Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio  (Read 84495 times)

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
Re: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 12:37:48 PM »

2. Pry out on this tab.........
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
    • AB

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 12:39:16 PM »

..& the module will slide right out (it's mounted into a channel in the radio top).

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
    • AB

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »

3. Then carry on as per 'dude.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 03:08:14 PM by Bungy »

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007, 10:30:12 AM »

Does this mod allow the GPS sound to interupt the radio or is it to allow you to plug the aux in the back instead of the front only?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 10:32:34 AM by TANK »
TANK

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2007, 10:45:37 AM »

Does this mod allow the GPS sound to interupt the radio or is it to allow you to plug the aux in the back instead of the front only?

This mod does not affect the way the HD GPS system works at all. It is done to allow aux input into the rear of the radio.

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2007, 10:46:56 AM »

Thanks!
TANK

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »

An alternative to this method (which I'm guessing will void your warranty) is to use a simple RF modulator (http://www.teptronics.com/fmmod.html) using an antenna Y cable (http://www.audio-discounters.com/40-uv43.html). Then just patch your audio device into the modulator. This allows you to listen to your audio device on an unused radio channel (like 89.9). Everything else on your HK radio will work the same.

I did this on my 07 a year and a half ago. This is how I can listen to my Zumo. It's worked flawlessly and it's fast to install and does not alter the bike equipment or wiring. For power to the modulator, I just used flat spade plugs and plugged them into the unused power connector that's in the headlight bundle.

Keith

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »

An alternative to this method (which I'm guessing will void your warranty) is to use a simple RF modulator (http://www.teptronics.com/fmmod.html) using an antenna Y cable (http://www.audio-discounters.com/40-uv43.html). Then just patch your audio device into the modulator. This allows you to listen to your audio device on an unused radio channel (like 89.9). Everything else on your HK radio will work the same.

I did this on my 07 a year and a half ago. This is how I can listen to my Zumo. It's worked flawlessly and it's fast to install and does not alter the bike equipment or wiring. For power to the modulator, I just used flat spade plugs and plugged them into the unused power connector that's in the headlight bundle.

Keith

That might be true as far as it goes, but.. you would have to be tuned to that station in order for you to hear the directions or whatever from the zumo. I'm after some way to hear the directions from the zumo while I'm listening to the CD player/XM/AM/FM on the bikes radio. I've already got AM/FM, CD player, XM, & weather working on my bike's radio so I'm trying to get the zumo to "seamlessly" interface with it and not move all of my features (that already work) to another device.

Thanks for the thoughts though. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:27:21 PM by 103tHunDer »
TANK

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
    • AB

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 03:11:10 PM »

TANK;

You will still have to have the radio set to the "aux" setting to hear the GPS. You will not be able to hear it with the radio in any other position (CD/XM/FM etc).

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »

TANK;

You will still have to have the radio set to the "aux" setting to hear the GPS. You will not be able to hear it with the radio in any other position (CD/XM/FM etc).

Maybe so & maybe no.. I keep thinking I should be able to use the bluetooth to interface the two of them somehow.. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree but both devices handle "bluetooth".. you sure would think they could talk that way while still in another radio mode.. I'm just too cheap to but the HK bluetooth module to try it.. :-\
TANK

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »

Both methods (using AUX or using RF) result in the same thing. Neither will do exactly what you want though. At least with the ZUMO, you can listen to MP3's (from the zumo) and still get the voice prompts, use the CB and intercom. My understanding is Harley's BT module is far from compliant and will only work with certain cell phones. Some time ago, I had started on a design to plug into the sidecar intercom connector to connect other devices to the system. I stopped after I didn't find enough need for it.

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2008, 04:01:06 PM »

I was hoping the BT wouldn't have these limitations.. :(
TANK

pirateeye

Re: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radi
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 09:54:05 PM »

Now is the tricky part.....There is a solder trace on the PC board that needs to be cut in in order to have the radio stop at the aux position with nothing plugged into the front panel. Here is a close up of the trace that has been cut. To cut the trace use a x-acto knife with a new sharp blade. gently scratch across the trace to remove it.

I'm in the process of doing this mod on my 06 ultra for my Zumo.  I believe I have cut the circuit board trace correctly and have attached a photo of my work but when I reinstalled, the aux audio mode did not appear unless i plugged into the front of the radio....so I've done something wrong.  I've cut completely through the board trace, even exposing the metal sheet of the board.  Is additional cutting required to the trace running parallel to the one I cut....which is closest to the front of the radio.  You do say to cut the solder trace...im not really sure what you mean by this.  It doesn't appear as if I have as much solder in that area you show above.  My pics are horrible but hopefully you can identify what needs to be done.  I'm an engine builder....if it doesn't have oil running through it...im lost.  Please help!

Thank you very much.

Kevin

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radi
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2008, 12:47:31 AM »

I'm in the process of doing this mod on my 06 ultra for my Zumo.  I believe I have cut the circuit board trace correctly and have attached a photo of my work but when I reinstalled, the aux audio mode did not appear unless i plugged into the front of the radio....so I've done something wrong.  I've cut completely through the board trace, even exposing the metal sheet of the board.  Is additional cutting required to the trace running parallel to the one I cut....which is closest to the front of the radio.  You do say to cut the solder trace...im not really sure what you mean by this.  It doesn't appear as if I have as much solder in that area you show above.  My pics are horrible but hopefully you can identify what needs to be done.  I'm an engine builder....if it doesn't have oil running through it...im lost.  Please help!

Thank you very much.

Kevin

Kevin;

Its really hard to tell from your pic if you've got the trace cut. I think there are some shadows as well. The trace is solder over copper so when you scratch through it you should see the fiber board after you get throught the copper. These boards may be multi layer so you do not want to go too deep into it.

Can you provide a closer pic to review?

pirateeye

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2008, 12:51:49 AM »

even with macro on, xtra lights, etc...i can not get a better pic.  i'll describe it better though.....  i dont think ive cut thru solder.  there are two parallel strips that come out of the back of the socket and turn left.  i used a knife and cut thru the one closest to the front of the radio approx halfway between the socket and the first small black chip (i guess).  i cut thru the green, the stripe, and partly into what appears to be a piece of sheet metal.  this may help...am i supposed to be cutting something other than that stripe im referring to?

i'll keep trying with pics.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:30:16 AM by pirateeye »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.