Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roller Chain Cams  (Read 1921 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Roller Chain Cams
« on: February 19, 2006, 04:39:37 PM »

I know there are some pretty good gear heads who read this site.  I'm wondering what opinion you might have regarding the article in the April '06 American Iron Magazine regarding the upgrades to the Dyna models.  The article starts on page 46.  Donny Peterson quotes John Andrews of Andrews products starting toward the end of page 52.  The article states that Harley is attempting to address the timing chain problems by replacing the silent chain to a roller chain, redesigned cam support plate, new hydraulic cam chain tensioners, and increased load capacity cam bearings for the new Dynas.  Mr Andrews seem to have new products out to convert the silent chain system to the roller chain system on '99 and up twin cam bikes.  He says, "This conversion is alot less expensive than a gear drive- runs quieter, too.  The same roller chains are used on GM Northstar engines and all Polaris Freedom motors.  I have never heard of a cam-drive chain failure on these engines".  
  I was going to put gear drive cams in my SE Ultra, but now I'm wondering if the new roller chain set up is the way to go.  (I installed gear drive cams on my '01 Heritage and really like them).  I wonder if the timing is any better with the roller chain setup than the silent chain one, and what the durability might be.  Any feedback on this one?  : :o [smiley=drink.gif]
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Roller Chain Cams
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 07:04:01 PM »

Steve G,

While they feel this might be a great answer, they havent been around long enough to say yeah or nay in a twin cam yet.  Nor has anyone tried to figure out what the overall costs of running them are in TQ / HP.   People have idea's, but nothing really concrete.  My suggestion would be to watch as this matures into a proven technology and go with gear drives till your satisfied.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 11:58:04 PM »

Steve G,

While they feel this might be a great answer, they havent been around long enough to say yeah or nay in a twin cam yet.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 12:03:54 AM by otis »
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 08:02:19 AM »

Agree with OTIS on Andrews being quite certain of the reliability prior to release of the product.  They've got a great reputation to protect.  My only thought comes from old style thinking when it comes to reducing weight and friction in a motor.  For that reason, I like gear drive cams with far less drag on HP than the other designs.  

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 08:10:10 AM »

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 01:06:20 AM »

According to a response to a tech-question, they are developing cams only.  They will market cams, and a list of HD parts that will upgrade pre-'06 TC's 88/95/106's to the '06 Dyna-style roller chain and supporting components.  These parts will be available sometime in March.

Billh
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 01:08:32 AM »

Sorry, I typed the "6" for a "3".  It should have been 88/95/103.  My Bad!!
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 02:27:29 PM »

San Diego H-D just retrofitted my 03 Golden Serk "Elvis" with the unit mentioned above. Obviously since the old one had lunched, everything is soooo quiet at the moment. I will keep you posted as I get some serious mileage on it.  ;)

Big B

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 02:47:03 PM »

San Diego H-D just retrofitted my 03 Golden Serk "Elvis" with the unit mentioned above. Obviously since the old one had lunched, everything is soooo quiet at the moment. I will keep you posted as I get some serious mileage on it.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 10:43:50 PM »

Was doing a little reading on the subject of upgrading to the '06 Dyna cam chains, and found that you have to change the cams as well as the support plate, oil pump, tensioners, etc.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 11:47:46 PM »

One thing that I really don't like about the new system is that there are no roller or ball bearings in the cam support plate.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 11:13:42 AM »

Hey Reo,

Thanks for catching it was tired last night it was Roller chain, I fixed the post as well.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 24 queries.