Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22

Author Topic: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG - Progress and Pics  (Read 63069 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: The CVO'ing of an '85 FXWG - Progress and Pics
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »

And with all that; tires still don't last for crap :nixweiss: .
Yeah, but they sure do 'stick' better.   I have to remind myself of all of which you speak on a regular basis, as it's just too easy to get caught up in the advances and piss & moan over problems that aren't even relevant compared to what we use to have (to deal with).  The up-side was that even I could work on and usually fix the old simple scooters.  ;D har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2008, 12:27:49 PM »

Yeah, but they sure do 'stick' better.   I have to remind myself of all of which you speak on a regular basis, as it's just too easy to get caught up in the advances and piss & moan over problems that aren't even relevant compared to what we use to have (to deal with).  The up-side was that even I could work on and usually fix the old simple scooters.  ;D har!  :drink: spyder

The downside was that not only could we work on them. It was a requirement.  Can remember a couple of Brit bikes I really liked (they actually looked good enough that girls liked them).  I liked every leaking breaking thing about them and the tools they required you to carry.  And they were actually good bikes.

We didn't complain about breakdowns because they were simply part of the process.  And most things could be made to run or roll again right on the side of the road.  Even with Harley's penchant for cutting corners and having first runs at engineering not be quite up to speed we actually do complain about breakdowns now; because they're still an overall relatively rare thing.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2008, 12:41:52 PM »

Can't rotate anymore either...

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »

Tires that is...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #184 on: December 22, 2008, 12:46:11 PM »

Can't rotate anymore either...

HeHe!!! WTH ever rotated bike tires? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2008, 12:48:02 PM »

Is he saying back when that bike was built you could?? Was that a possibility back then?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2008, 12:50:19 PM »

Back in the day they did bucko...thats is why the oldster has a rear stand on it and the fender has a hinge that lets the fender flod up to help in removal.  After this weekends ride, I don't think I will ever wear out the skins on it... ;D.  Tires were the same size front and rear for quite a few years.. :drink:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2008, 12:53:16 PM »

Oh yeah...tires were very pricey...the factory tool kit and riders guide gives instructons and intervals...The wheel assemblies come right off without a fight, I guess because the roads back then were not so nice! The picture is in the "wilds" of Mahattan...

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »

Sorry wrong one, here are the "wilds"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »

Back in the day they did bucko...thats is why the oldster has a rear stand on it and the fender has a hinge that lets the fender flod up to help in removal.  After this weekends ride, I don't think I will ever wear out the skins on it... ;D.  Tires were the same size front and rear for quite a few years.. :drink:
That answers my question..... Thanks.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »

HeHe!!! WTH ever rotated bike tires? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

I rotate mine every time I go fore a ride, didn't know there was any other way!  :pumpkin:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2008, 01:08:36 PM »

They must rotate. hopefully around an axis..

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2008, 01:36:29 PM »

I recall from the 1960’s through the early ‘80’s, the Firestone and Goodyear Super Eagles as well as the later Speed Grip tires were the same for the front and rear in the 5.00 and 5.10x16 sizes.

As I remember it, the hinged rear fender was used through 1978 on the FLH; although with all of the goodies festooned on the back end of the later machines, most folks didn’t use the hinge, but simply raised the motorcycle and dropped the wheel out the bottom.

Rotating the tires was not unheard of, although not real common through the ‘60’s. The wheel assemblies were the same front and rear. Removing the wheel lugs allows the brake drum to be separated from the wheel, making the swap relatively easy. In your wildest hallucination, you couldn’t imagine a motorcycle handling worse than they did with a worn, squared off rear tire running up front. It was an experience worth owning.

djkak

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »

Is he saying back when that bike was built you could?? Was that a possibility back then?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Yes it was possible. It still is. If ya run 16"'s F&R, the Conti 3.50 - 16 M/C 58P TT. It's a K112 or RB 2 or something like that! It can be front and rear by reversing the orientation of the tire for front or rear use! I'll be using it F&R on my Hoist Bobber! ;)

It's the one on the right!

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:36:25 PM by Hoist! »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »

OK, just got back from the shop! Bike is AWESOME!!! It's a new bike that can't be purchased and that HD only WISHED they could build!!! It's the ultimate 4-speed frame Evo bike!!! I just love how it came out. Exactly as I envisioned it and then some! Got a buncha pics of her done! If only the damn weather would cooperate!

Here's the pics of my finished '85A FXWG, all done up CVO style!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.