Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Are we all old "Old Folks"???  (Read 14053 times)

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
Are we all old "Old Folks"???
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:47:47 PM »

Reading the retirement thread i realized I am not in the minority here when it comes to senior citizen status. Hanging at the local Harley dealership I have made jokes about being the youngster at 54. I then noticed that the Daytona Bike week was dominated by the "older crowd". What gives? I am thinking it might have to do with being able to afford a 20K plus toy. I will freely admit that in my thirties a 25K bike and the time to ride it were not likely to happen. Mostly due to work.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Are we all old "Old Folks"???
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:11:57 PM »

I agree with what you said.  Although I got my first HD when I was 18 (got a good price b/c the engine needed a complete rebuild), there were many years when I was raising 4 kids that I couldn't justify spending that much on something I couldn't spend time on, so I made do with some metric bikes (all of them great fun, but not the real thing).

I think that cost is a big reason HD came out with the Street 500 and 750, to try to bring younger people on a tight budget into the fold so they'll buy a full-size model later.  Otherwise, HD's customer base is just going to die off and HD sales will go through the floor.  That's also the reason for a factory trike, to keep more seniors riding and of course buying parts, service, and accessories.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 11:35:24 PM »

So true DoubleCoppers.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:13:36 AM »

I'm only 40. I bought my CVO in 2012 right after my 38th. I had a 09 FLHX that I bought new in 09 prior to that. My wife and I have 3 kids, 2 are still in high school and the other is living in her own but we are helping her get her feet planted.

I still manage to get 9-11k a riding season and that's usually from May to October here.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Bromebe

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2001 CVO FXDWG2 Switchblade
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:04:32 AM »

I'm 63 got my first CVO @ 62 which was my first bike since 1969
Got my second real CVO this year
been looking at the articles regarding our choices to start receiving SS which is putting the hole age thing into perspective.
still feel like 59 thou!
2013 CVO Screaning Eagle Road King - Big Blue
2001 CVO  Switchblade - Flash (sold)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 09:14:07 AM »

I've been retired for 5 years now, so I'm 67. I used to think that was old, but I realize that is not true. As this month ends I'm getting ready to start my riding season, I should call it my traveling season. Next week Ribfest and then off to Ouray and on to CA. Traveling I-10 to get back home.
I don't know too many youngsters that can make that kind of trip, for whatever reason..
So I guess you're only as old as you feel.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »

I’m definitely in the senior citizen category, turning 62 today as a matter of fact, although I’m not feeling particularly old. I couldn’t have purchased a CVO when I was younger due to cost when raising a family, but I’ve had bikes for many years. When I got married in the mid-seventies my spouse didn’t think riding was a good idea, so I sold what I had at the time, a 750 Norton Commando. Later, still having the desire to ride, I started looking for another bike – ended up without a wife before it was done and still think I got the best of the deal, even with the significant loss of assets. When I purchased my CVO the plan was for this to be my last new motorcycle purchase – I’d mod it and ride until I decided to give it up for good. I don’t know if I’ll stick with that plan in the end result. It seems to me that older riders were always fairly prominent at events I attended over the years. I figured they had more time/income than younger people with families to support.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:37:39 AM »

Well  :2vrolijk_06: Kiro.  Personally, I like the more mature crowd. Less BS is always a good thing. ;D

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »

Lord willing, I'll hit 54 this year....just a whipper snapper compared to some, older than dirt compared to others.  Mike making the trek across this great country at 67 shows it's not the age that gets us, it's the idea of the age that can effect us.  If you don't ever think about it and stay in halfway decent shape, 90 won't be old to you... :2vrolijk_21:

I've had some kind of two wheeled transportation most of my adult life.  There are some brief stints where I "took a break" but riding has always been in the blood.  Bought my first HD ('89 Classic) when I turned 31 (used but still pricey at the time) but it was no where near my first bike and, obviously, not my last one.  I do think age/income has something to do with having a $20K to $40K or more extra vehicle sitting in the garage but there are exceptions to every rule.  Still, you don't see many younger individuals on the CVO's (Jesse and a few others being the exceptions... ;D )
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:26:59 PM by Haird »

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »

