Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: LED headlight vs Daymakers  (Read 16142 times)

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
LED headlight vs Daymakers
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »

I have had two 2014 CVO's with these new Daymaker Headlamps. I absolutely hate them at night. They are fine going straight down the highway, but in the mountains or curvy roads I can't see around the corners enough to feel safe. I was wondering if anyone else has this feeling and have you changed to something else? I'm thinking about trying the new Daymaker Reflector LED Headlamps and AUX lamps. ANyone got any input?
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

FinalShot

• 2015 CVO Limted
    • TX

Re: LED headlight vs Daymakers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »

Like you, I lost all visual reference with the projector style light on my 15 CVO. I bought a reflector style light and the adapter you will need. I haven't ridden at night in the twisties yet so I can't really tell you if it makes a difference. I can tell you that it doesn't have the same "punch" down the road as the projector does but is still pretty darn good.

My plan is to use my GoPro and take a before and after video of an area that I ride frequently.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 01:18:34 PM »

I ordered mine today. I hope they are better or I'm putting a regular lamp in. I hate these. I feel like a Horse with Blinders on in the curves.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

SE-Mike

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 CVO FatBoy
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »

I've seen my buddy's projector LED and was not impressed, so when the Reflector LED came out I was excited to try it. It is much better than the stock headlight, but does not reach far enough down the road for me. I have HID lights on my other bike and really like the coverage and distance that they project, but don't like the power they draw. I was hoping the new LED would give me the light I needed without the power drain.

If you find your unhappy with the LED Reflector, you may want to look at a quality HID.

DOWNTOWN DON

• Full CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: 2012 flhxse3 Black diamond, Dark slate. (WRECKED)
    • CVO2: 2015 flhxse4 Starfire Black/Gold Dust Flames.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:28:50 PM »

Has anyone done an actual side by side comparrison between the daymaker and the phase 7 by truk lite? I've seen the you tube vids, but it's usually venders bragging up their own product. I have a phase 7 off my last cvo, but crashed the bike before really getting to try it out. Now my new cvo is going to have the daymaker on it from stock. I was gonna sell the phase 7, but not if it's better than the daymaker.
CVO1:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2" power cores & tts mastertune, mustang super solo vintage/13" rear pillion, 7" lrs ultra elite dark tint windshield, truk lite ph7 headlight & custom dynamics signals,  color matched king tour pak.
CVO2:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2 1/4" power cores, screens, & tts mastertune, 7" lrs ultra elite/dark tint/screemin eagle scripture, fairing vents, fork baffle, matching pass boards & backrest, and a LOT more to come.

Thx and come again: "DOWNTOWN DON"

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »

easy problem to solve.  get a roadglide  :drummer:  :P

my daymakers are great at night, whether on the straightaways, or the twisties....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »

I have the truck lite headlight and running lights, love them. Mine are about 2 years old.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

LED headlight vs Daymakers
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 11:55:30 PM »

In my non-scientific test, the Phase7 lamp was far WORSE than the DayMaker projector in the curves.
I had the dual bulb halogen in my 10 ultra CVO. I borrowed and tried the phase 7 lamp just briefly and absolutely hated it as soon as the road turned at all. That horizontal light pattern that was outstanding on the straights was horrid in any turn; a 30* lean and both the center of the road AND the inside of the turn were completely dark.
Put the dual bulb back in. I started hearing that the new projectors were better and I took a chance when a buddy was swapping his for the black versions. I got his HD projectors from his '14 ltd including the spots. OK, they are BETTER than the phase 7 in the curves, there is no doubt about this. However, they are still terrible compared to the dual-bulb for this. The spots help a lot but not enough.
The HD projectors are badass on the straightaways, tho.
I already have some kury fork mounted lamps and I'm going to upgrade them with their LED kit and I'm hoping they will fill in the blanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:52:37 AM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »

I will agree that the daymakers on the '13 back RG are the bees knees.  We installed a set on skunk ryders '12 and when he's behind me, I really don't need my headlight....it's that bright.  I broke down and bought the Kury phase 7 for my '12 SESG in August '13 and have been enjoying it ever since.  It was less expensive than the HD daymaker for my bike and I like the light pattern much better than the single daymaker.  It's still not near the headlight setup that is on Rick's '12 skunk but it's much brighter than the stock dual bulb.  It took me a bit to get it adjusted to my liking but after a bit of tinkering, it's working well with the way I have it adjusted.  I would have prefered to kept my dual bulb headlight and put LED bulbs (not available) or a brighter halogen but for the use I've gotten out of the phase 7, it has been worth it to me.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »

