Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1st Paint Chip  (Read 1741 times)

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
1st Paint Chip
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:18:08 PM »

What a sad sad day........

While heading home from work today, a boulder the size of Texas came flying at me today.  Well it was big enough for me to see coming at me, and sure made a horrible sound as it made impact with my fairing.

Now I have my first stone chip....sigh.  It's almost in the middle of the fairing, and hit the pin stripe perfectly.

I know most people won't even notice it - but it looks like a meteor crater to me.

Any ideas to lessen the look of this crater?  Will buffing it help at all?

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: 1st Paint Chip
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »

Hey Buddy. Really sorry to read about the chip.  I'm glad it was no worse than that.  A good body guy can make the repair. I know a guy here in ft lauderdale that does amazing work.  Let me know if I can be of some kind of help.  Just glad it wasn't you..   So it could always be worse. 

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:33:32 AM »

Years ago on my Deuce I took a sizable bolt off the center of my glasses at 70 mph. Nearly knocked me silly. Pretty scary moment!

Bummer about the chip but a Texas Sized boulder off the fairing is way better than off the face.

Dang, now I feel the need to go wash and shine my baby. ???
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

nnecker

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »

If its only on the pin stripe its a easy fix. I have touched up 3 different HDs with excellent results. Clean the area with wax remover. Wear magnifiers and lightly sand the area with 1500 wet sand paper. With a toothpick fill the chip with paint. Let dry between coats,it will shrink. When almost flush scuff with 1500 again and apply the clearcoat with the same meathod. The clearcoat has the mettalic in it. Let dry for a day. Sand with the 1500 until disappears and rub with a fine compound until all sanding scratches disappear. The magnifiers are essential.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »

Sorry to hear about your chip. My first one was the same place a motorhome was being kind by pulling over to let me by and picked up a rock and flung at me. I know he didn't mean to so I feel your pain.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »

You better get used to it. If you really ride your bike it will look used. Some chirps and other signs of wear inevitably - thats life ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:29:28 PM »

........next one doesn't hurt so much!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

mark

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »

If its only on the pin stripe its a easy fix. I have touched up 3 different HDs with excellent results. Clean the area with wax remover. Wear magnifiers and lightly sand the area with 1500 wet sand paper. With a toothpick fill the chip with paint. Let dry between coats,it will shrink. When almost flush scuff with 1500 again and apply the clearcoat with the same meathod. The clearcoat has the mettalic in it. Let dry for a day. Sand with the 1500 until disappears and rub with a fine compound until all sanding scratches disappear. The magnifiers are essential.

x2.  This process takes time, but can work well.  A buddy had his show car paint scratched by his wife's cat.  A body guy used a similar process to fix his paint.  Can't tell where the scratch was.  Cat's buried in the back yard.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »

x2.  This process takes time, but can work well.  A buddy had his show car paint scratched by his wife's cat.  A body guy used a similar process to fix his paint.  Can't tell where the scratch was.  Cat's buried in the back yard.

:tekst-toppie:

Sorry to hear about the paint ding, Possum. I'm lucky and haven't experienced my first one yet... but it WILL come at some point.

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 12:53:37 AM »

First off.. sorry about your bike getting its first booboo... but it does happen.

Secondly, before you attempt to sand and fill that repair, you may want to consider that the entire "pinstripe" is a decal under the clearcoat.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:46:59 AM by 2012_FLTRXSE »

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 05:58:09 AM »

Sorry about the chip you new it was going to happen sooner or later.
DND

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.