Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Updated ESP pricing  (Read 16114 times)

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
Updated ESP pricing
« on: September 17, 2014, 06:41:11 AM »

Wanted to see if anybody had a good spot with a good price to get the ESP.  I did get it on last bike from a recommended dealer here and got a great price, helped sell the bike when I got the new one.  But he was told not to sell them out of state for a while.  I hate paying for something like this anyway but on the last bike ended up having $3000 worth of motor work done on a 2 year old bike with 7000 miles on it.  Im surprised how all over the board the local dealers are on it.  In some cases $1000 difference.  So if you have a dealer that gave you a good price on a 3 yr extension to factory, please let me know as I have until Nov to get it.
Thanks

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
Re: Updated ESP pricing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »

It would be great if some folks who recently purchased an ESP wouldn't mind telling us what they paid for there ESP and for how long. Not asking where or who to call but rather for haggling purposes.  8)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »

I’m not bashful about this issue… I paid $1,794 for a five year program last month with wheel and tire protection through my dealership in Maine. My factory warranty expires in February but they expected a price increase when the 2015’s hit the floor so I acted sooner. The ESP takes over when the factory warranty expires. I did a good deal of research, firstly to decide if this was worth pursuing or not – still undecided on this by the way, and several leads that were supposedly better deals at less cost didn’t pan out. I solicited five quotes; my dealer at the cost noted was the least expensive of three quotes that I could substantiate.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »

I wonder about how picky the ESP companies are about modified bikes? I mean who has a bone stock bike these days? I can understand having to repair electrical components and non motor issues but I could see how some might make an argument that having pipes and an ECU modification(tune) alters the bike and therefore void any claims. I would like to see the fine print on one of the contracts. Does altering the motor disqualify the entire bike for claims made on non motor issues?

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »

The consensus appears to be 'it depends'... It's been stated here that one should never take the word of your dealer unless in writing, probably a good practice. In my case, I have a good relationship with my dealer, not to say I'm not overpaying or anything, but they know me and I've purchased three bikes from them. I asked the service manager about each mod explicitly before I bought the ESP because l didn't want  to spend the money without verification - this was not even a month ago. Engine work could definitely be an issue, but there are lots of other components it covers that shouldn't be affected. Probably you wouldn't know for sure before a catastrophic event and things are put to the test. There's risk certainly but they can only ding me once. PM me with your email if you wish and I'll send you a copy of my contract for review Dr.D...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »

The real issue is that ultimately the decision to cover or not cover a particular failure rests with the ESP company (CNA), not with the dealership.  So even if you have a great relationship with your dealership, and they've promised you they will take care of you, there are many times when they are overruled by the inspector from CNA.  And yes, if you dig into all the fine print you will find that they have given themselves very wide latitude to deny claims if you have altered the bike, used nonstandard parts, or even if you have installed a trailer hitch.  They don't need to catch you towing, they just assume if you have the bike set up for towing then you tow.  Since this is not a warranty that's regulated by federal law, but rather a service contract, they can put all the restrictions they want in those contracts.

I have always recommended that people obtain a copy of the full contract before agreeing to buy an ESP, but I'm sure the vast majority just believe the BS sales pitch from the dealership and sign on the dotted line.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »

I'm still happy with the idea I came up with a few years ago.  When you buy your bike, set aside the cost of the ESP in a savings account, bond, or stocks.  When your factory warranty runs out, the money for the ESP is still in your control and you can use it as you see fit/need it for any repairs.  You have the freedom to mod to your hearts content without concern that any claim for repairs might be turned down.  Plus, you have a bit more freedom to negotiate a cash deal depending on the extent/cost of any mechanical failure.  I know a good portion of us will roll the cost of the ESP into the deal in financing so setting aside the cash may not be an option for you in that case and may be a bit harder to come up with that kind of money to save.
Think about it this way.  If you purchase the HD model of your choice along with a extended service plan and run out the 2 year warranty and say keep it past the years you purchased for the ESP (3, 4 or 5 year extended contract in most cases) and DON'T use the ESP for any repairs, your money is gone.  If you are able to take the option discussed and set that $1,200 to $2,500 (price range based on length of contract and shopped-around price) and go through the 2 year factory and keep it the additional 3-5 years, when you sell/trade your bike, you still have your money plus some depending on how fruitful you are with savings.

