Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Reception on SEUC XM??!!  (Read 6899 times)

MightyMule

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Reception on SEUC XM??!!
« on: April 16, 2006, 07:51:44 PM »

Was wondering if others had any reception problems with xm? Some areas that are still picking up fm real good, I lose the xm signal. Not just a bridge, but parts of town. Is there an antennae inside the fairing? mabey a way to boost? Any help will be very appreciated.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Reception on SEUC XM??!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 08:05:49 PM »

Is there an antennae inside the fairing? mabey a way to boost? Any help will be very appreciated.

There is an antenna inside the fairing up high on the left side.  Unless "in parts of town" means tucked away between some big-ass tall buildings you shouldn't have a problem.  Only time I lose reception is inside the garage with the bike leaned over (reception is ok when the bike is straight and the antenna is again pointed straight up, or when under a tunnel of trees (or a tunnel itself).

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 02:39:51 PM »

Mine is in between both of yours.  I loose it when an 18 wheeler passes me, and inside the garage it only works if the nose of the bike is near the door.  Can't say I'm impressed with XM.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 04:01:38 PM »

Mine is in between both of yours.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 04:07:57 PM »

Was wondering if others had any reception problems with xm? Some areas that are still picking up fm real good, I lose the xm signal. Not just a bridge, but parts of town. Is there an antennae inside the fairing? mabey a way to boost? Any help will be very appreciated.

Completely different types of signals, XM has to be able to see the satellite to recieve, put something in the way (buildings, bridges, trees, even heavy enough clouds or rain) and it can't see the satellite, and ya can't boost something that isn't there, either it's getting the signal or it's not.  Ultimately they'll get a few more satellites up and it'll get signal from more than one, then your problems will go away, but until that happens it'll drop out.  I usually switch to CD if I get into the woods/mountains cause I know it's gonna drop in and out alot.

MightyMule

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 07:06:32 PM »

I'm saying that I lose it on my bike way more often than I lose it in my truck. I love xm, have it in my garage, truck, and bike. Just seems the antennae is located poorly or something like that. Same roads and part of town, truck has good xm, bike dont!!?

cigarmike

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 11:17:08 PM »

Im not impressed with mine either, lose the signal too much......I also heard that XM radio lost $680 million last year, they may not be around too much longer, and I wouldnt buy stock till its almost free.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 11:17:58 PM by cigarmike »

ultramellon

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 06:43:21 PM »

have the same problem with mine I was told it is the location of the antenna under the fairing is the reason that it loses the signal ultra mellon

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 10:32:29 AM »

Guess I'm the exception 'cause I love my XM.  Granted when traveling a two-lane country road lined with lots of trees it can lose signal.  But where it really shines is on road trips where stations can be few and far between not to mention trying to find one you like.  Think most of the reception problem is due to fact that antenna is inside fairing.  On cars/trucks antenna has a direct line of sight to satellite.  Even so I still think it is great. [smiley=banana.gif]

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Mikeial

• Recalcitrant not just a word, but a way of life
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 04:07:50 PM »

XM is good stuff, but the negative is that it is line of site.  

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 10:40:52 AM »

I had the same problem when I had xm installed on my 2006 fltri.  The fix came when they moved the antenna from inside to outside the fairing.  I can even listen to xm inside my North facing garage with the garage door closed.  The antenna is now wedged between the windscreen and the dash in the center of the bike.  You can't even see it while riding.  
Hope this helps.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 11:14:44 AM »

I had the same problem when I had xm installed on my 2006 fltri.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »

How about a picture showing where you placed it?

[smiley=worthless.gif] need we say it again?

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 01:19:32 PM »

Ok will snap off a picture and try to post it later today.  It completely resolved my reception problem.  