I wanna be an exception too. hahaha, I just turned 40 last week hahaha. got my CVO at 35 and my RKC (1st HD) at 27. I think its mostly the passion for riding. most ppl just get into it as a fad or to go to bike nights and look cool which is one reason for what the younger riders are doing(at least most that I know). Most just zip across town and hang out. I also think that HD has waited to long to try and attract a younger rider on a limited income. HD really missed to boat with the "Street" It should be priced lower (by atleast a third) instead of being so close to a Sportster MSRP.  Most cant afford spending 20K or more on a bar hopper/weekend toy that will get sold in a yr or two. At 28 I was serious about riding, 15k a year between work and trips and I was busting my a$$ to get my first HD a beautiful 03 RKC in gunmetal pearl, heck it was the first new thing to ever sit in the driveway.(funny the only new things to sit in my driveway are motorcycles to this day). I still kept my 01 Shadow for a year after the RK came home. I think that the spirit of the riding the open road is aging herself and we as the "Older Riders, pavement pounders, mile eaters, crazy ol farts" need to inspire the younger riders to get unpluged and get some miles under them and see the beauty of this country before we are surrounded by bar hoppers and t-shirt wearer asking us "old guys" to tell stories of riding coast to coast, or doing 800 miles just to get a cheese burger because we heard they had the best cheese burgers and milk shakes or the time we left the house in the rain on the bike to get lunch an hour away just because we hadn't been riding in a week and we had the time then. hahahaha
Or maybe I am just a Crazy ol fart in a younger body hahaha
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »

64.....or is it 65?  Who ever is supposed to be keepin track will let me know.   Actually, I'm 22 yrs. old trapped in an old man's body!  :bananarock:

Been riding CVOs since late 2003.  The 04 SEEG was my first, then a 10 SESG and now a 13 SEUC.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 01:25:47 PM »

I bought my first Harley in 1975. It was an Iron Head Sportster. Since then I have had Flat Heads, Pan Heads, Shovel Heads, Evo's and Twin Cams. I have had over 35 bikes and have had as many as 9 CVO's in the shop at one time. Since I bought my first CVO in 2002 I have had non CVO models, but have always owned at least 1 CVO. I'm not sure why. I guess you don't go out on the road and see them everywhere except a CVO GTG!!! I'm sure the reason we don't see the younger crowd on a CVO is the cost factor. BTW I am 61 and Retired and loving life!!!!

Even though we have the problems we have with our Harley's I don't know anything else. It's kinda like a badddd habit. But I like that badddd habit!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:29:39 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Bromebe

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2001 CVO FXDWG2 Switchblade
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »

22! daammn!

I'm still working on the comfort thing, change a little of this add a little of that
and maybe I will get 6 or 7 thousand miles in a year once I get that right fit

next month I will have been back on a bike since 1975" for a year
and I think maybe I've logged about  1500 miles between the 2 CVO's
Damn Job! always keeping me from doing more!

now where is that damn winning lottery ticket I had!  :P
2013 CVO Screaning Eagle Road King - Big Blue
2001 CVO  Switchblade - Flash (sold)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »

I've been retired for 5 years now, so I'm 67. I used to think that was old, but I realize that is not true. As this month ends I'm getting ready to start my riding season, I should call it my traveling season. Next week Ribfest and then off to Ouray and on to CA. Traveling I-10 to get back home.
I don't know too many youngsters that can make that kind of trip, for whatever reason..
So I guess you're only as old as you feel.
Mike

You, sir, are a blessed man. Safe travels. This is exactly my goal. Stay healthy and retire followed by traveling the world on my bike  :2vrolijk_21:

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

mark

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »

It's a matter of demographics.  The baby boomers, that starting buying Harleys in the late 80s/early 90s, are aging away and there are not enough to Generation Xers to replace us. 

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 08:28:41 PM »

this section is not for me! I think! now lets see! what were we talking about. :nixweiss:

Tractor Bubba

• Full CVO Member
  • Life's Short - Eat your dessert first!
    • GA

• CVO1: '19 FLHTK Ultra Limited - Silver Flux/Black Fuse
    • CVO2: '14 FLHRSE Road King - Tribal Orange/Galactic Black
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 08:50:56 PM »

Gonna turn 56 this weekend...been riding since about 12, I suppose. I had a number of Yamaha scoots in my younger years - starting with a 100cc '68.  Took a few years off while raising the boys.  On my 3rd Harley now, but my 1st CVO. Never had anything but singles & twins, tho. I, like many I think, went over to the Motor Company when "the bug bit me again" in my mid 40's (43)...and I could more comfortably afford the Brand as well as the mandatory "Harley Tax" that goes with these bikes that carry the Bar & Shield.  I was drawn by:  the Mystique, the Legend, the History, the Look, the Aura...maybe the Hype. But, whatever the B.S. - I've truly loved the bike(s) and all the people I've met because of them.
Ride safe! Tractor Bubba
2019 FLFRTK
2014 FLHRSE6

