Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Instruction: removing lower fairing speaker boxes - 2011 CVO Street Glide  (Read 5233 times)

DougsCVOGlide

Hi to the CVO community. This is my first post on here. Bought a 2011 CVO Street Glide in Kryptonite.  Had 2,000 miles and a few accessories added.  One thing I did last night was remove the lower fairings with the vent shields and speakers. For two reasons; I live in Florida and it is hot! The second reason is that the lower speakers suck!  After reading extensively on here, contacting some of the sources listed, without changing amps, then speakers and wiring the limitations of this 1 ohm system are hopeless. 
I saw one post that said that they simply unhook the speaker wires, remove the three crash bar bolts and carefully lower the whole assembly from the bike for the summer then re-install for the cold winter riding.  I don't have a lift at home (yet) so below is how to remove on the stand in the garage.

REMOVING THE TWO LOWER FAIRING/SPEAKERS  (with bike on the kickstand):
1. Unhook left and right speaker wiring.  Follow wiring coming from speaker pod up to connection (on each side of frame by the neck).  Cap or electrical tape the two open connections left on the   bike to seal out moisture.
2. Remove speakers.  4 #20 torx screws on top. Then just a little pressure with a very small slot screwdriver to pop them out.
3. Unplug speakers.  (Not necessary, but I did not want the weight of the speaker hanging on the wires while removing the fairings).
4. Remove two rubber plugs covering bolts using needle nose pliers. Just tug.
5. Unscrew two nuts holding fairing box around crash bar.  7/16" socket and a long extension to fit into the round holes where the nuts are.
6. Unscrew 1  #40 torx bolt on bottom part of fairing (hold 1/2" nut on back side to keep from turning). Hold with one hand or painter's tape - the fairing is now completely unhooked.
7. Remove fairing lower.
8. Remove lower bracket from crash bar.
9. Done - repeat on other side.
I put the two fairings all back together loosely, wrapped in towels and boxed for future use or sale down the road. Hopes this helps someone down the road. Looking forward to being on here for information and helping when I think I can.
Doug

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8

Welcome  :welcome_005: to the site from Toledo, Ohio and congrats on the purchase of your CVO.  Thankyou for the info on removing the lower's, well written.  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl

Welcome and congrats on your CVO purchase!! I just removed my lowers last week, I was curious to see the difference. I do notice the lower speakers are absent when the radio is on but hardly, and yes, the bikes runs cooler.  :2vrolijk_21:

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6

nice write up,  I bet it is cooler with out them on in fla.  You should also post in member introduction as well.  Put a couple pics of your bike as well if you can.  and welcome from Delaware Ohio     Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom

Hey Doug.  Good job removing the lowers.  Like you, I live in fla also and I took them off when the bike was about one month old.  You will notice a cooler motor and less wind buffeting too.  I have th fairing mount wind deflectors and the chrom inner for deflector.  Both do help at cruising speed.  Please post a pic of your bike,, you know the critics here want to check it out.  Including me.  :D.   My lowers most likely won't see the sun again till I sell it.  Enjoy the new ride.  Stuart.

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 21 queries.