As one of our local talk show hosts says all the time "Something to think about"........
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:52:48 AM by Haird »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »

Good points all.  I think how much you ride can make a big difference in the decision.  Me, I ride an average of about 20k per year so the miles pile up pretty fast.  In my case the ESP is a must and has saved me $,$$$ on the four bikes I've kept long enough to get out of factory warranty.  Except for my 2012 I've always waited until just before the factory warranty expired to purchase the ESP.  But on the 2012 I wanted to add the wheel and tire coverage so I'd have that even during the time the factory warranty was in effect.  Good thing too since I damaged a wheel and it paid for the wheel and tire - oh yeah, and two more tires that picked up nails.  And the ESP is a bit cheaper ($150 when I bought it I think) if you buy it within the first 90 days of ownership I think it is.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 03:17:28 PM »

You are absolutely correct Jerry… The dealer may be powerless, or even worse, simply use the ESP provider as an excuse to stiff you when the time comes. I paid for the ESP after the fact – not part of the deal or in the financing, figuring if I were to make the purchase this was the best action available in a poor situation – this is the first ESP I’d ever purchasing. There is a definite risk of little or no recovery as I stated previously – I actually hope I never need it for anything with my bike. I decided to pay and when the time comes to mod the engine for reliability reasons, I’d cancel it and take whatever funds they’d return with at least some protection in the meantime. I recognize your response wasn’t directed at me personally – and I really do value your unique input on this and other matters you address in the forum, but I’ve been engaged in the business world many years and clearly understand the concept of theory versus practice in performance. My decision wasn’t predicated upon BS from some mid-level employee at the dealership. As stated, they have only one opportunity to stiff me. If/when that should ever occur you’ll know – the incident I’ll promote afterwards will probably make the national news – LOL…
Haird – your plan is sensible and a good one. I’m far from wealthy, but my plan entailed both an ESP purchase and banking the equivalent funds - I’ve got some redundancy.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

If you are able to take the option discussed and set that $1,200 to $2,500 (price range based on length of contract and shopped-around price) and go through the 2 year factory and keep it the additional 3-5 years, when you sell/trade your bike, you still have your money plus some depending on how fruitful you are with savings.

that's assuming of course that you won't have a lifter problem or a compensator problem or any number of other problems that is common with our cvo's.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 09:14:14 AM »

My biggest bitch about the ESP is that it has to break in order to use it.

I would rather do preventive maintaince and replace those parts that have proven to be week as opposed to riding a bike with a lit fuse :'(

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »

Good points all.  I think how much you ride can make a big difference in the decision.  Me, I ride an average of about 20k per year so the miles pile up pretty fast.  In my case the ESP is a must and has saved me $,$$$ on the four bikes I've kept long enough to get out of factory warranty.  Except for my 2012 I've always waited until just before the factory warranty expired to purchase the ESP.  But on the 2012 I wanted to add the wheel and tire coverage so I'd have that even during the time the factory warranty was in effect.  Good thing too since I damaged a wheel and it paid for the wheel and tire - oh yeah, and two more tires that picked up nails.  And the ESP is a bit cheaper ($150 when I bought it I think) if you buy it within the first 90 days of ownership I think it is.

Jerry,

I have to agree with your post all around. Here is my experience.

Most of the mods on my bike were made by my dealer. My bike is 4 yrs old with 59k miles. I have had to use the ESP coverage at least 4 times on this bike. My return on investment in the ESP is at least 100% over that 4 years.

1. I had a clutch bearing go on me and got the whole clutch pack assembly replaced and they also discovered the door cover bearing was worn out and replaced it.
2. Then is was leaking gasket at the heads.
3. And a cracked oil pan.

