Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quality Control: Is it the fairing, the lowers or the frame or HD staff or?  (Read 2516 times)

CultusRider

• Just because you have a crack in your arse doesn't make you a cripple.
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Know What Matters

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (sold)
    • CVO3: 2015 Fltruse

Washing my blue bird 15' fltruse this morning and I notice for the first time (washed it many times since last September) that there is a significant difference in the vertical gaps between the right and left side tops of the lowers and the bottom of the fairing. Looking more closely there is also a significant difference in the horizontal distance from the turn signal mounts to the front section of the lowers. So essentially some big time misalignment or possibly just a crooked bike ;)

Put the bike on level ground and blocked up the jiffy stand side to improve the side to side level as well and took some photos. Check out this comparison (my sweetheart helped with the measuring tape so the photos are not perfect side to side but trust me, the distances are accurately reflected)....

This may be perfectly normal coming from the motor company because I did notice on my 08' fltr that while riding, the fairing from the cockpit perspective always seems cocked to one side as well - the sight lines always bothered me and I noticed it on other RG's as well.
CultusRider

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

My fairing is off as well. It's closer on the left side. No one else notices it. I had the service department look at it and they weren't concerned with fixing it. He said most likely when installing at factory the main mount was off.

It does bug me but not enough to make them tear it down to straighten. If at some point I ever get into the fairing I will attempt it myself.

CultusRider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Know What Matters

So same side as mine - willing to bet this is a common flaw (either because of poor design or improper assembly). My fear is getting the local hd shop to fix it - there is a real risk it won't be done properly and something else will get compromised in the process which won't be apparent until something else goes wrong down the road. I think I will remove the fairing this winter and look at the mounting hardware.
CultusRider

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

If you do let me know what you find. I'll wait until I have a reason to get in there besides it being a little crooked.

Keep me posted.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded

Had the same issue on my 2011 Road Glide. I found the problem was how the fairing is mounted to the crash bar. I loosened the left and right chrome brackets at both ends. Once you loosen them they scissor forward and backward; this also offers up and down movement. I swiveled them took measurements and tightened them up. It looked perfect when done and I never had to open the fairing.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

CultusRider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Know What Matters

Had the same issue on my 2011 Road Glide. I found the problem was how the fairing is mounted to the crash bar. I loosened the left and right chrome brackets at both ends. Once you loosen them they scissor forward and backward; this also offers up and down movement. I swiveled them took measurements and tightened them up. It looked perfect when done and I never had to open the fairing.

Thanks for that! Going to check it out before the weekend. Cheers.
CultusRider

Page created in 0.619 seconds with 22 queries.