Just for kicks, here's a comparison with pics on some of the lights mentioned
http://bogiesreviews.webs.com/Review%20-%20Phase%207%20LED%20Headlights%20&%20Passing%20Lamps.pdf

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »

I will agree that the daymakers on the '13 back RG are the bees knees.  We installed a set on skunk ryders '12 and when he's behind me, I really don't need my headlight....it's that bright.  I broke down and bought the Kury phase 7 for my '12 SESG in August '13 and have been enjoying it ever since.  It was less expensive than the HD daymaker for my bike and I like the light pattern much better than the single daymaker.  It's still not near the headlight setup that is on Rick's '12 skunk but it's much brighter than the stock dual bulb.  It took me a bit to get it adjusted to my liking but after a bit of tinkering, it's working well with the way I have it adjusted.  I would have prefered to kept my dual bulb headlight and put LED bulbs (not available) or a brighter halogen but for the use I've gotten out of the phase 7, it has been worth it to me.

Spot on... I rode my RK CVO with a friend that, at the time, had a 2011 Road Glide with the Daymaker lights.  The way the headlights in his bike lit up the road was amazing... much better than the one on my RK.

I now have the caliper mounted lights and also switched the turn signals for Custom Dynamics driving light turn signal combo...

But those older RG Daymaker lights were awesome...
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »

mine are phase 5 I believe, not sure what the different phase generations did for lighting.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »

.....and also switched the turn signals for Custom Dynamics driving light turn signal combo...

But those older RG Daymaker lights were awesome...

Back atcha on the C.D. halo turn signals.  They are bright enough to actually give me some front/side lighting.  While they aren't driving grade, they help visually to see and be seen.  Love my Custom D's.....

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »

Had a 12 CVO Road glide with the Original Day Maker lights installed.  By far the best head light I have ever had on any bike.  Better than the new Day Makers lights that are on my 15 CVO Road Glide.  I would say my 15 has the second best lights I have had on a bike. 

The Day Maker on my CVO RK is a very good light, but does not compare to the lights on either road glide.  Its not the reflector Daymaker, but the first style.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »

I won't dispute the superiority of the double lights on the Road Glides, but I like the Daymaker headlight on my 2014 CVO King also. I should say I don't ride a lot at night and after sundown I try to avoid roads that I know have really tight dark turns, so for the riding I normally do at night this light is great. It lights at least three times farther down the road than my 2010 Heritage that had the stock halogen reflector and aux lights.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »

I won't dispute the superiority of the double lights on the Road Glides, but I like the Daymaker headlight on my 2014 CVO King also. I should say I don't ride a lot at night and after sundown I try to avoid roads that I know have really tight dark turns, so for the riding I normally do at night this light is great. It lights at least three times farther down the road than my 2010 Heritage that had the stock halogen reflector and aux lights.

All we are saying is that the Daymaker lights in the older Road Glides (the daymaker lights that came out before the 2015 ) are the best of all that have come out so far.

I have an RK CVO as well... and side by side with the 2011 Road Glide with Daymakers...simply no comparison... That same guy upgraded his 2011 RG to a 2015 RG-S a few weeks ago, and the same thing... his new lights are not better than the ones he had on the 2011...  HD went backwards in light output or the design of the housing in the new RGs headlights... but they are not as good as the previous generation.

Anyway.... with the RK CVO stock headlight, and the auxiliary lights that I have, it is all good now.  :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 06:22:06 PM »

All we are saying is that the Daymaker lights in the older Road Glides (the daymaker lights that came out before the 2015 ) are the best of all that have come out so far.

X2!!!!!!!!!

:bananarock:

YB

2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »

I live way out, in the Sticks, about 20 miles from the nearest roads with street lights.  Its very dark with lots of curves.  The Daymaker single light like on my 13 CVO King and Kings before 15 are the best single light headlights in my opinion.  My wife has phase 5 led on her heritage and this is better.  I had HID and this is better.  So far the only thing better is the Road Glide original Daymakers

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 08:27:21 PM »

Maybe part of the redesign was to cut costs and increase profits and put out a lessor product.  I know that is out of character for HD though.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »

Maybe part of the redesign was to cut costs and increase profits and put out a lessor product.  I know that is out of character for HD though.

:oops: :nixweiss:

I could agree when we are talking the lights on the CVO.  But lets take the Road Glide in 13, only the CVO had LED Daymakers.  Now while its not quite as good a light as the original on the CVO, on the road glide and road glide Special it is far superior to any light that has been on it before.

