CVO Technical > Cleaning/Detailing

Cleaning the inside of the headlight...

(1/2) > >>

Dejad:
The inside of my headlight and spot lights are all foggy and cruddy looking. I tried a cotton ball on a small wooden dowel but with the standoff type reflector/shield thing in there, it's kinda hard to get to most of it. It was semi-successful at best. It looks like a thin film of something I would compare to smoke stain. Anyone got any tricks to cleaning these things out? My buddies "08 ultra CVO has the same thing. I thought about some grease cutting dish soap/water and then blown it out lightly with compressed air to avoid water spots...

hoganth:
Remove lights from housing, remove bulbs, pour in 1 oz. Isopropyl Alcohol, swish around for about 30 seconds, dump out any remaining alcohol, blow out with compressed air until all alcohol evaporated.
Lights will look new and stay that way for long time

:)

T-Hawk:

--- Quote from: hoganth on September 17, 2015, 04:37:53 PM ---Remove lights from housing, remove bulbs, pour in 1 oz. Isopropyl Alcohol, swish around for about 30 seconds, dump out any remaining alcohol, blow out with compressed air until all alcohol evaporated.
Lights will look new and stay that way for long time

:)

--- End quote ---

Sounds easy right?   Just don't do like I did, and get impatient while thinking I had completely dried out the alcohol.  It takes longer than you would expect, but it does the trick if you take your time to ensure that its actually dry inside.

I used my Air Blaster Dryer, which eventually blows warmish air through a filter as opposed to my Air Compressor.  Even though I drain the Air Compressor's tank after every use, there's still some moisture inside the air tank that transfers back into the housing.

Good Luck,
T-Hawk

CVODON:
I have found sitting them in the sun for awhile works. I also had trouble with moisture remaining from compressor and I never thought about the master blaster.

Dejad:
Ok, I'll try the alcohol this evening. Thanks guys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version