Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metallic Rattle  (Read 2920 times)

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Metallic Rattle
« on: August 20, 2004, 04:05:46 PM »

Has anyone experienced a metallic rattle in the engine area?  

This is an intermittent noise that sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattle (righthand side as best I can determine).  I've noticed the rattle start after sitting at a stop light with the motor idling after 15-20 seconds.  It seems to resonate with the engine RPM and continues even after I start to roll away.  Once the engine is under a little load, the noise stops.  At the next light, it is gone until I idle for a few seconds again (sometimes- other times the noise goes away for weeks).  Not a hugh issue, but is driving me crazy.   [smiley=furious.gif]

I've tighted everything I could think of.  Even went as far as removing the heat shields and checking all the spot welds on the back side.  Not the shift linkage either. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Talked to the dealer.  Because it is intermittent, they don't want to look at it.  Drive'r til she blows!!!!!!!!!!!  Any ideas?
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Glave

• Full CVO Member
  • There is no substition for Cubic Inches!
Re: Metallic Rattle
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 04:44:30 PM »

Has anyone experienced a metallic rattle in the engine area?
'02 FLHRSEI,  Thunder Header,K&N Highflow  Air, Power Commander III

Road_Hog

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 08:26:25 PM »

Most likely not the same problem but you never know  [smiley=nixweiss.gif].  I noticed when I forget to lock my right saddlebag I get some rattling at the hinge/ lock area...mostly when going slow or stopped.  When I lock it, the rattling goes away.  No problem with the left side unlocked.....

SERK103

• Full CVO Member
  • ride it like you stole it !!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 09:24:10 AM »

i've also heard the rattle on mine.  i thought it was from my heat shieds as well.  it is most apparant when i start the bike in the morning for 1-2 minutes then goes away.  crazy huh??
stock for now

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 08:59:11 PM »

The rattles I found on mine wre due two acouple of loose torx bolts behind the plastic side shields . The bolts help secure the fender to the frame, both sides were loose these bolts are huge and you can't miss them. I also found the gold painted spacers between the saddlebags and frame making metal to metal contact with the saddlebag fastener clips.I stuck some foam tape under the top and bottom. Lastly I had a buzz from the rear which was solved by double sided foam tape sandwiched in between the license plate and the license plate bracket. If anyone changes to the 05 headlight and gets a whistle starting at 30 mph or so stuff some foam tape on upper half of the chromr headlight extension and it goes away.

jerry

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 11:44:14 AM »

I had the same issue with a rattle from the painted saddlebag filler strips making contact with the saddlebag lid clips.  I fixed it by moving the rear saddlebag fastener up slightly so there was clearance.  
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Firehog

• Ride to work every day!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 01:34:40 AM »

Had the same problem. Metallic rattle, appeared to be coming from the rear of the bike. Turns out, was the right saddle bag filler strip rubbing on the saddlebag. My dealer fixed it for free! Ever since no rattles.

Glave

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 09:35:40 AM »

May have diagnosed the rattle on my bike last night finaly.  There are chrome accent pieces on top of the chrome quick detach support bar.  My right one rattles and is loose.  Will tighten it this evening and report back after the weekend.  Weather for an evening ride here in NE KS is supposed to take a dump [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Glave

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 12:37:08 PM »

OK here was the scoop over the weekend.  Had 2 areas contributing to the extra noise.  One was the area mentioned previously.  Chrome highlight bar on right side below seat and above detachable hardware docking attachments.  Tightned but did not completely get ride of the rattle.

Second area was left side saddle bag fill strip.  The top tab was actually vibrating on the mettal mount area.  Using an dull pry tool and towel re bent tab to original position and vibration is now gone.

Just an FYI [smiley=bigok.gif]

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 01:39:32 AM »

TB,

I heard a rattle, started coming home from Sturgis East of Ten Sleep in Wyoming, lots of twisties, gearing down aggresviley etc. first thought it was the fender rattling on its mount, was not it. Stopped all the way throught Montan to Calgary. Monday night was out riding aggresively again, started up again, this time a lot louder, and would not stop.

Thought it might be piston slap, shot cam bearing, blown tesioner, none of the  before mentioned.

It is the Rotor, the Compesator was hand  tight not the 160 lb ft it was supposed to be. Apprx. 3 months ago, stator crapped out,  dealer installed new one, I am guessing the compensator was not torqued properly.

Need new Rotor, CDN $475.00, plus labor. Taking receipt and damaged Rotor to original dealer, and asking/requesting politely reimbursement. Depends on their actions, it may turn into demanding and a letter to HARELY-dAVIDSON.

So hopefully for the rest of you, it coud be minor.

Just venting,

geezerglide  [smiley=cry2.gif]

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 22 queries.