Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kickstand for lowered bike  (Read 1091 times)

Robs.Hog

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

Kickstand for lowered bike
« on: February 11, 2020, 12:16:21 AM »

So I have a 2011 CVO Electra Glide that I lowered 2" in the rear and 1.75" in the front. Now that I have done this I need to find a new kickstand for the bike but so far all the ads I have seen say there wont work on my bike (??). Does anyone know what the part number would be or where to get one?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Kickstand for lowered bike
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 01:30:22 AM »

You do not need a different kickstand; just a different spacer between the kickstand and the frame. You should be able to find one for a lowered bike on the Harley website.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Robs.Hog

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 03:56:08 AM »

Not sure if I explained it well enough, sorry

With the bike lowered now using the original kickstand the bike sits up too straight and wants to fall over. Where the stand attaches to the frame is also where and how the foot pad attaches so you cant simply place a couple washers behind one bolt to change the angle.

What I need is a shorter or what they call a "-1" stand

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:12:40 AM »

What Greg is talking about is a wedge shaped spacer that makes the stand extend out further where it touches the ground, thus increasing the lean angle much like a shorter arm would.  I haven't seen an actual shorter stand in the Harley catalog for a long time, there are aftermarket offerings such as those below:

https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-specialties/chrome-kickstand-0510-0266.p509499.prd/509499.sku

https://www.denniskirk.com/pingel/2-in-lowered-kickstand-62252.p508960.prd/508960.sku

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:29:39 AM »

I also have a lowered bike front & rear, and years ago my H-D dealer installed the wedge Greg is referring to and it works great!

Much cheaper than replacing the entire stand and works just as well.   :2vrolijk_21:

If you inquire at your dealer I'm sure they will know about the wedge.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Robs.Hog

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »

I get the idea of the wedge. Wouldn't that though require changing the footboard angle as well since the kickstand mount is part of the foot board mount?

All I have ever seen were the 1inch shorter stands, but all of them said they weren't compatible with my bike. Now I see there is also one that's 2 inches shorter. (BTW thanks for your guys help).

I suppose to figure out which one would be best I could run the tires up on a 1" and then a 2" pieces of plywood to see how the stock stand works?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 01:58:11 PM »

I get the idea of the wedge. Wouldn't that though require changing the footboard angle as well since the kickstand mount is part of the foot board mount?

All I have ever seen were the 1inch shorter stands, but all of them said they weren't compatible with my bike. Now I see there is also one that's 2 inches shorter. (BTW thanks for your guys help).

I suppose to figure out which one would be best I could run the tires up on a 1" and then a 2" pieces of plywood to see how the stock stand works?

:2vrolijk_21:

You may be right about the wedges, but I'd recommend you take Grizzly's advice about asking local dealership mechanics.  The footboard support isn't a part of the jiffy stand bracket, one of the supports bolts does go through the jiffy stand bracket.  As long as you use the longer bolts that come with the wedge kit, it may work fine.  The wedges don't change the angle at the bracket all that much, maybe 5° for most, but extended out to the end of the actual stand it makes a significant difference.  Another thing to consider is how that angle change might affect the stand when it's folded up, the rubber bumper may not make contact with the frame the same way as it did before.  Just some things to go over with that experienced mechanic.

JMHO - Jerry
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:53:54 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 02:21:57 PM »

I did a Google search for the Harley kickstand wedge. There are plenty of them. Pick the one that matches your bike.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »

Pingel sells a 1" and a 2" lowered kickstand.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Robs.Hog

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 04:44:56 PM »

So I haven't been able to find a wedge specific for my bike. I kinda wonder though if its just because when I do a compatibility check I specifically use the 2011 CVO Electra Glide FLHTCUSE6 as my model (which it is) yet when it comes to the stand I would think that just a reg Electra Glide should be the same (frames are the same right?).

As for a wedge, would it cause the stand to drag at all in a lean? I have been told by a few people that it would. 

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 06:35:41 PM »

So I haven't been able to find a wedge specific for my bike. I kinda wonder though if its just because when I do a compatibility check I specifically use the 2011 CVO Electra Glide FLHTCUSE6 as my model (which it is) yet when it comes to the stand I would think that just a reg Electra Glide should be the same (frames are the same right?).

As for a wedge, would it cause the stand to drag at all in a lean? I have been told by a few people that it would.
Your bike, stock, was not Lord. So, you're not going to find a wedge in any compatibility search. Have the parts guy at your Harley dealer get you the wedge that was used on the Ultra Low models from the last few years. Those bikes were lowered from the factory and no doubt used the same wedge that you need.

Anytime a bike has been lowered it will have a greater tendency to scrape when turning. Most Harleys scrape the kickstand on the left side and the floorboard on the right. It's not the wedge that makes the difference.

The 2009 SERG3 bikes came lowered from the factory and all stood up too straight when on their kickstands. Though not a safety recall, Harley had us all come back and they either installed a wedge for us or gave us one that we could put on ourselves. It's very easy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sawyer Brown

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.