They covered the rental car in case #1 for 5 days. I probably could have gotten my room reimbursed but it was my destination and I already have the room booked. If you are going to breakdown, nice to breakdown once you arrive at your destination.

In all cases, the dealer never asked about modifications and it's in the best interest of the dealer to not even bring it up as long as they are getting paid for their work/parts. Also, the ESP agents have never asked about mods either. The only mod I know of that will kill a warranty automatically is putting a trailer hitch on your bike.

Regarding pricing on ESP, I have been shopping a new bike (FLTRUSE) and got the following quotes so far. I believe this pricing will vary by model though the majority are likely looking at a touring bike.

Dealer        2+3 ESP   2+5 ESP
#1              $1900      $2700
#2              $2100      $2700
#3              $1644      $2399

#3 offered to work up a better deal on the price of the ESP.

I have heard of others doing even better on ESP pricing with recent purchases but I will leave it to them to share their information.

For me, it's just a matter of deciding to go for +3 or +5yrs. Given that you can't extend once you hit 75k miles, it might be a good strategy to do a +3 and then re-up for an additional +5yrs if that is even allowed per the HD/Insurance rules.

More than $0.02

DH

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »

Jerry,

I have to agree with your post all around. Here is my experience.

Most of the mods on my bike were made by my dealer. My bike is 4 yrs old with 59k miles. I have had to use the ESP coverage at least 4 times on this bike. My return on investment in the ESP is at least 100% over that 4 years.

1. I had a clutch bearing go on me and got the whole clutch pack assembly replaced and they also discovered the door cover bearing was worn out and replaced it.
2. Then is was leaking gasket at the heads.
3. And a cracked oil pan.

They covered the rental car in case #1 for 5 days. I probably could have gotten my room reimbursed but it was my destination and I already have the room booked. If you are going to breakdown, nice to breakdown once you arrive at your destination.

In all cases, the dealer never asked about modifications and it's in the best interest of the dealer to not even bring it up as long as they are getting paid for their work/parts. Also, the ESP agents have never asked about mods either. The only mod I know of that will kill a warranty automatically is putting a trailer hitch on your bike.

Regarding pricing on ESP, I have been shopping a new bike (FLTRUSE) and got the following quotes so far. I believe this pricing will vary by model though the majority are likely looking at a touring bike.

Dealer        2+3 ESP   2+5 ESP
#1              $1900      $2700
#2              $2100      $2700
#3              $1644      $2399

#3 offered to work up a better deal on the price of the ESP.

I have heard of others doing even better on ESP pricing with recent purchases but I will leave it to them to share their information.

For me, it's just a matter of deciding to go for +3 or +5yrs. Given that you can't extend once you hit 75k miles, it might be a good strategy to do a +3 and then re-up for an additional +5yrs if that is even allowed per the HD/Insurance rules.

More than $0.02

DH

Below are the list prices given today for ESP w/tire and wheel for a Street Glide.  Will be discussing discount when picking up bike.

36 month - $1124
48 month - $1379
60 month - $1644
72 month - $1984
84 month - $2399

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »

Wanted to see if anybody had a good spot with a good price to get the ESP.  I did get it on last bike from a recommended dealer here and got a great price, helped sell the bike when I got the new one.  But he was told not to sell them out of state for a while.  I hate paying for something like this anyway but on the last bike ended up having $3000 worth of motor work done on a 2 year old bike with 7000 miles on it.  Im surprised how all over the board the local dealers are on it.  In some cases $1000 difference.  So if you have a dealer that gave you a good price on a 3 yr extension to factory, please let me know as I have until Nov to get it.
Thanks

I live in SoCal but bought my ESP from Jim Palmer (Kutter HD) in WI
It was a pleasure to do business with him plus he beat all the other quotes I had from this area.
JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 05:04:19 PM »

