Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Wobble at High Speed  (Read 4026 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Wobble at High Speed
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:12:39 PM »

This last weekend my buddy and I traded bikes for him to see the new vent in the fairing and I noticed his bike developed a bad and dangerous wobble above 85mph. We talked about at length and he said there was a time when the bike was new,2011 that the condition was not present. He has had the steering head bearings worked and a front wheel bearing replaced and there have only been small and temporary reprieves from the condition. I think he stated that the condition appeared for the first time after a tire change?

What does he need to have checked and fixed?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Wobble at High Speed
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 04:56:49 PM »

It could easily be an improperly mounted tire, or a defective tire.  I had that same situation in the past after having new tires installed, except instead of a wobble I had a weave (rear end moves side to side).  If he wants to verify it's the tires and not anything else on the bike, one way to do that is to swap wheels and tires with another bike that doesn't have an issue.  Time consuming I know, but I doubt any shop is going to just assume the tire is defective and replace it.  And of course if both tires were changed, then they would still be guessing as to which one might be causing the problem.

I wish there was a simple and reliable way to test for this sort of thing, but if there is I'm not aware of it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »

What year and model of bike does he have?

There are a number of different speculations on this issue.  The one that seems to make sense to me.....because it didn't do it at first but started a little later......is that the neck bearings aren't seated at the factory.

So while they check the fall away and all seems within spec and maybe it is a bit better for a brief period of time, then the bearings fall further into the seated position and the problem returns.....and will keep returning until the bearings are completely seated and then tightened to spec.

Others have different perspectives.   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »

my 2011 threw the wheel weight loose (while at speed) and wobbled really bad! had tire balanced and wheel weight installed. wobble cured! some have suggested dyna beads. I have not tried them. I think I would look at the steering neck bearing also!! maybe, a new tire it could be out of round?

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:06:47 PM »

This last weekend my buddy and I traded bikes for him to see the new vent in the fairing and I noticed his bike developed a bad and dangerous wobble above 85mph. We talked about at length and he said there was a time when the bike was new,2011 that the condition was not present. He has had the steering head bearings worked and a front wheel bearing replaced and there have only been small and temporary reprieves from the condition. I think he stated that the condition appeared for the first time after a tire change?

What does he need to have checked and fixed?
You need to balance your tyres.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »

I had this issue also. After having the steering head bearings properly adjusted and after changing the tires it went away BUT after 4 sets of tires I find that anything above 170 KM the bike still feels very unstable. I believe that the bat wing works like a peace of plywood. Saying that my buddy who has a 2012 Ultra with a Stage 4 kit can do 185 KM and his scoot is sable and just floats along with NO wobble.

I cannot verify this but I am starting to think that the 19 inch front rim and tire has something to do with knocking off the level of the bike at high speeds. :nixweiss:

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 03:15:22 AM »

Funny coincidence. I had my front tire replaced two weeks ago. Had it out on the highway for the first time since the new tire. 90-95 the front end starts wobbling. I had this bike to 110-120 many times before and never a wobble. Thanks for the input everyone... I plan to hit up the dealer on Thursday.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »

I've seen guys go to great lengths to cure the dreaded wobble. Often it can be as simple as a wheel bearing which it often is after not doing it before. You mentioned you replaced the front, how about the rear? I developed a wobble at high speeds and it turned out to be wheel bearing's. These sealed bearing's leave a lot to be desired IMO.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

cvo1717

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BREAKOUT BLACK SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO FATBOB BLACK DENIM HELLFIRE FLAMES TRADED IN
    • CVO3: 2020 CVO street glide
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »

I also had the high speed wobble and i changed the back tire and used the dyna bead ,the wobble went away
I adjusted the neck bearings first but that did not help
Mike
2013 CVO BREAKOUT 117 KIT
ROSAS HEADS WOODS TW 8-6 CAM
RB RACING 2 INTO 1 PROSTOCK CHALLENGE PIPE
130 HP  134 TQ STD
126 hp   131 TQ SAE

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 08:27:50 PM »

my 2011 threw the wheel weight loose (while at speed) and wobbled really bad! had tire balanced and wheel weight installed. wobble cured! some have suggested dyna beads. I have not tried them. I think I would look at the steering neck bearing also!! maybe, a new tire it could be out of round?

Same here... Without a thorough cleaning the wheel weights won't stick well on chrome. I had new tires installed in December and a few weeks ago, another guy re-balanced my front wheel. He said a half ounce was missing.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »

From my point of view the Bat Wing Fairings are not are dynamic.  My FXR4 has no high speed wobble. I gave had it over 120 several times on good roads or better bridges. I have a clamp on windshield. I have done over 100 with it no issues.  The 120 was sitting straight up with no windshield.  No wobble

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »

I have a low speed wobble I just noticed. It happens between 35-40 mph. Anyone else experience this type and is the underlying cause generally the same as a high speed wobble?

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »

Low speed wobble. Is that with or without hands on the handlebars? Bike geometry, Weight distribution, rake, fork length comes into play when at low speed riding without hands.

plustiano

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Ultra Violet Blue/Lava Orange
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »

I have a low speed wobble I just noticed. It happens between 35-40 mph. Anyone else experience this type and is the underlying cause generally the same as a high speed wobble?

Had the same issue on my bike. Ended up being a bad front tire. Bike was new! road it for awhile SM said should be safe until my appointment and what a big difference in feel after the replacement. SM first told me it might be the bearing or wheel weight came off. Anyways, he told me front tire had a lump on it and replaced under warranty of course.

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 10:21:02 AM »

My bike has always felt unstable at 100+MPH.  I wouldn't call it a wobble but it feels as if the front end is too light and it gives the sensation that the front wheel is lifting off the ground; especially if there's a curve in the road.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 10:37:51 AM »

I had this low speed wobble years ago and it was after changing tires. Had the front one rebalance twice and then asked if they could look for flaws in the tire itself. He came back shortly saying there is a small hump in it. New tire problem solved.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.