Bobgratton1969

• Vive l'acadie!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 01:32:42 PM »

Well I am fairly old, I think hehehe. I mean I will be 46 in two weeks and I got my firt Harley at 43. It wasn't by choice. Two beautiful boys from two different chicks who loved the child pension money a lot, made it hard for me to buy my baby before that. But man do I ever enjoy it now!  :pineapple:

Stéphane

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 03:08:07 PM »

Well I turned 56 in April. I have had 5 new Harley's, the most recent one is my 2012 CVO in the Avatar. My first one I got brand new when I was 9 years old...yes my father bought it for me, it was a HD65 trail bike, yellow and I had tears in my eyes when I climbed on her, every since then I have had two wheels most of the time, when I was younger and raising kids I rode the Jap bikes, KZ750 and so on, my first new Harley that I bought on my own was a 95 wide glide and I bought it overseas in Germany, I actually went to the German Harley Dealer to pick it up, put 40,000 miles on that EVO overseas...That was an experience, talk about good roads! And them Germans can throw a Rally.

I personally think nowadays the younger people have more of an opportunity then we did but priorities still seem to get in the way especially with young kids and a family....Me, well I have six years till retirement for good, I already retired from the US Army 15 years ago and will be dropping my papers in for my DOD retirement in 2021 after that its ride all over the country and take my time, still have about 12 states I need to see and still trying to do that now.

In the time being its exercise and try to eat as healthy as I can, your only as old as you feel and believe it or not as I am sure some of us know, it benefits you to stay in shape to ride, especially if its hard!

Be safe, Bob

Ride2cusa

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »

My god - I'm the oldest so far at 71.  Now I really do feel old!

Been riding since high school (a long time ago).

Got my first Harley (low rider) in 1989; had a number since then.  Bought a 2013 Electra Glide CVO right after my 2013 Electa Glide Limited got totaled when I was hit from behind by a guy in a car not paying attention.  Four broken ribs and a broken wing patch for my vest and I'm riding again.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »

Yes it does have a lot to do with your position in life. $'s, family, work, wife, health, ect. But I think for most on this forumn it's about the wind in our faces on a bike we love to ride.  :nixweiss:

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 10:14:33 PM »

My god - I'm the oldest so far at 71.  Now I really do feel old!

Been riding since high school (a long time ago).

Got my first Harley (low rider) in 1989; had a number since then.  Bought a 2013 Electra Glide CVO right after my 2013 Electa Glide Limited got totaled when I was hit from behind by a guy in a car not paying attention.  Four broken ribs and a broken wing patch for my vest and I'm riding again.

71 congrats......that's good I ride with a guy that's 74 and he rides a chopper, an Texas Iron horse...you know one of those companies who go out of business after a couple years. he rides fast also and rides to Sturgis on the bike, rode with him several times to Sturgis and once to key West FL.

You keep it up Ride2. I also got my broken wings...2010 pick-up truck pulled out in front of me 2 miles from my damn house, he had a trailer and was turning in a blind S curve, I had no were to go on the 2005 Ultra Classic, brought the bike around me an pushed myself off, was wearing a vest and a HD T-shirt a few seconds and yrds later I had road rash, twisted angle and broken wrist....not the throttle one...LOL now I have a metal plate in my wrist...that hurt!....was $600.00 short of totaling it.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 01:31:45 AM »

Well, It's official. I'm not cool any more...LOL. Earlier this evening I was riding around town on my bike, listening to some Lynyrd Skynyrd :bananarock:   ;D, At a red light two 18-23? year old kids say this to me. "Hey Old Dude...really cool motor cycle, but your music sux"... I almost fell off my bike laughing.

I remember when I thought 54 was old. HECK!!! I am just now getting warmed up. If I am not in front of a mirror, I forget I am not 24...hahaha.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 05:16:29 AM »

I'm only 49 but after working a 68 day shutdown at syncrude ....I
Feel way older! But, now I plan to do take the rest of the summer off to
Ride and golf
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 07:17:38 AM »

Turned 68 this year. 1st Harley was a '65 chopped pan basket case I traded a 49 Chevy for(why did I let it go). Wanted to go faster, bought a KZ900 in '72. HD from then on, last 3 CVO's. '13 SERK most likely my last purchase.