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 09:32:31 AM »

I have been an XM customer for many years. I have it in all my vehicles, motorcycle, home, office, etc. I always hated the reception from that tiny magnetic antenna. The bike itself can easily block the reception. I ride a lot of country roads, and the trees are always in the way. The trucker's antenna I mounted on my m/c works great. It seems to boost the gain. I can get a clear reception inside a tunnell, under trees etc. Only problem is that the thing is four feet long. Looks like something out of a futuristic movie. Big antenna looks bad, but works great! It can be viewed in the pictures section on this web-site.
Nasty
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 09:08:32 PM »

Here is a shot of the XM antenna installed outside the fairing on a 2006 Roadglide.  I now have perfect reception.  Hope this helps.

If someone could resize my photo I would appreciate it.  Thanks
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 09:10:05 PM by GregLyon »

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 11:55:14 PM »

Anyone know if the harley xm antenna is waterproof? Can it just sit on the dash in the weather?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 03:22:43 PM by fxdjerry »

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 10:40:01 PM »

I have been an XM customer for many years. I have it in all my vehicles, motorcycle, home, office, etc. I always hated the reception from that tiny magnetic antenna. The bike itself can easily block the reception. I ride a lot of country roads, and the trees are always in the way. The trucker's antenna I mounted on my m/c works great. It seems to boost the gain. I can get a clear reception inside a tunnell, under trees etc. Only problem is that the thing is four feet long. Looks like something out of a futuristic movie. Big antenna looks bad, but works great! It can be viewed in the pictures section on this web-site.
Nasty

Nasty, I see what you mean about that antenna. Man, you could hang Old Glory on that pole! ;D Awesome lookin scooter, love what you did to it! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

Gordito

• Full CVO Member
  • I know Jack Sh*t
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 12:03:56 PM »

I have XM running on my scoot, and frankly am not that impressed. The reception seems to be fine, but you really have to blast the volume to hear it on the freeway. I can play CDs at half and hear it extremely well.  8-)
2006 FLHTCUSE
Red Shift 575 gear drive cams
Heads ported & polished
Zippers hi flow air filter
Bassani True Duals
Bassani Megaphones
race tuner

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 03:34:04 PM »

I have XM running on my scoot, and frankly am not that impressed. The reception seems to be fine, but you really have to blast the volume to hear it on the freeway. I can play CDs at half and hear it extremely well.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 03:32:38 PM »

MightyMule, playing around with the XM unit itself while out in the sun yesterday, my husband found an ability to tune in different levels of "loudness" on it.  I never needed to turn mine up all the way, although after a few miles I do find that I just keep getting it louder, not by need but because it is fun.  ;-) Discovered new station - 49 - Big Tracks.  Rock and Roll.   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 04:48:29 PM »

MightyMule, playing around with the XM unit itself while out in the sun yesterday, my husband found an ability to tune in different levels of "loudness" on it.  I never needed to turn mine up all the way, although after a few miles I do find that I just keep getting it louder, not by need but because it is fun.  ;-) Discovered new station - 49 - Big Tracks.  Rock and Roll.   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

If your radio is the one introduced in 2006, that feature make it louder as you go faster and create more background noise. There are 4 settings. I use the highest setting creating the greatest differential between high and stopped volume.

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 02:27:55 AM »

Maybe this works
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 12:53:24 PM »

I am also disappointed with the XM.  We have Sirus in the car and have travelled the same roads in it as on the MC with the XM.  Sirus never looses the signal in the same area that XM does.  I heard that HD may offer a Sirus module to replace the XM.

I plan to pull off the fairing to do some other wiring & I'm going to see about moving the antenna to the top of my padded dash pad.  A friend of mine with an older Ultra and an add on XM did that with his antenna and it worked much better than inside the fairing.

Bill (SklyWag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 11:28:29 AM »

I have had xm radio on my road king for a couple of years mostly comes in great but does cut off in spots. They originally had you mount antenna in the saddle bag but with a passenger on board leg over saddle bag cut out signal so moved it to the back side of license plate magnet sucked it right on and signal much better, also ran the hose over it many times, no problem. Anyway sold the king and waiting for new blue jester so I can transfer the service over.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.