Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG - Progress and Pics  (Read 63084 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG-Some Progress Pics
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »

I'm weighing whether to swap it for Super G carb or just getting an S&S backplate for it for the S&S Teardrop cover. The motor came with the carb, and they have no use for it. So I'd have to buy a complete S&S carb setup to change it. How are those Mikunis? I think it's an HSR 45. Trying to decide on that one.

I also thought about that Big Air Carb from PSI Power. Any reports from anyone that's used that carb yet?

http://www.psipowerinc.com/bigAirCarbs.htm

We're not up to that yet, but help away Scott! ::) ;D

Hoist! 8)

I put a Mikuni HSR 45 on this bike back in the late 90's - they had just come out.  I absolutely loved it.  The bike ran strong - started easily - (didn't need to use the choke to start).  I really liked the carb.  I have had fuel injection on every bike since - but if I was doing another build, I'd need a pretty good reason to use something but a Mikuni...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2008, 12:03:34 PM »

I put a Mikuni HSR 45 on this bike back in the late 90's - they had just come out.  I absolutely loved it.  The bike ran strong - started easily - (didn't need to use the choke to start).  I really liked the carb.  I have had fuel injection on every bike since - but if I was doing another build, I'd need a pretty good reason to use something but a Mikuni...

Thanks Scott. That'll be my cheapest option too. All I'll need is the S&S backplate and hardware. I already have the K&N filter and Teardrop cover for it. I think I'll start off with it that way. I can always change it later if I wanted to. ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »

I also thought about that Big Air Carb from PSI Power. Any reports from anyone that's used that carb yet?

Never used one nor even seen one in person.  Since first hearing of them have been fascinated by the external adjustability of everything though.  Supposedly never change a jet or carry a spare carb to go over the mountains again.  If I were still riding a carb'd bike for travel I'd have tried one of these out in a heartbeat.  If all that adjustability works as advertised they're promised performance gains are just icing on the cake.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »

Thanks Scott. That'll be my cheapest option too. All I'll need is the S&S backplate and hardware. I already have the K&N filter and Teardrop cover for it. I think I'll start off with it that way. I can always change it later if I wanted to. ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

I've had experience like Scott has with the Mikini 45 Howie.  It was a very well behaved carb that just ran good on the bike I had one on.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG - Progress and Pics
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »

I've had experience like Scott has with the Mikini 45 Howie.  It was a very well behaved carb that just ran good on the bike I had one on.

I think I'll start off with the Mikuni w/S&S Teardrop. If I change it later, I'll probably try that Big Air Unit. But that thing is also a Big Buck Unit! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:19:50 PM by Hoist! »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2008, 03:56:45 PM »

Really lucked out today, I hope. I scored a seat in good condition from an '85 FXEF on EBay for $22.50! :2vrolijk_21:

It should fit, even though the FXWG has a Bobtail Fender on it. We shall see. But for 22 bucks, I couldn't pass up trying it. It's almost impossible to find seats for an '85 4-speed frame anymore. Only a 1-1/2 year run on that frame! ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:19:21 PM by Hoist! »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »

Well, I hope I lucked out here as I said previously. Look at this great seat I picked up for a 4-speed Evo bike. It's from an FXEF, not an FXWG, but hopefully it'll fit OK The rear mount might be different because I have a Bobtail Fender. But it should fit the shape of the frame OK. $22.50 on EBay! So I should (hopefully) be able to work with it regardless. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »

A turbo works much better :2vrolijk_21:
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2008, 02:17:27 PM »

A turbo works much better :2vrolijk_21:

Got a spare ya wanna send over Bob! I hear they don't work well in the Algerian desert! ::) ??? ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »

HeHe!!! TODAY'S UPDATE:

Well hopefully this project finally is getting back underway, and I might be even getting her back in the next month or two! They brought the bike up from the basement of the shop and started continuing work again. Mostly all the parts are now there, so it's a matter of spending the time here and there to put her back together. These are friends, and I don't bother asking them to put me first. So it helps them out to keep doing daily business, instead of having to devote dedicated manpower to my projects. I'm OK with that. It's not like I can't still ride! ;)