And BTW, 03Lightningrocks........there are 2 truths in this world......HD & Lynyrd Skynyrd
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:27:24 AM by 2k »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 09:50:06 AM »

I play a little classical guitar and at my office one a a young boy asked me to play some old stuff. I gave him a tune from Luys de Narvaez circa 1700's. He starred blankly at me as I asked how old of music was he wanting? He said with all seriousness, "something from the 90's.  :D This all happened about ten years ago so he thought 15 year old music was thee old stuff.

We are way old guys and that includes you dudes in your forties.Not you Jesse. ;)

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 12:59:34 PM »

My heart exactly 2K. I wonder what the youngsters think when I am singing along with my "old dude music"? Maybe I need to switch to a full face helmet... :nixweiss:.

Even now Dr.D, my first thought was 90's? That was not so long ago.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »

Only 47 hehe!  But I'm extremely high mileage.  Heart attack at 35 caused me to rethink and readjust some things but some of the damage is done.  But I've always said growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.  And I sure ain't growing up anytime soon.  :coolblue:

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »

and... growing old beats the heck out of the alternative. 8)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 09:39:07 AM »

I'll be 66 in October.  I've been riding since my dad taught me how to braze when I was 13.  He helped me make my first mini bike and the rest as they say is history...

I'm still in good shape for the condition I'm in.  I was pushing 290# over a year ago and was told by my doctor that I was type 2 diabetic.  She didn't have me checking blood or anything like that because my A1C was not that high, 7.5.  But suggested exercise and a healthier diet.  I blew that off and the next 90 day blood work was still the same, go figure.  I did that two more times until she laid down the law to me and I took her more seriously.

Over the next 6 months I lost over 50# and my A1C came down to 6.4 which is pre-diabetic.  All my wife and I did was to cut down on things and we've cut out a LOT of carbs.  We do very little pasta, no bread to speak of and not spuds.  We still do pizza, but instead of maybe once a week we do it once a month.  So we've also added lots of salads to our evening meals too.  My wife lost 40# by default.  She cheats more than I do.  :)

I've still not started to exercise any other than normal riding the Harley, working a bit in the garage and mowing the yard.  I bought a Bowflex Ultimate Gym about 4 years ago of Craigslist for $100 and not used it yet.  I keep saying I NEED to get off my fat butt and start, but never do.

So my plan is to work until 70 and then retire.  My wife is still cleaning houses and is always complaining about aches and pains, but still does it.  Her work schedule is very loose and that's what she likes about it.

Right now I'm looking at a two week work schedule in Henderson NV.  I'll be working at one of our customer's plant supporting our equipment while they do their thing with their blow molder.  I'll stay the weekend and fly the wife out for about 4 days and we'll have the weekend in Vegas.  The last time I was there for a week I went to Counts Kustoms and did his museum little tour.  It was okay, but nothing to write home about.

So anyway, 70 and out.  That should give me some more riding time.

Just a question for the retired guys here; do you work part time to keep busy and have a little extra income?  I see myself taking about the first 3 months off, I'll be retiring the end of 2019, so that Jan, Feb, and Mar will probably be in a warmer climate and then I'll be thinking about getting a part time job for play money and to keep active.  I could consult back to my company, but I don't want to keep doing this, it sucks the big one, so why consult????????

Sorry for rambling guys.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 10:12:56 AM »

Congrats.  That's the hardest thing in the world.

I had a drug problem in my teens.  I cleaned up on my own (30+ years).  I smoked for 25 years (From 9 years old).  I Quit on my own (11 years now).  I weighed 350+.  I tried and failed a thousand times to lose weight.  I finally did bariatric surgery.  I lost 150.  Put 50 back.  Now I'm stable at 250 for 5 years.  It's still a struggle just to stay only that fat.

When you quit drugs or alcohol or tobacco you quit.  You don't partake in it at all.

