Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone Powder Coat Engine Complete?  (Read 622 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Anyone Powder Coat Engine Complete?
« on: April 23, 2020, 06:11:25 PM »

I have a new car project coming up that I will be using a new to me '05 CVO Fat Boy 103" "B" motor.  Currently it's Harley silver and I'm assuming Harley used powdercoating for its finish.

Mine has some peeling and chipping here and there along with some discoloration that is too much all over to just touch up.  I want to refinish the motor.

My choices are, just clean up and spray paint a new color or the same color.  OR, tear down and send it out to be powder coated completely.  I'm not sure if I would just go with a new black textured Harley powder coat finish or go with the silver textured finish.  If I tear down the motor to have sent out, it would then offer a chance to get a set of rings and clean up with a valve job.  Although painting would be faster and simpler and NOT getting into the motor.

Anyone have an engine fully powder coated?  If so, approximately what would something like that run?

I went to Sumax for a look see and they have pretty high prices listed per part, but I got a reply back that they sold their powder coating business.  I contacted Greg James at the new place (607)259-5204, and he said that if I sent him pictures he could get me some budget number.  I would kind of like to know ahead of time just what I'm getting into and if he's a viable option.

Thanks and stay well everyone!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 24 queries.