Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: handle bars hitting inner fairing  (Read 2839 times)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
handle bars hitting inner fairing
« on: August 11, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »

Ok not sure if this is the right topic area or not but it seemed proper.

I have a 13 FLHTCUSE8 that I purchased in May of 13. Two months ago I noticed that the inner fairing and handlebars had been rubbing on each other. I was upset and blamed it on the dealer set up. I went to my dealer and they ordered a new one and replaced it two weeks ago. Yesterday while showing the bike off to my brother he says " I thought you had the inner fairing replaced?" I said I did and I also made sure there was a space between the bars and the inner fairing when I picked it up.

He says well something is not right because I can see where the inner fairing and handlebars have been touching and rubbing on each other. I looked, and sure enough even though there is a 1/4" space between them you can see where they have hit and rubbed.
My question is....WHY? I cannot seem to find anything loose and the bars do move a bit but I cannot push them up against the inner fairing.
I have stated since new that this bike handling and ride is terrible and that my 08 FLHTCU rides and handles better than the CVO with the new frame and bigger tires.

Is there an underlying problem here that everyone is missing? Could the bars and inner fairing and poor handling all be related? I cannot take my hands off of the handle bars of this bike for even a split second. It will dive one way or the other in an instant! No other HD I have owned behaves that way.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: handle bars hitting inner fairing
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »

I cannot take my hands off of the handle bars of this bike for even a split second. It will dive one way or the other in an instant! No other HD I have owned behaves that way.

This is a problem in itself. JMO
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »

This is a problem in itself. JMO

Dick

I agree and have had it at the dealer several times and every time I mention how poorly it handles and rides and that I cannot take my hands off the handle bars and every time I get "we will check it out" and when I pick the bike up I get "Couldn't find anything wrong"

I know, I know, time to find a new dealer and I am working on that. Another dealer is replacing my heated grips and yet another dealer bailed me out one night when the ignition switch locked up and separated. All dealers are 45 - 60 minutes from my home so we will see...

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »

I can take my hands off the bars at 70 mpg and she stays straight down the road.

As far as touching the fairing, if they are close to begin with bars can be flexed forward and back. The risers have rubber or poly grommets and they will flex.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »

I’m finding the comments on this thread interesting… I had my dealer pull the forks on my FLHTCUSE8 Tribal and sent to Traxxion Dynamics over the winter for the AK-20 kit install. I also purchased some Bitubo rear shocks from them, so the suspension was upgraded before spring. My dealer replaced the forks and changed the shocks. I haven’t been riding much because I’m working on the west coast and live in Maine, but put on 1,000 miles in July on a road trip. What I found was the bike handled superbly on the highway – no complaints there. However, when coming to a stop and the throttle is released, the front end has a shimmy and feels pretty lame. I dropped the bike off before I left for the 1,000 mile service - it had 1,470 miles on it, and described what was going on. If using the throttle even at slow speeds I didn’t notice it, but when the motor isn’t pulling it’s a different issue. I had the service manager look it over and could see right away where that was going – first thing he said was, ‘well you changed the front end’ – no, same front end and you pulled and replaced it. I’m heading east for good this week and will be picking up the scoot as soon as I return to get some riding in. I know I’m going to hear the same thing Chief2505 noted, ‘Couldn't find anything wrong’. Has anyone else experienced this low speed issue?

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:00:51 PM »

I’m finding the comments on this thread interesting… I had my dealer pull the forks on my FLHTCUSE8 Tribal and sent to Traxxion Dynamics over the winter for the AK-20 kit install. I also purchased some Bitubo rear shocks from them, so the suspension was upgraded before spring. My dealer replaced the forks and changed the shocks. I haven’t been riding much because I’m working on the west coast and live in Maine, but put on 1,000 miles in July on a road trip. What I found was the bike handled superbly on the highway – no complaints there. However, when coming to a stop and the throttle is released, the front end has a shimmy and feels pretty lame. I dropped the bike off before I left for the 1,000 mile service - it had 1,470 miles on it, and described what was going on. If using the throttle even at slow speeds I didn’t notice it, but when the motor isn’t pulling it’s a different issue. I had the service manager look it over and could see right away where that was going – first thing he said was, ‘well you changed the front end’ – no, same front end and you pulled and replaced it. I’m heading east for good this week and will be picking up the scoot as soon as I return to get some riding in. I know I’m going to hear the same thing Chief2505 noted, ‘Couldn't find anything wrong’. Has anyone else experienced this low speed issue?

Interesting. Do you have wheel weights on? All of mine of both wheels have fallen off recently.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:20:03 PM »

Check the steering head bearing lubrication and preload.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:47:24 PM »

Not certain on the wheels weights Jswerve – I’ll check this out when I get back. I think it more likely Jerry nailed it – steering head bearing lube & preload. Wonder if my dealer knows what that means – LOL…  Thanks guys.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »

Not certain on the wheels weights Jswerve – I’ll check this out when I get back. I think it more likely Jerry nailed it – steering head bearing lube & preload. Wonder if my dealer knows what that means – LOL…  Thanks guys.

They don't use lube they just ram it in. Don't even give a reach around these days! LOL

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 08:39:44 AM »

At my 1,000 mile service they said they tightened the steering head bearings and that did not help at all. If I get within 500 feet of the back of a semi on the slab the buffeting of the fairing is way worse than any my head gets!

I keep forgetting to check the front tire to see if it is installed correctly.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 08:52:35 AM »

At my 1,000 mile service they said they tightened the steering head bearings and that did not help at all. If I get within 500 feet of the back of a semi on the slab the buffeting of the fairing is way worse than any my head gets!

I keep forgetting to check the front tire to see if it is installed correctly.

I had shimmy issues with mine at around 35k......it was my front wheel bearing. I doubt it's your issue, but you could look.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.