When you fight a food addiction you still have to eat.  Every day.  As a major part of your life.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »

I retired 5 1/2 years ago and am too damn busy to hold down a part time job!
I did start a diet this winter and even after Memorial Day weekend in Virginia and 6 days on the road and Ribfest, I have still lost over 30 lbs. I would like to loose another 30 by Maggie Valley. Dan, I too follow the low carb diet. I recommend it to people that love to eat
but starve on other diets. I never go hungry because I can eat all the protein and fried pork skins I want.
My A1C is down from 6.7 a year ago to 5.6 last month's visit. I do take a pill for that, but the diet helps more.
My doctor says I am the healthiest old fat man he has ever seen.
Mike

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2015, 11:27:10 AM »

That's just cause you an A-Hole Unc!  A-Holes always are always healthy.  That's why so many people grumble "that A-Hole is going to live forever."  :2vrolijk_21:

Seriously, that's a good A1C!

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »

That's just cause you an A-Hole Unc!  A-Holes always are always healthy.  That's why so many people grumble "that A-Hole is going to live forever."  :2vrolijk_21:

Seriously, that's a good A1C!

:2vrolijk_21:
Mike

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 02:17:24 PM »

Note to self!
Store this away for future use!
Thanks JC!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »

No problem Chip.  I've been hearing it for so long that I don't think I can take credit for it though.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 08:29:10 PM »

That bariatric surgery option scares me. i am too darned chicken for that option. I have lost somewhere around 500 pounds in my lifetime...LOL. 20-30 pounds at a time. Up we go...down we go...it never stops!

I am fortunate enough to be the majority owner in our family business. My daughter and SIL run it. My paycheck just magically shows up in my account every Friday. Funny thing is, theyy would rather I stay away from the office... wonder what is really going on there?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »

Well, I sure am not, I'm a very young 52.  Got my first CVO seven years ago. 

Mikeytee, nice job on the A1C.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 09:34:28 PM »

Well, I sure am not, I'm a very young 52.  Got my first CVO seven years ago. 

Mikeytee, nice job on the A1C.

Thanks Dave.
Mike

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 09:50:24 PM »

I retired 5 1/2 years ago and am too damn busy to hold down a part time job!
I did start a diet this winter and even after Memorial Day weekend in Virginia and 6 days on the road and Ribfest, I have still lost over 30 lbs. I would like to loose another 30 by Maggie Valley. Dan, I too follow the low carb diet. I recommend it to people that love to eat
but starve on other diets. I never go hungry because I can eat all the protein and fried pork skins I want.
My A1C is down from 6.7 a year ago to 5.6 last month's visit. I do take a pill for that, but the diet helps more.
My doctor says I am the healthiest old fat man he has ever seen.
Mike

Mike,

That's really great.  I had hoped that my A1C would have gone down more after losing 50#, but at least it dropped over a point.  I've been lucky in that I don't take any medications for the diabetes and have never pricked my finger.  A couple weeks ago a vendor brought in some chocolate covered long johns and I had one in the morning and one in the afternoon.  I would guess that a true diabetic would have had some type of sugar crash or spike from that, but it does not effect me in the slightest.  So I was really taken a back when my doc told me.

I've always been hypoglycemic from as young as I can remember.  You don't have to be diabetic to be hypoglycemic.  I can go all day without eating if I'm busy and nothing happens to me, but if I eat a bagel in the morning and nothing later, I start to get the shakes about 2:00 in the afternoon from a low blood sugar crash.  As long as I can remember I've been this way. 

I haven't stopped eating carbs, but have just cut way down and eat in moderation now.

I would like to think that I'm not on a diet, but a new life style of eating.  As I said before, we eat LOTS of salads and just a veggie with a "meat" product of some type for dinner.  I have a fruit cup in the morning and afternoon and for lunch I have a can of Progresso Light soup.  I get full and that's enough.  But man, if I'm at a long weekend with friends, I can gain about 8 to 10 pound over three or four days.  It usually takes me a week to get back down.

I tipped the work loading dock scales a year ago last Christmas at just over 290#.  Right now I fluctuate between 235 and 240#.  I went from a 40/42" pant down to a comfortable 36".  My goal was 50# and a 36" pant.  When I graduated HS I was 210#, 5'-13" and wore a comfortable 32" pant.  Boy those were the days....