My ESP expires Sept. 18, 2015. I called on it and they said it was too early to schedule a renewal, but if I called 2 months in advance I would get a discount. So that means I will be calling late June or July. When it happens I will post what my cost is. I paid $1700.00 for the original one which gets me to Sept. 18 2015 and I have way over half my money back on it. Compensator, Fork seal, bad seal in rear shock, and new front tire. Based on Kiro's price in his post I am going to call every dealership in the state of Maine. So far I have only called one, Big Moose Harley Davidson. They quoted me $2629.00 including wheel and tire coverage. Just for the record I called HD customer service and I was told that they don't care if you live in Ca. and buy your coverage in another state. The coverage will still be honored at any Harley Davidson Dealer. If anyone has proof that this is wrong let me know and I will go buy from my local dealer who quoted me $2700.00, but when he found out I was really serious he asked me to come in and we could negotiate the price. Thanks in Advance. CAHDBIKER
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:07:24 AM by cahdbiker »

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »

I guess they had to get me somewhere... I paid 2500.00 for the 2+5 (tires included) on the 2014 RK CVO... Orlando, FL
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 10:37:34 AM »

Saw a post where Kutter HD was now selling a different ESP that looks to be similar to the one that been around a while.  Think this new one is by Cornerstone that does a lot of other vehicle warrantees.  Its quite a bit lower priced than the ones sold by HD dealers so will be interesting to see how it works out.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »

Saw a post where Kutter HD was now selling a different ESP that looks to be similar to the one that been around a while.  Think this new one is by Cornerstone that does a lot of other vehicle warrantees.  Its quite a bit lower priced than the ones sold by HD dealers so will be interesting to see how it works out.
Wonder how many Harley dealers (if any) will accept the Cornerstone ESP as payment.  Not a motorcycle related event but similar circumstances - friend had a Ford with third party ESP and dealer refused to honor it.  Said he did not deal with the ESP company and did not want to deal with getting authorization for repair, payment, etc.  Friend had to pay up front and then file claim with his ESP.  I'm thinking that many dealers will not be inclined to deal with an ESP other than Harley's.  Be interesting to see how this shakes out when repairs are needed.

IBA member # 45520

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »

Friend had to pay up front and then file claim with his ESP

That is an interesting point... I can imagine a dealership making this argument just to be difficult, but both ESP's, CNA or Cornerstone, are aftermarket products.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »

Wonder how many Harley dealers (if any) will accept the Cornerstone ESP as payment.  Not a motorcycle related event but similar circumstances - friend had a Ford with third party ESP and dealer refused to honor it.  Said he did not deal with the ESP company and did not want to deal with getting authorization for repair, payment, etc.  Friend had to pay up front and then file claim with his ESP.  I'm thinking that many dealers will not be inclined to deal with an ESP other than Harley's.  Be interesting to see how this shakes out when repairs are needed.

When I worked for several Chrysler stores the standard was - Chrysler ESP worked just like the original manufacturers warranty as far as the customer was concerned.
Any non Chrysler product was "you pay us and then you try and collect from your contract company".
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »

I guess it depends on whether they want the work or not.  Don't forget you don't have to use a Harley dealership for ESP work, either the one H-D promotes and sells, or the Cornerstone version.  Anyone who has a good independent shop in their area should talk to that shop and see if they are approved by the ESP company and will accept assignment and file the claim for you.  If not, you can still pay the bill and then submit the claim to the ESP folks yourself.  Very similar to how things work in the healthcare business.  If you go to a nonparticipating provider that won't file your claim, you get a detailed bill and submit the claim yourself.  Yes, it's not as seamless and convenient that way.  But in some cases if you want better care (or service) than you can get with a participating provider or a Harley dealership, it's worth it to spend a little time filing claims yourself.

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:56:39 AM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »

That is an interesting point... I can imagine a dealership making this argument just to be difficult, but both ESP's, CNA or Cornerstone, are aftermarket products.
Yeah, but . . . CNA's is sold by Harley (and blessed by them), Cornerstone's is not.  Might want to check with your preferred dealer to avoid being caught in a pizzing contest between the dealer and the ESP. 

