Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: S&S reed valve  (Read 6470 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
S&S reed valve
« on: October 24, 2008, 04:13:53 PM »

I did a search on this and only found one item on it, maybe I need more practice on my searchs

here's my quesiton

I'm gonna do a build on my 1340 EVO ..... it's been suggested to me that I put in this reed valve ..... is it worth the cost ?
does it really help ?

I have very little blow by on my breather
I never seem to have a sumpping problem, so I assume that the chk valve in the oil pump is ok.

I have an 2000 FXR4, these bikes have a high position oil tank.  Doesn't seem to be oil sumpping into the crankcase cause I have no problem even if the bike sits for several weeks in the winter.

I've also been informed the HD has come out with a metal valve to replace the stock one, can anyone verify that ?  It is my understanding that it works like the stock plastic one, and is timing dependent....... the reed valve is not timing dependent

Thanks in advance for any input yall can provide about the reed valve !!

Mikey
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

RedFXR2

Re: S&S reed valve
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 07:37:21 PM »

I don't have one these and can only repeat what I've been told by Techs, both here ini person and through other sources on the web so here goes.

First, if you have little or no blowby, then there's really no reason to use this thing, since that's exactly what it's intended to fix.  When I did my motor work, I discussed this with the tech doing the work and he talked me out of it.  I had already installed "The Cure Vent Plus" which is a ball check valve and a couple of drilled-out holes in the center rocker box section to allow more rapid draining of oil back out of the rocker boxes and to allow air to enter through the breather holes, but not allow oil to exit.  Now that's a product I could recommend.  This seems to have cured my oil-in-the-air cleaner problem completely.  I would also recommend an old Evo trick of stopping just short of the "full" mark on the dipstick when yo maintain the oil level.

Back to the reed valve, specifially the criticism I've heard is that the reed itself is too stiff for Evo oil pressure to open and can actually cause blowby to worsen.  Newer Evo motors came with plastic gears on the valves in stock form.  There are steel versions on the aftermarket that last much longer.  On the other hand the plastic ones last a looooong time if the oil is kept fresh.

So, IMO, this is one of those answers to a question that nobody asked.  Maybe others will have a validation of this device and swear by it, but the folks I talked to didn't see any benefit.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 10:30:37 AM »

I have used the reed valve in engines that were brought in with excessive blowby and it does solve the problem. I agree that if you do not have an issue then I would not build a motor with one installed. I would strongly recommend changing the breather to a steel unit if you have a plastic unit in there now.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 07:42:58 PM »

Thanks for your replies !!!!!!!!!!!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »

I did a search on this and only found one item on it, maybe I need more practice on my searchs

here's my quesiton

I'm gonna do a build on my 1340 EVO ..... it's been suggested to me that I put in this reed valve ..... is it worth the cost ?
does it really help ?

I have very little blow by on my breather
I never seem to have a sumpping problem, so I assume that the chk valve in the oil pump is ok.

I have an 2000 FXR4, these bikes have a high position oil tank.  Doesn't seem to be oil sumpping into the crankcase cause I have no problem even if the bike sits for several weeks in the winter.

I've also been informed the HD has come out with a metal valve to replace the stock one, can anyone verify that ?  It is my understanding that it works like the stock plastic one, and is timing dependent....... the reed valve is not timing dependent

Thanks in advance for any input yall can provide about the reed valve !!

Mikey

We buy a ton of S&S products.
Most all are top-notch.
Save your money on this one.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.