Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Tires & Mileage  (Read 3129 times)

crasha51pan

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MT

• Nam Vets MC
Tires & Mileage
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »

PSA......
Ran across this site, and a thread on Tires & Mileage ... Dunlop American Elite for one.
Saw all kinds of claims on rear tire mileage. I am in the market for a new set myself, for reasons I will lay out below....
Bought a new 2019 Road King FLHR October 2018. It ran the Dunlop 407's. I have been riding for 50 years and have never gotten such "poor" rear tire mileage, likewise I have never gotten the kind of mileage some claim (20,000 / 30,000). My best on the rear has been 9,500 with a Dunlop E-3 (that they said would not fir my 2006 Road King).
Here is why I'm looking for a new set of tires now. 6,631 miles ?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Tires & Mileage
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 11:57:02 AM »

Burnouts?   :nixweiss:

Tire mileage is subjective and variable.  Maintain proper inflation, ride on roads that aren't tire eaters (twisties, road surface, etc.), 1 up vs 2 up, and riding styles all impact tire mileage.  One rider might get 25k, another might get 5k.

Proper inflation is most important to get the max out of tire life, no matter conditions or riding styles.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:39:04 PM »

This hole mileage discussion always confuses me.  Tires are round.  Miles are straight.  Uh....  :nixweiss:

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 03:08:11 PM »

This hole mileage discussion always confuses me.  Tires are round.  Miles are straight.  Uh....  :nixweiss:

Not all miles are straight but all Pi R square, Don... :huepfenlol2: :bananarock:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 03:22:51 PM »

Not only to mention, how do they determine the age of that mile?

Also if you have a car or truck why do they want you to rotate your tires? Don't they do that when the spin on the axle?  :huepfenlol2:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 04:11:04 PM »

Not only to mention, how do they determine the age of that mile?

Also if you have a car or truck why do they want you to rotate your tires? Don't they do that when the spin on the axle?  :huepfenlol2:

The Earth is rotating, everything after that is a result of that.  ???

Can we talk about the advantages of nitrogen vs air?  If we all switched to nitrogen, none of this would be a problem, dammit.   :-\

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »

I have a 2015 limited, ride 2 up 70% of the time and over loaded on all trip when leaving home, picking up a Bushtec next week to alleviate that problem.
I just checked the tread depth with 16,000 miles on this tire and shows a little over 4/32 at the center and fairly even as I check depth towards the outer edge of tread.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 05:01:11 PM »

The Earth is rotating, everything after that is a result of that.  ???

Can we talk about the advantages of nitrogen vs air?  If we all switched to nitrogen, none of this would be a problem, dammit.   :-\

Well first off (bitch), just last month I had a flat tire on a tire filled with nitrogen.  So that (censored) will keep a tire inflated no better than any other gas (if the tire has a big assed hole in it).  So nitrogen sucks.  Unless there's a hole in the tire.  Then it blows.  'nuff said.

Don't even get me started on speed and rotation.  Earth has a sidereal period (did we even know it was female?) of 23 hours and 56 minutes.  I mean who has a sidereal period precisely that long?  It's just nuts (that was a bad choice of words).  That means that at circumference we're going like a thousand miles an hour!!   I am SO GLAD I ride in the middle  US rather than at the circumference of the earth.  At the freaking circumference I'd fly the hell off the planet!

Even riding in the central US we're still screwed though.  Going around the damned sun at 67,000  miles per hour.  67 THOUSAND MILES AN HOUR.  It's a good thing we're all old and fat anymore or we'd blow the hell off in the face of the solar wind!!

Hell, our own solar system station wagon of a collection of planets is flying through the universe at 1500 miles per hour.  That black hole (not racist) in the center of our solar system is getting 1500 miles closer every day.  EVERY DAY !! :oops:

Also, synthetic.

But I digress.....

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 03:49:17 AM »

Well first off (bitch), just last month I had a flat tire on a tire filled with nitrogen.  So that (censored) will keep a tire inflated no better than any other gas (if the tire has a big assed hole in it).  So nitrogen sucks.  Unless there's a hole in the tire.  Then it blows.  'nuff said.

Don't even get me started on speed and rotation.  Earth has a sidereal period (did we even know it was female?) of 23 hours and 56 minutes.  I mean who has a sidereal period precisely that long?  It's just nuts (that was a bad choice of words).  That means that at circumference we're going like a thousand miles an hour!!   I am SO GLAD I ride in the middle  US rather than at the circumference of the earth.  At the freaking circumference I'd fly the hell off the planet!

Even riding in the central US we're still screwed though.  Going around the damned sun at 67,000  miles per hour.  67 THOUSAND MILES AN HOUR.  It's a good thing we're all old and fat anymore or we'd blow the hell off in the face of the solar wind!!

Hell, our own solar system station wagon of a collection of planets is flying through the universe at 1500 miles per hour.  That black hole (not racist) in the center of our solar system is getting 1500 miles closer every day.  EVERY DAY !! :oops:

Also, synthetic.

But I digress.....

I like cheeseburgers.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 09:40:38 AM »

I like cheeseburgers.

Cheeseburger pie would be awesome.

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 10:05:50 AM »

With BACON, please!

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 01:21:24 PM »

burnouts are fun... I used to be one   ??? and cheeseburgers.... a must  :2vrolijk_21:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Dinger1990

• Junior CVO Member
    • SK

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »

I propose bacon become it’s own food group.  :jalapeno:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »

I propose bacon become it’s own food group.  :jalapeno:

Sleeping in then having bacon wrapped bacon with a side of donut  for brunch followed by a plate of mini-cheeseburgers (sharp cheddar on Angus with bacon) mid-afternoon snack followed by a nap and an evening ride of at least one hour to dinner (that includes pie) is just about a perfect day.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 04:35:48 PM »

Also, synthetic.

But I digress.....

Don,
Did you calculate all that riding East or West? And how fast were you traveling in that direction....  :nixweiss:
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 04:38:34 PM »

Sleeping in then having bacon wrapped bacon with a side of donut  for brunch followed by a plate of mini-cheeseburgers (sharp cheddar on Angus with bacon) mid-afternoon snack followed by a nap and an evening ride of at least one hour to dinner (that includes pie) is just about a perfect day.

And we get to eat all that due to really good pills so as to prevent clogged arteries
Most great stores start with a bad decision

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 10:00:55 AM »

Indubitably.

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 03:48:04 PM »

My personal experience on 3 different 2011,12,13 touring bikes is that dunlop american elites with tire pressure checked twice weekly, rear tires will last between 19000 and 25000 miles.

No other tire I have ever ridden this long.

I really like Michelin scotches as well but the 2 sets I have had the rear tires lasted 19k and 21k respectively.

Of course I went dark side on the 18 heritage anniversary

Put 28k miles on that rear tire in 6 months... looked brand new still, not even 25% tread loss...
2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 11:59:51 PM »

My personal experience on 3 different 2011,12,13 touring bikes is that dunlop american elites with tire pressure checked twice weekly, rear tires will last between 19000 and 25000 miles.

No other tire I have ever ridden this long.

I really like Michelin scotches as well but the 2 sets I have had the rear tires lasted 19k and 21k respectively.

Of course I went dark side on the 18 heritage anniversary

Put 28k miles on that rear tire in 6 months... looked brand new still, not even 25% tread loss...
Its all about riding style. Could never get 5000 miles on either stock tires or Michelin C2's. Put AE's on and got 7500 miles on rear which was best of all so I was happy..
Alan
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.