Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Possible Culprit for Poor XM Reception in 2014's with SiriusXM  (Read 22102 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Re: Possible Culprit for Poor XM Reception in 2014's with SiriusXM
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2014, 10:38:43 AM »

With a new bike under warranty I will ask the dealer to look into this. They just have to decide wether to be helpful or not.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »

The antenna location has always been an issue.  This is a link to what solved my reception a long, long time ago.  Still works:      http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=49487.0;all
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

Orangekrate

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »

I guess I'll try what you did on my own.  I told the Harley dealer to move it outside.  I said I'd rather see it and get reception that I'm paying for than to not see it and not get a signal.

I'll let you know.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 08:57:53 PM »

I moved my XM antenna outside the fairing and it is at least useable now.  Before you couldn't go down a 2 lane road with trees or you would lose the signal.  It's not perfect but a lot better.  Thanks.

Orangekrate

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2014, 10:45:14 AM »

I had mine moved to outside the faring and under the 3 pouch pockets at the windshield and it works great now.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »

I've moved mine outside and stuck it on the top side of the Garmin mount; works fine so far.   :2vrolijk_21:
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

Orangekrate

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »

I have a Garmin on my 2009 Road Glide CVO and I don't know where it is, but it's in the faring and it always worked fine.  I bought a 2014 Ultra Classic CVO and that was the one I had trouble with.  I told Harley that it was a manufacturer problem and it needed to be fixed.  So the least time I had it in, they moved it just to right of the new fairing vent and it sits under the three pocket windshield pouch I put on it.  Works great and you can't see it.  But I'd rather see the dang thing and it works more than I would like it hidden and it don't work.

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2014, 07:55:52 PM »

moved my antenna to opposite the vent button on top of the inner fairing...works great, very seldom lose the signal, big overpasses or trees completely covering the road, and sometimes, not even then.  a very happy change
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2007 Suzuki M109R Limited, still in the stable
    • CVO3: 2013 Road King CVO Crushed Sapphire - Traded
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »

Bought a new CVO Limited a little over a week ago and the only issue I'm experiencing is with the SAT radio reception.  The signal strength and reception quality shifts depending on my direction of travel and I think I may have found the culprit... poor placement of the SAT antenna.  A friend of mine provided me the XM module install instructions from HDMC (see attached) and as it's depicted on the second page, the SAT antenna gets tucked up near the back wall area of the fairing housing and next to some sort of housing/obstruction.  In fact, it looks like it sits behind a bundle of electrical wiring that appears to run directly in front of where the antenna would sit. 

In my 2013 FLHTCUSE8, the SAT antenna was placed up high above any obstructions inside the housing and had a clear line of reception to the SAT signal; thus, I had "zero" issues with the SAT radio reception in that bike - no matter which direction I traveled.  Did not expect such lousy reception in the new 2014 model.

I'm going to get with my tech and see about moving the SAT antenna out away from the obstructed location and out into the open under the fairing and see if that improves reception strength and alleviates the "direction" factor in order to listen to the SAT radio.

Will follow-up with the results after the antenna gets moved.

I followed your instructions word for word and pic for pic on my 14 CVO Limited.  It works flawlessly.  Yes you have your sitting under an overpass outage, but I have that in my car.  You help mark a huge frustration off my list!

I'm a lady and it took me 5 minutes to get the fairing off with putting a pair of fuzzy winter house socks over the aux lights, and less than 10 minutes to get it lined up and on again once the relocation was complete.  I did in the meantime spend 2 hours going to Lowes, home Depot and 4 other local hardware stores looking for the proper bracket. That was a joke.  I was so frustrated I prayed... lol Then, I look at your pic again and (no joke) God showed me that it was literally a window shade bracket that you would use when installing window treatments in your home.  I went back to home Depot, went to the window coverings section.  I asked if they sold them separately, they said no, but they had a bucket full of window shade parts and pick what I needed for free.  Boom!  There it was!  The U shaped bracket is only about an inch squared.  I use a magnet in their department to make sure it was really metal; it was!  I was out of there and home again. 10 mins later I was on a ride down my neighborhood tree lined street with signal!   

I would have taken a pic, but mine now looks exactly like yours!  Road Runner, thanks again for the great write-up! : ;D :orange: :huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock: :apple: :jalapeno:

2014 CVO Limited SE Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire. Mods: TTS Tuner, FullSac DX Headers, 4" Rinehart Slip On's, SE Extreme Ventilator A/C, Chrome Laser Heat Shield, HD Lower 2.5" Daymaker Reflector LED Fogs, Custom Dynamics LED front and Rear Turn Signals, Adj Hwy Pegs, Split Vision Mirrors, Boom Shorty Antenna's, SoftBrake Brake & footboard Ext, CD Accent LED's, 10" LA Chopper Twin Peaks Bars, 9" LRS Dark Tint

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »

The Harley test riders either don't listen to the xm or they tell their superior it doesn't work properly and nothing is done. Then they have the gall to say they tested something new for 100k miles. The xm is totally useless on the 14 unless the antenna position is changed as stated.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2014, 09:08:07 AM »

My results of XM antenna location(s), your results may vary.

stock location-poor reception.

relocate xm antenna under faring as described in this thread-poor reception.

relocate xm antenna to top of fairing by vent button-great reception.

FWIW

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2014, 06:28:51 AM »

My results of XM antenna location(s), your results may vary.

stock location-poor reception.

relocate xm antenna under faring as described in this thread-poor reception.

relocate xm antenna to top of fairing by vent button-great reception.

FWIW

I've tried the relocation within the fairing also with no improvement.  I will relocate the antenna next to the vent.

MGCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »

Relocated the antenna this past weekend and it makes a world of difference on the outside of the fairing, FYI these antennas are very sensitive, for example: sitting in the driveway I would have 3 bars for reception if I put my finger very lightly over the antenna it would go to 1 bar or even 0 bars.

Thanks to all for the info from this site, I can now enjoy listening to Howard Stern.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=49487.0;attach=151789;image
If you want good , continuous reception put a GOOD external antenna on the XM unit.  Ugly?  Maybe, but you will have "perfect" reception. >:( :beatdeadhorse:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:35:29 PM by CVORick »
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2014, 07:39:43 PM »

Relocated the antenna this past weekend and it makes a world of difference on the outside of the fairing, FYI these antennas are very sensitive, for example: sitting in the driveway I would have 3 bars for reception if I put my finger very lightly over the antenna it would go to 1 bar or even 0 bars.

Thanks to all for the info from this site, I can now enjoy listening to Howard Stern.

Same location as mine except mine is on the top flat surface of the GPS mount, works like a charm; I highly recommend moving the antenna outside the fairing.
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 22 queries.