Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Re-painted FXR3--comments?  (Read 12926 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: Re-painted FXR3--comments?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 06:05:04 PM »

In my case, having the side covers painted to match so exactly by a local shop convinced me that I could (in case of disaster) replicate "Arresting Red" quite well locally.  The tank logo decal would be the tricky part but we got really close to matching the look with the side cover graphics.  Anyway, I'm not sure I'd go to HD at all and I'd come out so close that it would take quite a detective to ever know it wasn't original paint.

Mike~~

I too have had success matching the "arresting red" color of my bike to a "perfect" match....the only issue facing both of us is the Hologram HARLEY DAVIDSON but perhaps with the right painter even that could be accomplished.....

Regards,

Tim

RedFXR2

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »

speaking of Triumph.....take a peek:

HOW TRIUMPH IS MADE

Regards,

Tim

That's a good one.  Saw it a while back.  Gotta love (or at least have an appreciation for) British humor.

Come to think of it, "getting" British humor was important in the 1970's for Triumph ownership as well.  I could either laugh or cry. ;D

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »

Come to think of it, "getting" British humor was important in the 1970's for Triumph ownership as well.  I could either laugh or cry

LOL..... :bananarock:

Regards,

Tim

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 03:42:02 AM »

Paint job is blunt, the flames have no common line of sight. This bike ain't no CVO anymore. 2c.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

elvislee

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »

This bike would not appeal to me if I was looking for a CVO FXR.  On the other hand, I'v sometimes thought (one of those "If I won the lottery" things) that it would be fun to get a second FXR and play with it, including custom paint.  For that purpose, this bike would be a good candidate since, as has been pointed out, it would have all the most recent refinements to Evo motors and a relatively young FXR frame.

I have this simmering desire to paint a FXR sort of like my old 1974 Triumph.  Black and Mango gold with white pinstripes. I could do that with this FXR3 easy.

Mike, you got any full view pics of this Triumph? Would love to see em if you can :2vrolijk_21:

RedFXR2

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »

Mike, you got any full view pics of this Triumph? Would love to see em if you can :2vrolijk_21:

Nope.  That bike was mine waaaay befoe the days of digital cameras.  And what few conventional photos I had have mostly been lost.  There might be one in a box in the attic.

But here are some photos of the same bike I found on the web.  Those bikes (and most British bikes of that era) were both beautiful and troublesome at the same time.  (women?)  Mine had paint as smooth as glass and hand-laid pinstripes that were perfect.  The chrome was some of the deepest I've ever seen.  The frame used semi-ornamental cast lugs at the joints instead of butted welds--like a fine hand-made bicycle .  When it ran, it ran great and handled super.  The down side was metal used in the engine that was too soft--fasteners would round off at the drop of a hat and the pushrods would mushroom at the ends making valve adjustment short-lived.  I mean like 20 miles.  And of course it leaked at the gasket surfaces.  Most Brit Bike folks still talk about horrible British electrical systems, but that was one area that never gave me any trouble.

I sold it to a Triumph mechanic from a dealership who knew all about the maladies and had fixes ready for all of them, so I didn't have to soft pedal the troubles and he wasn't scared of them.

http://www.ronh.org/t150v_hr.htm

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:55:59 PM by RedFXR2 »

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »

I assume there is no possibility to purchase replacement tins from the MoCo?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 10:28:27 PM »

I assume there is no possibility to purchase replacement tins from the MoCo?

I think they've discontinued supplying tins for them. But I'll bet Gene can get it done properly!!! If I wanted to return the paint to stock, I wouldn't think twice or worry about having Gene bring the bike back to original. And for LOADS less than buying new painted CVO tins from HD!!! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.paintbygene.com/

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 01:59:21 PM »

I found another re-painted FXR3 on ebay.

Something doesn't look right about the front end--too much rake, maybe?  Handlebars pulled back too far, maybe?  And the fork legs aren't chrome.  This paint job isn't even custom, IMO, so why wouldn't the owner re-paint in the original scheme?  I mean, if something happened to the bike to necessitate new paint, why do this over the original scheme?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »

I'm guessing the forks aren't chrome since they would've had to be replaced to accomodate that dual piston caliper on there.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »

I'll bet he crashed, and that was the easiest way to put it back together! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »

nothing wrong with basic black, but i'll never understand giving up a CVO paint scheme for it
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 02:29:33 PM »

nothing wrong with basic black, but i'll never understand giving up a CVO paint scheme for it

I'm thinking if he crashed, either it was too difficult or too expensive, to deal with replacing a CVO FXR3 paint job. The painted parts are no longer available. ;)

Hoist! 8)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »

um, if i recall neanderpaul got a new fxr3 tank a couple of years ago
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »

um, if i recall neanderpaul got a new fxr3 tank a couple of years ago

Someone checked recently though and said they're no longer available. I've never checked myself, but would prolly send my stuff to Paint By Gene if I ever need any paint work on mine anyway! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 20 queries.