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »

I guess it depends on whether they want the work or not.  Don't forget you don't have to use a Harley dealership for ESP work, either the one H-D promotes and sells, or the Cornerstone version.  Anyone who has a good independent shop in their area should talk to that shop and see if they are approved by the ESP company and will accept assignment and file the claim for you.  If not, you can still pay the bill and then submit the claim to the ESP folks yourself.

Jerry
Understand and agree.  But if the repair is major and there is a difference of opinion between the dealer and the ESP there could be a problem.  Unfortunately we don't have any indys in our area so we have to deal with the moco dealers.

IBA member # 45520

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »

Unfortunately we don't have any indys in our area so we have to deal with the moco dealers.

I'm pretty much in the same situation and plan to investigate indy shops in my area. If there were any of great merit I'd most likely already be aware of them. However, the dealership is two miles from my home so is convenient. I've purchased three new bikes from them since 2005, hopefully that means something...

This forum has opened my eyes pursuant to multiple issues and research indicates my dealer is the most expensive around on interval service and other work, plus they offer zero discount on parts and accessories. I'm at the point where I refuse to pay more for the exact same part that can be purchased elsewhere for less. My CVO has two more interval services pre-paid at my dealer. After that I'll probably do the basic tasks myself if I can't find a shop I like. My ESP was purchased through my dealer so I'll see how that goes when it kicks in mid-February 2015...

scottman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »

I am wondering about these myself. Dealer is quoting 2373 for 5 extra years. The plan Kutter sells in a grand less.
 I have had good luck with my other bikes. This one (2014 Limited CVO) scares me a little with all the new tech.
 Still on the fence. Guess I have a while to decide. Really need to find out about the exhaust. Those cats got to go!
 Scott

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »

Whew, these ESPs have really gone up in price.  Bought mine in Dec 2011 for my 2012 cuse7 from a moco dealer who would and could discount.  Paid $1,450 for the 5-year ESP (that is total of 7 years, 2 moco, 5 ESP) with wheel and tire.  Guess the repair costs are getting to them.   :nixweiss:

IBA member # 45520

firesam23

• Full CVO Member
  • It's only money Can't take it with you
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG HC Mercury
    • CVO2: 2011 SG Harley Custom numbered paint set candy red with skulls
    • CVO3: 2003 1200 Sportster Black/Silver
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 10:17:33 PM »

I just traded in a 2011 Street Glide that has the 2+5 ESP.  I didn't transfer the remaining I got a refund of $857 and bought the ESP on my new SG CVO.
Price $1554 for the 2+4 @ Charlie's HD Huntington WV
It was women, it was sinnin’, it was alcohol
It was everything the bible says will make a man fall

panz

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED ...GOLDEN GIRL
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO ULTRA Traded
    • CVO3: 2009 Ultra Classic Traded
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 07:05:38 PM »

I'm not really a fan of extended warranties, but this one has me intrigued. I called my local dealer today and he said no problem, he would just set up an account with them (cornerstone) and do the work. He gave me  a quick response to this question with no hesitation at all. I then called two other dealerships and they responded almost in the same manner. For $335.00 a year ( 5 additional years with tire and wheel), it seems like a no brainer for our type of bike and it's so called problems, plus it's transferable when or if you sell it. JMO.   P.S. And I was in the automobile retail business for 35 plus years and believe this is a good value for your bucks.
"LIFE IS SHORT...ENJOY IT!"

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »

I do believe the best time to purchase the esp is when you buy the bike, not almost two years later like I did.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 08:26:25 PM »

I just traded in a 2011 Street Glide that has the 2+5 ESP.  I didn't transfer the remaining I got a refund of $857 and bought the ESP on my new SG CVO.
Price $1554 for the 2+4 @ Charlie's HD Huntington WV
Is that including tire and wheel? My dealer offered me 10% off today the +4 package. Normally $1984 minus the 10% comes to $1785.60.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 08:28:37 PM »

I do believe the best time to purchase the esp is when you buy the bike, not almost two years later like I did.
Correct. I looked at the sheet today and if you get it within the first 30 days or 2000 miles, you get the lower price.

