Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: D&D Fat Cat question - Why the spacers on the mufflers?  (Read 2854 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
D&D Fat Cat question - Why the spacers on the mufflers?
« on: September 30, 2016, 07:02:12 PM »

Looking at pictures and it seems the D&D all run black spacers that space the muffler down from the bag, why is this? With extended bags, I like the look of the muffler tucked up into the outlet, not hanging down.

A side note, can anybody tell me exactly how big around the cans are? Are they right at 4"?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: D&D Fat Cat question - Why the spacers on the mufflers?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »

Looking at pictures and it seems the D&D all run black spacers that space the muffler down from the bag, why is this? With extended bags, I like the look of the muffler tucked up into the outlet, not hanging down.

A side note, can anybody tell me exactly how big around the cans are? Are they right at 4"?

The best way to get an answer would be to contact D&D directly.

Sales/Ordering
(817) 834-8961
sales@danddexhaust.com

Tech Support
(817) 834-0996
tech@danddexhaust.com

Warranty Inquiries
(817) 834-8961
warranty@danddexhaust.com

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 07:58:12 PM »

That's a good point, I'll try them next week. I was really looking for a real world answer. Are people running the spacers?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:48:18 PM »

That's a good point, I'll try them next week. I was really looking for a real world answer. Are people running the spacers?

That's why I mentioned talking to the horse's mouth.  "People" won't necessarily know the real purpose of those spacers, but I'm betting the folks who designed the system will know.

Perhaps the spacers are used with certain headpipes that drop lower than stock?  You want the mufflers to be in line with the headpipes, not angled, and you don't want the exhaust system to be placed in a bind.  That leads to nasty harmonics and vibrations.  So perhaps those spacers are designed to maintain proper alignment with the rest of the system.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 01:37:38 AM »

The spacers weren't always necessary.  My oldest set of Fatcats didn't come with the spacers and doesn't use them.  That set is maybe six or seven years old.  A set only a couple years newer did come with the spacers and needs them to fit correctly.  This is on similar vintage bikes so there is a difference in the pipes.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 11:24:31 AM »

Jerry and 2Lane are both correct.  You'll get the same answer from D&D, you just won't get it on the first call.  They're a great outfit, but a big outfit, therefore....beauracracy.  'Cource you could get lucky, and get connected to the right person the first time, and if so, they will tell you exactly what's been said here.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 12:18:17 PM »

Agree with all here.  I had them on my Pumpkin but used the covers you can buy from harley to help hide those spacers.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »

Are you considering the D&D now FAST380?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 12:26:46 PM »

LOL, I think I am considering everything... There is a local guy with one for sale at a good price, just not sure I want that much sound.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 12:55:35 PM »

Having used several universal muffler that you have to fabricate a mounting system.  I can tell you having the right size spacers make a difference on the mounting of the pipe.  If the spacers are not long enough the muffler will cock up on the collector.  Spacers to long and the muff will be cocked down.  Either of these is going to hold the header under tension.  By setting the header and then aligning the muffler and taking the time to have the muffler perpendicular to the header pipes.  Takes away any bind and just lets the whole system hang, and it looks better and not all canked up.  IMO nobody is ever going to notice the pipe hanging correctly but it sure sticks out when it isn't.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »

The spacers weren't always necessary.  My oldest set of Fatcats didn't come with the spacers and doesn't use them.  That set is maybe six or seven years old.  A set only a couple years newer did come with the spacers and needs them to fit correctly.  This is on similar vintage bikes so there is a difference in the pipes.
Ditto, 2009 FLTRSE3, no spacers

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 01:45:29 PM »

No spacers on my Boarzilla :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 22 queries.