Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Indian's New Fixed Fairing & Engine  (Read 2010 times)

mark

Indian's New Fixed Fairing & Engine
« on: October 22, 2019, 03:10:33 PM »

Indian will release the fixed fairing Challenger with their new 108 ci power plant on Oct 29.  Article about the engine.  Nice numbers from the factory:

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/indian/indian-powerplus-is-here.html

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Indian's New Fixed Fairing & Engine
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 03:18:26 PM »

If the factory numbers are legit, should be a strong bike.  Rear wheel dyno will tell the tale.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 03:24:32 PM »

From the Indian Motorcycle website.  Looks like we all get to see the "leaked" video from the August dealer meeting.

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/powerplus/

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 04:05:49 PM »

Not surprised, All first year models seem to always have some kind of recalls... I actually don’t know anything about the Challenger... Road Glide for life...

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 04:35:29 PM »

Yes on first year stuff.  Around here some seem to believe that only applies to HD, not other makes.

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 06:42:07 PM »

Difference is, Indian admit a problem and fixes it on their dime.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 11:21:33 PM »

Nope.  From the link:

"Owners with an odometer reading of less than 50 miles should not operate their motorcycle until it is repaired.

Motorcycles with greater than 50 miles will not require a repair, and can either be inspected by a dealer, or the owner can self-report the odometer reading directly to Indian."

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 03:56:24 AM »

In other words, Indian is telling owners that if you made it past 50 miles your bearings will be fine?

Don't they all do that?
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 06:11:20 AM »

Recalling ALL 616 bikes sold so far. :P

I know a guy that bought one. Went from a 1st gen shark to it. Loves it so far. He did have to take it in for a recall but never did say what it was for.

I really really wanted to like that new bike and possible get one for a 2nd bike. It's uglier than I thought it would be especially from the seat looking forward. But then again, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.  :drink:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 07:52:37 AM »

That will be out just about the time I'm ready to buy...Perfect
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 07:58:54 AM »

In other words, Indian is telling owners that if you made it past 50 miles your bearings will be fine?

Don't they all do that?

Yes.  It does remind me of another large big cruiser MC company that waves a magic wand over it's issues & declares them non existent.

The Indian bike number is small but when the % of Indians sold is compared overall HD sales, it is very similar behavior.  Mindset must be: customers are guinea pigs.

J.D.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 09:17:54 AM »

People are making a lot of assumptions.  I'd like to hear all the facts, but the fact that they issued a recall quickly over a potential issue says a lot.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 09:55:10 AM »

Don't they all do that?

I didn't read it that way at all.  It seems a relatively obvious preparation and assembly error rather than a bad-part problem.  The description said some parts didn't get lubed.  If a loaded bearing has no lube it will fail.  The thinking here seems to be it's a part that will fail (or at least make itself known) right away.  If it got lubed it's ok; and will, therefore, last more than the 50 miles in question.

If system and process are considered none of this really screams "foul" to me. 

mark

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 10:18:48 AM »

Indian identified a few bikes that were assembled without assembly lube on a bearing.  Apparently this would cause the bearing to fail in the first 50 miles.  If you’ve gone past that mileage, you’re good to go.  If under 50 miles, IM has issued a recall on those low mileage bikes.  I can’t grasp anyone buying a new bike and the odometer being under 50 miles.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.