Also Every 15 road glide I know that has been delivered has had to have the lights adjusted up, and that makes a huge difference.  My bike they were way low, same with my Wifes, same with another Lady my wife knows and a Guy I know.  Seems they come aimed very low from the factory.

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »

What year did the CVO start coming with daymakers as oem? is there a projector led or HID available? Ive always understood that projectors if adjusted properly throw out more light?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 07:47:54 AM »

What year did the CVO start coming with daymakers as oem? is there a projector led or HID available? Ive always understood that projectors if adjusted properly throw out more light?
For the Road Glide it was 2013.  My 12 had regular lights, and a friends 13 came with the Daymakers.  The original non reflectors are brighter than the ones on my 15 which are reflector.  I installed the day makers original style on my 12.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 04:02:41 PM »

as an aside: While Christmas shopping I saw the Phase 7 pretty cheap here: http://www.leatherup.com/p/Cruiser-Motorcycle-Headlights/Kuryakyn-Phase-Seven-7-in.-L.E.D.-Headlight/321595.html
As stated, I'm not a big fan of it but many are, and the price seemed notable.

2010FLHTCUSE5

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »

I have a 2008 CVO Ultra and put HIDs into the dual halogen bulb housing. I like the light output and pattern. They are very bright day and night. For my passing lamps I have LEDs similar to the Trucklite Phase 6's. I put Custom Dynamics LED rings for my turn signals. I'm happy with this setup.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 11:39:33 AM »

That sounds interesting. Can you post some pics? I'm also curious as to the "color" of the HIDs.

2010FLHTCUSE5

DOWNTOWN DON

• Full CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: 2012 flhxse3 Black diamond, Dark slate. (WRECKED)
    • CVO2: 2015 flhxse4 Starfire Black/Gold Dust Flames.
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »

I have a 2008 CVO Ultra and put HIDs into the dual halogen bulb housing.

Just curious, where did you mount the ballasts?
CVO1:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2" power cores & tts mastertune, mustang super solo vintage/13" rear pillion, 7" lrs ultra elite dark tint windshield, truk lite ph7 headlight & custom dynamics signals,  color matched king tour pak.
CVO2:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2 1/4" power cores, screens, & tts mastertune, 7" lrs ultra elite/dark tint/screemin eagle scripture, fairing vents, fork baffle, matching pass boards & backrest, and a LOT more to come.

Thx and come again: "DOWNTOWN DON"

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 03:31:41 PM »

If you want good lights check out Clearwaters Erica lights. 6,000 Lumens per light.

I have a set on my 1200GS, cant get better lights.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »

Well, now that I've checked on the ERICAs, the HD projector seems quite the bargain.

I've looked through their site and cannot find the answer to a simple question: How many lamps are in a 'kit'?

They do look awesome. I currently have the Kury 3" fork-mounted lamps and am planning to get their led conversion kit (5035) for them. These other smaller clearwaters are looking pretty cool.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:05:58 PM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »

The Clearwater light kits all come with a pair of lights. The Ericas are 6K lumens ea for a total of 12K lumens, but much too large for a fork mount. The Darlas at 2K lumens ea are the best choice for fork mounts. Each kit has an on/ off switch, a variable dimmer, and can be wired to the horn circuit so the lights flash with horn activation. Expensive, but top of the line parts and construction

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »

Erica's are not cheap but then again I was looking for good lights, not lights that look good.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »

Exactly, we have them on our R1200RT. The owner is a friend of ours

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 05:00:01 PM »

He build great stuff and kits. Took me two beer to install on the GS.  Neat thing on the GS is that the light controls are integrated into the BMW stock controls, very cool!. great service to by the way. Cant say enough good about these lights.

Several of my GS riding friends have these lights and they take a beating and continue on working.  Housing gets dented when you drop the bike in the rocks but that's it.

Exactly, we have them on our R1200RT. The owner is a friend of ours

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »

This picture is the Ericas set for 10% with running lights. 100% burn your retina

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »

"can be wired to the horn circuit so the lights flash with horn activation"

Now THAT is a really good idea.

2010FLHTCUSE5

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »

Or you can set them to strobe with the horn. (That is how I set mine up)

"can be wired to the horn circuit so the lights flash with horn activation"

Now THAT is a really good idea.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 12:40:13 PM »

If you want good lights check out Clearwaters Erica lights. 6,000 Lumens per light.

I have a set on my 1200GS, cant get better lights.

Wow!  Those really turn night into day!!!  :2vrolijk_21:
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.