Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Z-pads  (Read 1860 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Z-pads
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:14:50 PM »

Just put LRB Z-pads on my 09 USE4 because I used them on my 2000 RK with great success.  I have put about a 100 miles on them since install and gotta say I am missing the HD pads.  I guess I got used to the abruptness of the HD pads and the fact two fingers was more than enough for the front brake.  The new Z-pads are certainly more progressive feeling but they sure don't feel as strong in the stopping power.  Maybe just some more time to get used to the difference...

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
Re: Z-pads
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:42:01 AM »

Interesting comment. I used Lyndall Z-pads on my  2000, and 2004 RK, and was very pleased with their performance.  They were better in EVERY way from the stock HD pads - stopping ability, noise, dust, physical pull on the lever - everything was better.  HOWEVER, on  my '08 wiith Brembo ABS, I have to say that the brakes are excellent with stock pads.  2 fingers to  haul it down from a high speed, no noise, virtually no dust, no fade - just constant braking.  I will go with the Lyndall pads when the time comes, but I have to say that Harley (Brembo) got it right the first time with these stock brakes.  These are the best brakes I  have ever had on a motorcycle.  I started this journey in the 70's on a Kawasaki 750 2 stroke that would peel your ears in a straight line, but wouldn't stop in a 40 acre pasture, so this ain't my first rodeo.

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:29:07 AM »

LRB gets lots of attention on this site and are the most popular brakes talked about here,,  Nice to see that a rep from Lyndall can chime in with a suggestion. :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 03:42:24 AM »

The service life generally averages about 18,000 miles.

Rick Miele
Manufacturer's Sales Rep
Lyndall Racing Brakes
What's the expected service life for the Z pads?   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:35:30 AM »

I have to tell you I've been using Lyndalls and even had them put on my 02 fatboy before it left the dealer new. they are some stand up people been dealing with them and their products on all of my bikes.

jmho  Glenn Mills
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:54:32 AM »

I have to tell you I've been using Lyndalls and even had them put on my 02 fatboy before it left the dealer new. they are some stand up people been dealing with them and their products on all of my bikes.

jmho  Glenn Mills

I couldn't agree more.  I talked to the Dad in 2000 when I was beyond frustration with my 2000 RK sounding like a garbage truck coming to a stop.  Bought the gold pads and was forever happy.  Never thought I would ever use anything else.  But now I am thinking more like this.

HOWEVER, on  my '08 wiith Brembo ABS, I have to say that the brakes are excellent with stock pads.  2 fingers to  haul it down from a high speed, no noise, virtually no dust, no fade - just constant braking.  I will go with the Lyndall pads when the time comes, but I have to say that Harley (Brembo) got it right the first time with these stock brakes.  These are the best brakes I  have ever had on a motorcycle.

Bill
My stock pads just two fingers and gentle pull and those brakes chomped down.  I miss that.  Just returned from Yellowstone riding a rental 2011 Roadglide 103 and can say I loved the brakes.  The rental had 230 miles on it when I picked it up.

I know how good of a company LRB is and I know there pads are not going to be noisy or have a bunch of brake dust and that is why I went this direction when replacing my original HD pads.  
I am not bad mouthing in any way LRB.   

Just wanting to give my opinion on the results.  
My original pads lasted 20,000miles and they never made any noise, they did create some brake dust but nothing bad.  
I just like the way immediate strong braking power of the originals.  I will give it a couple hundred more miles but right now I am leaning towards putting HD pads back on, at least the front.

I think LRB is an awesome company.  
Just my honest opinion so far.  

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:58:04 AM by guppytrash »

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »

Anybody know?

admccrea

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »

Anybody know?

x2 - i have a set on now with about 7,000 miles on them and they are starting to sqeek when i roll backwards down my driveway.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »

Lyndall claims an average life expectancy of around 18,000 miles with the Z compound.  Of course, what is normal for me may not be for you, since we don't all use the brakes in the same ways and under the same conditions.  I tend to be easy on brakes, and I've got 20k on my current set of Lyndalls and the pads are only a little more than 50% worn.  Don't change pads based on mileage, change them based on measured wear (like when there is 1/16" of pad material remaining). 

Flush the dirt and dust out of the calipers every once in awhile so the pistons don't stick, and don't get all excited about that little squeak when you apply the brakes the first time when backing out of the garage.  That's normal on any brake pads I've ever used, bike or car.  Tends to be worse on a car due to the iron rotors, but I still hear it on the bike as well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »

Been using LBR pads on the old Road Kings, thought they did a great job. I agree with Guppy, I like being able to use only two fingers on the front brake lever on my 09. So if the LBR pads are not working that way, I will have a decision to make when mine needs new pads.   
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:40 PM »

Just replaced the rear set on my 07 Ultra. They had 35,000 on them. The fronts have another at least another 10,000 left on them

I am fairly easy on brakes and do not believe in diving to a stop

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »

Like myself it appears everyone using the LRB's on an 07 or older have had great results. 

Am I the only one using the Z-pads on a "Brembo ABS" 2008 or newer?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 11:28:10 PM »

Am I the only one using the Z-pads on a "Brembo ABS" 2008 or newer?

One buddy here has them on his bike.  I know this because I installed them for him.  He's only got somewhere north of 15k miles on the pads.  No issues though.  They're not in service yet.  But the Brembo calipers for the Road King project are loaded with Lyndall pads also.  They'll get to make brake dust someday.....

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.