Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: M8 sumpping problems stage 4 kit  (Read 17195 times)

zkriegel

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA
Re: M8 sumpping problems stage 4 kit
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »

I picked mine back up from the dealer this weekend.  They put another oil pump in it with a different build date.  I am starting to become concerned with what kind of damage is being done when the sumping occurs.  It didn't feel like it was make the same power as before when riding it home.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »

I picked mine back up from the dealer this weekend.  They put another oil pump in it with a different build date.  I am starting to become concerned with what kind of damage is being done when the sumping occurs.  It didn't feel like it was make the same power as before when riding it home.

If the dealer is just throwing a new pump in without thoroughly checking for engine damage, that's not how it's supposed to be done.  See if you can find out what they did (and didn't) actually do.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »

Has anyone had or heard of this problem on the 2018 117" CVO"S?

I think its safe to assume there are 2018s with the same sumping problem since the Oct update to SB1450 was modified to covering the 2018 bikes.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »

The latest bulletin indicates that bike built up to 10/10/2018 can experience sumping, this includes softtails. 

I hope this is not like the 110 lifter issue that was never fixed
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 11:39:56 PM »

Finally heard back from HD and they are shipping new motor to dealer with same ID numbers so no DMV work needed. As I said before dealer letting me put in stage 4 for difference in parts. I tried to get HD to cover stage 4 on original warranty with ESP but they have said no. Dealer has agreed to cover labor for the 1 yr warranty that stage 4 parts are covered for but of course I am worried about "after that". Today dealer did go the district mgr to see if he could get him to cover but I just don't think they will do it.
Of course the smart thing for me to do is just have them do the stage 3 and not worry about it but of course when it comes to me and motorcycles I never ever do the smart thing...
I am relieved that HD approved a new motor and I will not have to fight with them
Alan

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »

Glad your getting the new Motor Alan.  Hope the new oil pump solves the issue and you will not have to worry.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »

I tried to get HD to cover stage 4 on original warranty with ESP but they have said no. Dealer has agreed to cover labor for the 1 yr warranty that stage 4 parts are covered for but of course I am worried about "after that". Today dealer did go the district mgr to see if he could get him to cover but I just don't think they will do it.
Of course the smart thing for me to do is just have them do the stage 3 and not worry about it but of course when it comes to me and motorcycles I never ever do the smart thing...
I am relieved that HD approved a new motor and I will not have to fight with them
red: Don't have a lot of confidence in their parts, do they?  Yeah, you're past the 60 days when they cover the mods on warranty + ESP, but since they're doing this replacement under warranty b/c of a defect in parts that are covered under both warranty + ESP, it isn't such a stretch to continue coverage into ESP.  Then again it is HD.   :oops:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:44:50 PM by Para Bellum »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Michael Saunders

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »

I have a 2017 SG CVO with the stage 4 kit. I have 25500 miles on it with no oil pump issues. Paired with BASSONI’s 2 into 1 pipe you have a real white knuckle ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harleytacticalnut

• Harleytacticalnut
  • Full CVO Member
  • Don’t Tread On Me
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE,
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE, 2017 FLHXSE, 2018 FLTRXSE
    • CVO3: 2019 FLTRXSE, 2020 FLHTKSE, 2021 FLTRXSE
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 08:32:36 PM »

Finally heard back from HD and they are shipping new motor to dealer with same ID numbers so no DMV work needed. As I said before dealer letting me put in stage 4 for difference in parts. I tried to get HD to cover stage 4 on original warranty with ESP but they have said no. Dealer has agreed to cover labor for the 1 yr warranty that stage 4 parts are covered for but of course I am worried about "after that". Today dealer did go the district mgr to see if he could get him to cover but I just don't think they will do it.