Something I found out interesting today. For those of use in the Snowbelt states, MoCo extends the factory warranty to start April 1st. So in essence, My factory warranty will be good through 3.31.17.

firesam23

• Full CVO Member
  • It's only money Can't take it with you
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG HC Mercury
    • CVO2: 2011 SG Harley Custom numbered paint set candy red with skulls
    • CVO3: 2003 1200 Sportster Black/Silver
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 09:25:33 PM »

No it did not include the tire and wheel coverage.  They wanted 595 for that.  :nixweiss:
It was women, it was sinnin’, it was alcohol
It was everything the bible says will make a man fall

panz

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »

well, i bit the bullet...i bought the 7 year plan with tire and wheel from my hometown dealer. i used the pricing from cornerstone to negotiate my pricing with them. Knowing December is a slow month for sales etc up here in northern ohio, it was time to approach the F & I person...all said and done $1753.00 plus sales tax for 7 years with tire and wheel. My factory warranty runs out in march of 2015 for my 2013 cvo ultra.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 05:40:45 PM »

well, i bit the bullet...i bought the 7 year plan with tire and wheel from my hometown dealer. i used the pricing from cornerstone to negotiate my pricing with them. Knowing December is a slow month for sales etc up here in northern ohio, it was time to approach the F & I person...all said and done $1753.00 plus sales tax for 7 years with tire and wheel. My factory warranty runs out in march of 2015 for my 2013 cvo ultra.

That's a great deal. Out of curiosity, did the dealer try to tear down the cornerstone service contract? I do think the Harley product is better. Again, IMHO.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 05:45:54 PM »

That's a great deal. Out of curiosity, did the dealer try to tear down the cornerstone service contract? I do think the Harley product is better. Again, IMHO.
I did a little more research on that Cornerstone one. It doesn't pay crap compared to the original ESP if you get stuck somewhere overnight. Any out of pocket saved on the purchase would be zeroed out after the first night or two.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 05:47:34 PM »

Nice. I just paid that for the 6 year with T&W about an hour ago. F&I guy told me when I bought the bike he would only go 10% off within the first 30 days. 10% is better than 0% in this case.

panz

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »

Scott...never tried to cut down cornerstone, paid $80 more for hd warranty, actually CNA, then cornerstone price from kutterhd. Felt it was worth the difference.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 12:32:32 AM »

Scott...never tried to cut down cornerstone, paid $80 more for hd warranty, actually CNA, then cornerstone price from kutterhd. Felt it was worth the difference.

Great job, I agree.

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 05:24:07 AM »

Great job, I agree.

Good thread. this has been very helpful for me as I too have been looking into the whole ESP deal and comparing Kutter with the dealer/s.  I also cashed in my remaining ESP from the 11' and now I'm thinking I'll do something before my 90 days are up.

Cheers Tom

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »

Look at the other threads here on ESP, reports about denying claims if your exhaust  been changed. Read the contract, CNA can deny any claim for any part if the exhaust has been altered.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

panz

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »

Ridgerunr...you have to ask yourself this, why do dealers put stage 1, 2 etc on bikes knowing that the owner may have an extended service contract on it, I know money, but why would they jeapordise another profit center of their dealership? It's like anything else that "may" be under warranty....it's the dealers presentation of the problem to either moco or CNA. I'm sure they don't want to lose the dollars they are reimbursed from either moco or CNA. JMO.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »

Ridgerunr...you have to ask yourself this, why do dealers put stage 1, 2 etc on bikes knowing that the owner may have an extended service contract on it, I know money, but why would they jeapordise another profit center of their dealership? It's like anything else that "may" be under warranty....it's the dealers presentation of the problem to either moco or CNA. I'm sure they don't want to lose the dollars they are reimbursed from either moco or CNA. JMO.

