Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Whats everyone putting on they're 09's for exhaust  (Read 30129 times)

MikeD

Whats everyone putting on they're 09's for exhaust
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:20:50 PM »

Vance and hines didn't look good at all, the rolled ovals, the tapered slash cuts, and I'm not crazy about the turn downs with beak on there.  The bub7's came in today and they don't fit.  I can get a D and D in tomorrow and a Rinehart.  I have ran both before, but I like the Rineharts better due to the true dual system.  (which they are currently working on)  I know people here have put on d and d's and rineharts, and some have talked about using fulsac.  But I want to buy pipes that fit the bike as well as work with the bike,  fit and function basically.  So through in your $.02 here and/or post your pics/opinions! 

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Whats everyone putting on they're 09's for exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:50:12 PM »

Hey Mike,

Patience is a virtue.  Here's $.02.  Why not hang tough and get some choices?   :coolblue:   Easy for me to say as mine does not come until next month.  I've talked with V&H, Bub and Samson, all of whom say they're working on it.  Let the aftermarket guys do their research and save some $$ for a month or two.  Rather than buy something less than ideal, take out a set of baffles or the cat.  I think the stock pipes look great, at least at the mufflers.  The cross over looks like a mickey mouse job and I'm sure the new Rinehart true duals will be better (not an endorsement, just an expectation). 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

MikeD

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »

Good point Greg!  I will agree that the stock pipes look great on there. 

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:33:28 PM »

Wow MikeD sorry to hear about the Bub7s, that's what I was wanting too.

I have spoken with Steve at Fullsac the last couple of days and he quickly made a student of me. Seems to know his chit bout HD's, HP,Torque, and how to get more of it. He believes that there is untapped power in that 110. Much of his suggestions, I can do myself.

For little of nothin you can easily remove your existing cores with a die grinder and slip in his new cores. He will sell and send you a core kit. I believe I will try the 2" cores as these will pave the way for future engine enhancements.

Someone has plowed the ground for us and sent in a set of 09 SERG muffs. He will look at them do the retro fit and tell us if they fit up properly, maybe by Friday. If they don't fit, he will modify his design so that our orders will fit.

So.... I figure, keep my current, bad ass looking muffler bodies, and install the cores. He's thinking they will be good for 7-10 HP. And...... there's more yet, to be had..... I will get over this hurtle and then look at the intake.

Sure the exposed air filter appears to have more square inch than any I've seen, but what's the duct work look like behind there, before it enters the throttle bodies?? May be somein to play with there  :coolblue:. The real test is to pull a dyno run with the stock air box on and compare it to a second dyno pull with the air box off. Then we will know...

If the retro cores don't make the cut on the Dyno.... then maybe someone else will get their chit together and provide up with something that will. For now, I am impressed with this guy. I will follow his lead.

My 2 cents, Hell what do I know??
The impossible just takes a little longer

MikeD

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:51:21 PM »

his price is right too!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 09:06:57 PM »

Iglide / Mike, The Fullsac strategy is appealing though maybe beyond my mechanical prowess (what little there is of it anyway).  Did Steve say they can give you directions for the core replacement if they send it to you?  What is a die grinder and do you have to weld the new cores in?  If this is doable at home it actually sounds fun. 

Have you thought about the crossover?  It looks small and changes shape which can't be good for flow.  Finally, what about the cats?  Leave in or out?  If out, how to remove?  Thanks for any info. 

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

BUNKERBEER

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2009 Rocker 103 stage 4
    • CVO3: 2008 Street Bob
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »

got the v and h big radius on my 2009 FXDFSE (fat bob)
2009 CVO Road Glide
2009 Rocker 103 stage 4
2008 Street Bob

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »

I put on the Rinehart slip on mufflers (and a Super SERT) as a temporary fix while Rinehart develops their tru dual system. It makes my bike sound more like a Harley while I'm breaking it in. When the tru deal system becomes available, I'm going to add the header pipe to the mufflers, remap the engine, and I should be good to go.  I've always been a fan of Rinehart's sound and performance.  Here's a picture.  The black end caps look good with the Silver paint scheme although I wish the mufflers were 4".