J, I'm really happy for you and your weight loss.  I is a struggle everyday and you do have to eat to stay alive.  I quit drinking Diet Coke cold turkey when I started my new life style.  I was drinking about 4 to 5 cans a day.  My resting heart rate was in the high 80's when I started and now after a year my resting heart rate is in the mid to low 50's.  I just took it and it was 52 sitting here at the computer.  One thing that has crept up on me has been my blood pressure and my cholesterol.  I used to be in the 117 range over the low 70's.  Now I'm low 140's over mid 80's.  The doc wanted to put me on blood pressure medication, but I wouldn't let her.  She did put me on Pravastatin for my cholesterol though.  Just the weight loss got my cholesterol down a lot, but with diabetes blood pressure and cholesterol affects you differently than a non-diabetic.  So even lower numbers are recommended.

Enough about this crap...  I'm just glad that we're all here and able to shoot the bull like this.  We're all young in spirit. 
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »

I'll be 66 in October.  I've been riding since my dad taught me how to braze when I was 13.  He helped me make my first mini bike and the rest as they say is history...

I'm still in good shape for the condition I'm in.  I was pushing 290# over a year ago and was told by my doctor that I was type 2 diabetic.  She didn't have me checking blood or anything like that because my A1C was not that high, 7.5.  But suggested exercise and a healthier diet.  I blew that off and the next 90 day blood work was still the same, go figure.  I did that two more times until she laid down the law to me and I took her more seriously.

Over the next 6 months I lost over 50# and my A1C came down to 6.4 which is pre-diabetic.  All my wife and I did was to cut down on things and we've cut out a LOT of carbs.  We do very little pasta, no bread to speak of and not spuds.  We still do pizza, but instead of maybe once a week we do it once a month.  So we've also added lots of salads to our evening meals too.  My wife lost 40# by default.  She cheats more than I do.  :)

I've still not started to exercise any other than normal riding the Harley, working a bit in the garage and mowing the yard.  I bought a Bowflex Ultimate Gym about 4 years ago of Craigslist for $100 and not used it yet.  I keep saying I NEED to get off my fat butt and start, but never do.

So my plan is to work until 70 and then retire.  My wife is still cleaning houses and is always complaining about aches and pains, but still does it.  Her work schedule is very loose and that's what she likes about it.

Right now I'm looking at a two week work schedule in Henderson NV.  I'll be working at one of our customer's plant supporting our equipment while they do their thing with their blow molder.  I'll stay the weekend and fly the wife out for about 4 days and we'll have the weekend in Vegas.  The last time I was there for a week I went to Counts Kustoms and did his museum little tour.  It was okay, but nothing to write home about.

So anyway, 70 and out.  That should give me some more riding time.

Just a question for the retired guys here; do you work part time to keep busy and have a little extra income?  I see myself taking about the first 3 months off, I'll be retiring the end of 2019, so that Jan, Feb, and Mar will probably be in a warmer climate and then I'll be thinking about getting a part time job for play money and to keep active.  I could consult back to my company, but I don't want to keep doing this, it sucks the big one, so why consult????????

Sorry for rambling guys.

I went through the same stuff as you with the A1C last summer, Mine was 7.1 and the doctor told me he was going to start me on medication and wouldn't renew my prescription for high blood pressure for a full year unless he put me on the A1c meds....he gave me a choice, eat healthy and cut down on the carbs and he would check my blood in 90 days, my choice so I went on a carb diet and lost 25 lbs and that don't sound like a lot but I am short...5'6 and I weighed 194 and had a beer gut from hell, smoked and was a drunk, I stayed on the carb diet and my A1C dropped.

In Sept I quit drinking and it dropped again....the doctor was happy and I was happier. In November I started going to the gym 3 times a week,  I quit smoking after 42 years in December, I didn't look back after that, I increased my work-out and now my A1C is 5.4 and that was in March. I have all the energy in the world and I want to ride like crazy long rides, the doctor lowered my dose on my high blood pressure meds and I might end off that totally this year.

Its been a hard fight for me but I feel great and don't even want to smoke or drink anymore, I weigh 176 now and no beer gut and gaining muscle instead of fat. with all that said I don't eat junk food anymore.