I think the logic is slightly flawed, as I explained in this thread previously.  In many cases these days it has absolutely nothing to do with how the "dealer presents the problem to either the MoCo or CNA".  Those entities are requiring prior approval on many repairs, and sending their own reps to inspect and investigate before providing that approval.  This isn't in response to anything any particular dealership said when presenting the problem to Harley or CNA, but rather is driven by economic factors and statistics.  As for why a dealership would jeopardize a profit center like the ESP sales by installing modifications, that's easy to answer.  It's a crapshoot that CNA will void a contract, and if they do the only money the dealer may lose would be their commission on the sale of that one contract if the customer demands a refund.  The percentage of such refunds is likely to be pretty small relative to the large number of contracts sold.  And the profit the dealer made selling and installing all those modifications probably makes the profit from the one contract seem pretty small.

Jerry

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »

Extended service policies are one of the biggest profit centers for dealers. This is not to say they are bad. Chances are the policy buyer will not have covered repairs that exceed the cost of the policy. You are simply buying peace of mind.

I am also struggling with the decision to buy or not to buy. If I buy I would pay cash. I question whether my 14 Limited will need more than $1800 in repairs over the next 5 years. This is the finest, smoothest, coolest running Harley I have owned. I doubt I exceed 50,000 miles. Simple stage one performance upgrade.

If a component does fails, I would try to upgrade that component.

I am leaning towards not buying a warranty. I bought one for my last bike, a 07 SE ultra and never used it. IMHO, my 14 Limited is much better built than that 07 was.

Sorry for the long post, if you see a major flaw in my thinking, please post.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »

Hey Scott,
I don't know....you spend between $30 and $40K for a CVO harley what the hell is another two? I don't think you/we are the kind that pinches pennies or even dollars for that matter. If we were we would not buy CVO's or maybe not any type of harley...we would all be riding metric. I purchased the esp and glad I did. I have had two claims, one being a new tire and both claims have been covered. So I am on my way to the two thousand it cost me. Plus the piece of mind it provides. Choose wisely...

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 03:47:42 PM »

I don't know....you spend between $30 and $40K for a CVO harley what the hell is another two?

Like many here, I tried to evaluate the plus/minuses in buying the ESP as my factory warranty was scheduled to expire. In the end result, I looked at this much like you 2 Rose. I paid about 5% of the sticker price on my scoot for the 60-month ESP with the tire/wheel option. Even less by percentage if you figure in freight, doc fees, tax/title, etc. I also paid cash after the fact to not roll the cost into the note on the bike. I was on the west coast and the bike in the east for most of the warranty period so I didn't get many miles/wear & tear on it I would have otherwise. I still don't know if it was a wise decision, but the 'peace of mind' factor is legitimate - time will tell...

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2014, 09:04:34 PM »

If your one that doesnt hold on to a bike very long having an ESP I believe will enhance your sale to a private seller down the road.

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 10:47:12 AM »

I’m not bashful about this issue… I paid $1,794 for a five year program last month with wheel and tire protection through my dealership in Maine. My factory warranty expires in February but they expected a price increase when the 2015’s hit the floor so I acted sooner. The ESP takes over when the factory warranty expires. I did a good deal of research, firstly to decide if this was worth pursuing or not – still undecided on this by the way, and several leads that were supposedly better deals at less cost didn’t pan out. I solicited five quotes; my dealer at the cost noted was the least expensive of three quotes that I could substantiate.

IMO the ESP is a good insurance policy when the factory warranty expires. Personally, I went with the longest one that I could get - and it has already paid off for me - so I believe they are worthwhile.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

stealth

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »

So, all you with experience, if you hunt for a better price than your local dealer and buy, have you had any issues with your local guy being pissed you did not buy it from him?

Thanks, in the middle of this decision for my '15 FLTRUSE.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »

So, all you with experience, if you hunt for a better price than your local dealer and buy, have you had any issues with your local guy being pissed you did not buy it from him?

Thanks, in the middle of this decision for my '15 FLTRUSE.

Chit, I bought my bike from other than my regular dealer .. if they can't play, you don't pay. They still service my bike and smile when I show up. Maybe they'll do better next time around.

DH
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 21 queries.