So the new PM Contour Forward Controls are on. Need a new shifter linkage for it. The front end's about to come off to be replaced with the new chrome AK-40 front end (PM Contour Controls, W-1s 1-1/4"10" Apes w/ 3"H 1-1/4" W-1s Risers, Billet Mirrors, Thunderstar wheel w/ ME Lasertec tire, and Braided SS Cables and Lines). Saw the new rear Thunderstar wheel on the mounting machine, so it looks like the rear will get done soon too (19" Thunderstar wheel w/ ME Lasertec tire, Russell Floating Rotor, chrome Sprocket, PM 4-piston DB caliper, and bitubos).

I guess we'll have some final details to work out at the end, like rewiring some things, and what finishing touches it needs. But I intend to have this bike come out complete, and need nothing when I'm thru. You can do that when you start from scratch! And don't worry, you'll get your pics soon enough! ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2008, 08:24:46 PM »

HeHe!!! TODAY'S UPDATE:

Well hopefully this project finally is getting back underway, and I might be even getting her back in the next month or two! They brought the bike up from the basement of the shop and started continuing work again. Mostly all the parts are now there, so it's a matter of spending the time here and there to put her back together. These are friends, and I don't bother asking them to put me first. So it helps them out to keep doing daily business, instead of having to devote dedicated manpower to my projects. I'm OK with that. It's not like I can't still ride! ;)

So the new PM Contour Forward Controls are on. Need a new shifter linkage for it. The front end's about to come off to be replaced with the new chrome AK-40 front end (PM Contour Controls, W-1s 1-1/4"10" Apes w/ 3"H 1-1/4" W-1s Risers, Billet Mirrors, Thunderstar wheel w/ ME Lasertec tire, and Braided SS Cables and Lines). Saw the new rear Thunderstar wheel on the mounting machine, so it looks like the rear will get done soon too (19" Thunderstar wheel w/ ME Lasertec tire, Russell Floating Rotor, chrome Sprocket, PM 4-piston DB caliper, and bitubos).

I guess we'll have some final details to work out at the end, like rewiring some things, and what finishing touches it needs. But I intend to have this bike come out complete, and need nothing when I'm thru. You can do that when you start from scratch! And don't worry, you'll get your pics soon enough! ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Ahhh...As the book title goes from Jim Collins..."Good to Great"

Good Luck and I look forward to seeing the end result!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2008, 04:42:30 PM »

TODAY'S UPDATE:

Well, the FXWG project IS well underway again. I understand the new Traxxion front end is on now. I'll be heading over in the morning to get new handlebars fitted on Joy. I'm dropping the Pro Street off to have the forward controls I just removed from Joy, installed on the Pro Street. I'll try to get some current progress pics of the FXWG too. I think they're trying to finish it up within the next few weeks! I hope she rides as good as she looks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

REGGAB

« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2008, 11:17:03 PM »

TODAY'S UPDATE:

Well, the FXWG project IS well underway again. I understand the new Traxxion front end is on now. I'll be heading over in the morning to get new handlebars fitted on Joy. I'm dropping the Pro Street off to have the forward controls I just removed from Joy, installed on the Pro Street. I'll try to get some current progress pics of the FXWG too. I think they're trying to finish it up within the next few weeks! I hope she rides as good as she looks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Thanks for the update, Howie.  I know this machine is going to be wonderful.  Can't wait to see it.  Would fit right in down here outside a Waffle House while you're there scarfin' up a bowl of grits with a hamburger.   ;D ;D ;D

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2008, 01:33:36 AM »

I just saw your pictures for the first time. Wow!! Great looking bike. My first H/D was an 81 wide glide. Didn't quite look that hot

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2008, 08:30:41 AM »

I just saw your pictures for the first time. Wow!! Great looking bike. My first H/D was an 81 wide glide. Didn't quite look that hot

Thanks so much bribe! I always loved this bike. Now it'll be renewed CVO style, and should be better than anything HD builds these days! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.