Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: New Rinehart Tru Dual system install problem  (Read 23409 times)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
New Rinehart Tru Dual system install problem
« on: December 29, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »

For those of you who don't already know there is a compatability issue with the new Rinehart systems for the 2007 CVO bikes. The rear brake lever (extended reach HD part # 42638-03) does not work with the system because it will strike the header pipe heat shield that will eventually cause damage. I attached a picture of where the lever is striking the pipe for anyone who is interested. Also, this brake lever is avail for any touring model 2003 and up, so anyone with this lever will have to replace it or modify it. I have ordered a new lever for the bike and will update this forum when I install it and find out if it works.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 01:11:25 PM by copout221 »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: New Rinehart Tru Dual system install problem
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 01:46:53 PM »

I think that there was a previous thread about that same problem with Rineharts.  I think someone actually notched the heat shield around  the brake lever.  I personally like the extended brake lever over the more straight up and down lever that is stock on the non-CVOs.  BTW, the Vance and Hines duals don't pose any problem with the rear brake lever...there's plenty of clearance after the heat shield is put on.
Red
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 01:48:19 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 02:39:44 PM »

I was thinking about notching the heat shield but it would need to be laser cut which could cost money. That is if it is done right !!! If it is not cut properly the chrome will peel and crack which I don't want to deal with. Sounds like Rinehart should have looked at the V&H systems when designing theirs !!

I purchased this brake lever which is also extened. I hope it works. http://www.easternperformance.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=49
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 02:41:16 PM by copout221 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 02:55:05 PM »

I was thinking about notching the heat shield but it would need to be laser cut which could cost money. That is if it is done right !!! If it is not cut properly the chrome will peel and crack which I don't want to deal with. Sounds like Rinehart should have looked at the V&H systems when designing theirs !!

I purchased this brake lever which is also extened. I hope it works. http://www.easternperformance.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=49

At least awhile back the V&H duals got very close there too.  On the red bike the system is massaged a bit via slight work on the heat shield and a little Dremel action on the brake pedal.  Done on that back inside radius so you never see it unless you're laying on your stomach getting close to the brake pedal in ways that a normal human being should never get close to a brake pedal.

When the SEEGs were newer several ran in to this issue.  One solution for many was swapping brake pedals.  That billet piece we all have is much fatter than the steel pieces.  So the Kuryakyn or EZ Brake arms were common and good looking choices.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 02:56:40 PM by twolanerider »

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 05:33:25 PM »

I just spoke to Jennifer at RH.  Very nice lady.   I asked her about the fitment issues with the 2007 SERK and she did confirm that you do need to swith out the billet brake arm for the header to fit and not come in contact with this brake arm.  She stated they are still investigating a potential fix, i.e. a spacer or a different head pipe, but no confirmed fix as of yet other than switching out the pedal arm.

She did say that you (dealer) should not bend or alter the pipes as it may void the warranty.

I would be very interested to see what other types of brake arms are available, that would fit, and see what they do to the appearance of the bike.  I think one owner mentioned he "shaved" some of the billet arm off to make more space for the pipes to fit.

May cause yet another change in my choice of pipes [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif].  Good thing it is not going to be here until February. I'll change my mind twenty times by then.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 05:36:59 PM »

BTW,

Thanks Copout221 for a great post and pic.  Those of us about embark on this pipe journey appreciate your information.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 05:44:39 PM »

There are more pictures and modifications that were done concerning this problem with another brand of pipe in this thread - HELP with header pipes Bassani vs. V&H...

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 06:00:42 PM »

You're right about the cutting...chrome is funny that way.  The Rineharts are good pipes, hopefully, they'll get it right.  Someone had mentioned that it was just a simple matter off the second bend in the front pipe should have been made a little farther down (or up) and that would have fixed the problem...
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 06:43:27 PM »

Have they changed something with the current part number?  Mine has the notched heat shield and clears the factory billet brake pedal fine.  I'll grab a photo and post later tonight.  Seems odd that they would revert to something that is no longer compatible with our bikes as well as the non-CVOs. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 06:44:51 PM by 103tHunDer »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 11:03:20 PM »

It's a little hard to see in the photo, so I added the red line just to the left of the notched area on the heat shield.  The new ones don't have that, huh? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 11:29:19 PM »

Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but even with the notch in the shield, it looks like there's barely and clearance between the pipe and the lever... :-?

2012 FLHXSE3

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 11:42:10 PM »

It's the angle.  Plenty of daylight between the lever and the pipe, even with the bike running.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 11:47:46 PM »

It's the angle.  Plenty of daylight between the lever and the pipe, even with the bike running.

That's good to hear.  I couldn't believe that they would cut it that close.  ;)

2012 FLHXSE3

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 12:46:47 AM »

BTW,

Thanks Copout221 for a great post and pic.  Those of us about embark on this pipe journey appreciate your information.

Not a problem..I always try to contribute to the forum when possible. Especially when I use information from here everyday.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 12:50:54 AM »

It's a little hard to see in the photo, so I added the red line just to the left of the notched area on the heat shield.  The new ones don't have that, huh? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Is that Rinehart or V&H ?? I know the V&H have the notch but the engineer from Rinehart never informed me about that. Strange  :-/ :-/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.