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »

I put on the Rinehart slip on mufflers (and a Super SERT) as a temporary fix while Rinehart develops their tru dual system. It makes my bike sound more like a Harley while I'm breaking it in. When the tru deal system becomes available, I'm going to add the header pipe to the mufflers, remap the engine, and I should be good to go.  I've always been a fan of Rinehart's sound and performance.  Here's a picture.  The black end caps look good with the Silver paint scheme although I wish the mufflers were 4".
That option hasn't been available in the past. Rinehart slip on mufflers where they fit into the head pipes have been a different diameter then the mufflers that work with their true dual system.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »

That option hasn't been available in the past. Rinehart slip on mufflers where they fit into the head pipes have been a different diameter then the mufflers that work with their true dual system.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Hmm.  I'll have to talk to my service manager who assured me they would be comaptible.  If they're, someone will get a great deal on a set of lightly used Rinehart slip on mufflers.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 10:15:42 PM »

Sure Man, you can do this.

Steve sent me pics of the disassembly. A die grinder is a rotary tool, like a dremmel. I will buy an electric with an extended reach (longer neck between the handle and chuck) from Harbor Freight $39.00. You just need to come up with a carbide cutting bit to put in the 1/4" arbor/chuck on the rotary tool.

Look at the muff tips and you will see that 3 screws will remove the tips. Even with the tips on, you look past them and see where the core faces are spot welded onto the inner wall of the muff sleeve. After removing the tips, just grind away at those spot welds a little at a time. I believe there are three spot welds per muff. Wear goggles and work with good lighting, I will bet that you can grind through those spot welds and..... presto pull out the stock baffles (cores). Then you will measure back from the tip in the location Steve provides you and drill a hole to mount the new cores internally. Be sure and center punch that hole spot for drilling so the drill bit doesn't crawl all over the chrome muff outer housing and screw it up. A drill press would probably be best for this step.

Talk to Steve, I really don't view this procedure as a big deal. If you want to wait, I will do this myself after Steve does the initial check out Friday. I've got to order the cores first, but Steve is reluctant to ship them until he knows that they will fit the new SERG muffs that he should receive this Friday. Hey great idea, thanks!

I could send you step by step pics if you like.. when I retro mine...

But, What the hell do I know??

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 10:25:38 PM »

I would also be very interested in the Fulsac cores.  I have spoke with Steve before when I did my 06 RG mufflers and he is a really great person.  Sent my cores to him on Monday and had them back Friday.  Please keep me in the loop.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »

Hi Gang..  I sent my mufflers to Steve and like you Iglide he opened my eyes to some good points.  I would have overnighted him the muffs but they wanted $366 to overnight from St Louis to Arizona. GULP  He will have them by Friday he said won't take him long to get them done.  I was impressed with his knowledge of the perfomance of the bike.  And if you doubt what he knows you should check out his video of him.  Should have them back a week from tomorrow and I will be out of town but I will definately get them on late next week.  As cool as this bike is the sound is terrible, no kidding I had the bike in the driveway running and start my weedeater  and let me tell you know much difference :huepfenlol2:

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 11:16:46 PM »

Thanks Do-well for plowing the new ground,

I figured it was someone on this website.
I think you are onto something here, at least it won't cost a fortune initially.

Maybe, if we all work together we can turn a (get ready for this) ..... aaaaa 80 HP stock bike...... you know, where it really counts where the rear tire hits the dyno mat....  into something that will pass in a head wind... well forget that...

turn this machine into a 100 Hp, 110 ft/lbs torque starter bike with potential for more.   :o

But....

What the Hell do I know???

MikeD

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 06:27:35 AM »

What is Steve recommending for a tuner? SERT?  or is he even recommending one?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.