Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Oil Level Question  (Read 4774 times)

RonsterMonster

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

Re: Oil Level Question
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 08:00:26 PM »

When filled to "full" when cold these engines often mist; sometimes significantly.  That is to say they'll push oil or aerated/cavitated oil mist up through the breather system in the head and out the air cleaner.

That's an odd response. Why would oil tank level have anything to do with "misting", since it has no effect on how the sump works, or how much oil or pressure there is in the rockerbox? If you have an engine misting with a full oil tank, there is likely a crankcase ventilation issue. The oil level has no relation to rockerbox volumetric performance.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 04:50:58 AM »

It's something I've noticed when I've topped up the oil to the Full mark when I've gone to start the bike cold or hot on start up it would at times not start straight away when this would happen I'd stop then hit the starter again it would fire up but then spit out a cloud of blue,...with oil on the Full mark,.

When the oil is on roughly the halfway mark(I call it 2 blocks down, as the dip is suctioned of in blocks) the blue will not happen on a restart. So the 2 block down level works for mine.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 08:18:33 AM »

On the Harleys I have owned 1/2 quart low is just about right.  4 quarts added at an oil change = problems.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 10:04:02 AM »

just to add, if the oil level is between the 'add' and 'full' marks, it is not 'low'.  that is the operating range.  oil is not 'low' until it is below the 'add' mark.  so if you are not actively using oil, if it is in-between the 2 marks, you are good to go.  it does nothing to add oil at that point, as tennisman has found out.  of course, if you are near the 'add' mark and getting ready to do a fair ride, you can add a little to bring you up higher on the stick, for peace of mind.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 24 queries.