Glad to hear they are doing the right thing. If they won’t cover the stage 4 then that’s a sign that you shouldn’t either. Just saying from lessons learned the hard way. And lots of $$$$ lost
Defend the 2nd Amendment with your life

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 12:02:53 AM »

New motor is in with stage 4 installed and looks like will be done tomorrow. Now begins the torture of the break in begins. I have a appointment set up with the tuner in a couple of weeks to dial it all in with the TTS so at least there is a definite end to the pain..
Boy do I hope this one doesn't sump!!
Alan

09nessrg

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 Skunk CVO
    • CVO3: 2009 RG Custom
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »

How can someone tell the manufacture date of the engine? Is there a code on the engine or serial # ?

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2018, 02:41:01 PM »

I have a buddy that has a 2017 cvo street glide with satge 4 kit ,On his 6th motor with only 8500 miles on the bike.Thank god Harley covered everything ,had to give him a new stage 4 kit everytime.,Has 700 miles on new motor,hopefully will hold up this time.Reason I'm staying with my 110 for now.Will let you guys go through the head aches of the new motor.lol

J.D.

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »

6th engine in 8500 miles???

WTF.

JaronCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2018, 01:38:54 AM »

2017 CVO Street Glide Stage 4. On March 27th, I was riding from Seattle to LA. I didn't make it to LA on my bike, to say the least. It was cold and rainy when we left. I got about 700 mile south to Redding CA. My buddies and I pulled up to an In-N-Out for a bite. The weather was about 80 degrees. After eating, I sat on my bike idling while my buddies got ready. We took off and hit I-5 south. As we do, we hit the highway full throttle, but this time, my bike was in limp mode. I had no power. I dropped to 5th, 4th, 3rd trying to hit 70mph. I read all the forums so I assumed sumping. I got about 20 miles south of Redding before I decided to call it and pulled over. The bike was hot, about 287 degrees. It had a weird smell, bit no oil leaks. I had the bike towed close to a dealership in Chico, CA. The dealership was closed, so I stayed at a motel 6. The next day, I rode the bike in limp mode to the dealership. I explained to the dealership that I believed I was having sumping issues and caught it before the rear cylinder blew. I told them to order an oil pump and I would deal with warranty issues later. I rented a 2016 Ulta Limitedfor 4 days with an awesome military discount of $100 a day and rode to 430 miles to LA. While in LA, dealership called and told me they couldn't find any issues, but that the EITMS kicked on while riding and wouldn't turn off. They told me that they disabled the EITMS and the bike was running perfect. I argued and told them to order me an oil pump because I didn't want to deal with being stranded (I read all the oil sumping issues, so I know what's going on).  I still had another 700 miles from Chico to Seattle. I got back to Chico, returned the rental bike that I had paid for 4 days but only used it for 3 days. The dealership decided not to refund me the extra day to call it even for the work they did on the bike (I have the power vision tuner on my bike). So $100 bucks for 4 hours of diagnostics. Anyway, rode the bike all 700 miles with the EITMS off, and she ran strong.

Lesson Learned:
1. Listen to the professionals!
2. If the bike goes into limp mode, pull over when it's safe and stop riding.
3. Check the status of the EITMS
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:49:43 AM by JaronCVO »
2017 CVO Street Glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2018, 08:42:49 AM »

Lesson Learned:
1. Listen to the professionals!
2. If the bike goes into limp mode, pull over when it's safe and stop riding.
3. Check the status of the EITMS

1. Listen to the "professionals" but don't automatically assume they actually know anything or are telling you the truth, especially if they are Harley dealership people.  The word professional only means they get paid for what they do, not that they are right or infallible.

2. If the bike goes into limp mode, pull over safely and check the diagnostic codes.  There is a big difference between limp mode and what happens when the engine is sumping.

3. EITMS does not normally affect anything but idle while the bike is sitting still.  If it really did kick in and cut off the rear cylinder while riding, there is something seriously wrong.  Don't just turn it off and keep on keeping on, get it fixed by a competent shop.  The one you left the bike at should have dug deeper and found out what was really wrong, not just turn off EITMS and declare it OK.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 25 queries.