IMO its all worth it!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 11:51:24 PM »

In dec 2011 my AC1 was over 14 and I was 372 LBS. I have been going to the same DR for over 20 ears and we have become friends. He called me at the beginning of jan 2012 and asked me if I had a fax machine at work. I said of course but why? He told me that he was sending me a list of other DR's because since we were friends, if I dropped dead he would go to my funeral and everyone would hate him because he was also my DR and let me get so bad. I asked him to give me 3o days to try and do something about it. He asked me what was different after 52 years (been fat my whole life) and I said maybe nothing but I think Im ready. On Jan 15th I took my normal 32 pills and 2 injections (diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol etc..) but I also started my first day of Medifast. By Xmas of that year I lost 162 LBS and my AC1 was 5.4 and best of all, zero medication. My waist went from a 60 to a 34 and ohh, by the way I went from my obsession being food to being motorcycles!
Still at the same weight today (before 2012 the last time I weighed 210 LBS I was in elementary school) and still obsessed with motorcycles specifically CVO motorcycles...
Fight the good fight every day and hope to God I never slide back to my old habits! Everytime I see a public figure that lost major weight and gained it back it scares the sh-- out of me and I will never be cocky about it not happening to me. Really not sure I could have done it without being able to fix my obsessive personality to motorcycles and being able to go to this forum each night is definitely part of that obsession.
Alan

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2015, 01:56:59 AM »

Dan, I was 300+ pounds in February and this morning 270 pounds. I would like to get to 240 pounds by Maggie Valley in September. I should be able to reach that goal. Getting off of the soft drinks works wonders. The only time I drink Diet Cokes is with my Bourbon. The hard one was to give up Diet Mountain Dew. I drink Diet Green Tea now and usually drink 6 or 8 a day.

Streetglide 1, I too quit smoking 2 years ago. I was ready and  beat the craving in 2 weeks using the patch and never looked back. I did start eating more and gained the 50+ pounds. So now I diet. I know you fought the good fight and it's paying off. Keep up the good work.

SDCVO, you win! Fighting the good fight every day is hard but worth it. we fat and ex fat boys need to stick together. It is easier to diet when you have others dieting with you and cheering you on.

Mike

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2015, 09:20:40 AM »

That bariatric surgery option scares me. i am too darned chicken for that option. I have lost somewhere around 500 pounds in my lifetime...LOL. 20-30 pounds at a time. Up we go...down we go...it never stops!

I am fortunate enough to be the majority owner in our family business. My daughter and SIL run it. My paycheck just magically shows up in my account every Friday. Funny thing is, theyy would rather I stay away from the office... wonder what is really going on there?
It should scare you.  They told me I wouldn't live until my son graduated from high school after my heart attack.  That was 10 years away at the time.  I quit smoking within the month and went real healthy on my diet, but I was too far gone between the diabetes and the way quitting smoking affects your metabolism so I did the surgery.

I spent two years throwing up more meals than not.  I hated every meal I hate not knowing what was going to be the outcome.  I'd run out of rooms and people would be asking awkward questions.  It was a nightmare.  I discourage it for anyone who just thinks its an easy way to lose weight.  Bull.  Its the hardest thing I've ever done.

However, My son graduated 2 years ago.  He's a successful Coast Guardsman set out on life.  I may make another 50 years or I may die tomorrow, but I beat the odds, and was here for my son while he grew up.  So no regrets from me.  It was worth it.  Under those very specific circumstances.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »

I congratulate all of you guys for your hard work and determination...  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

I still drink an occasional Diet Coke if we're out to eat or at friends for the weekend.  But during the week and most weekends I drink water with Crystal Light powder mix.  I drink about 64 oz a day of the stuff now.  Man does that ever make a guy pee though...  :o  :o  :o

I think at our age we need to stop thinking of us being on a diet and think more as a life style change.  Because lets face it, if we make the effort to change how and what we eat, we need to stay on this the rest of our lives, not just a few months.

You don't have to be over weight or obese to be diabetic, but most are.  Like sleep apnea, there are skinny people with it, but more are over weight than skinny.  So use stocky guys need to become less stocky.

I feel lucky that my doc "worked" with me and finally got through my thick head that I needed to take my situation seriously.

I've read lately that the NEW thinking about older people and elevated blood pressure is that it should not be treated unless it's very high or there are other factors.  They're saying for older people that 140's over 80's is elevated, not high.  This is a grey area for me as I'm in the lower of that range and it's considerably higher than it used to be.  And as I said earlier, blood pressure and high cholesterol affect diabetics differently than non-diabetic people.  I feel that with my 6.4 A1C that I'm in the pre-diabetic range, but I'm still "diabetic" and I need to do more than a normal person.

I think you guys have been doing great with the drinking and smoking reductions etc.  Unfortunately (fortunately) I've never smoked or been a drinker, never tasted beer or whiskey.  I know that's pretty lame, but it never interested me.  So I don't have them to quite to jump start my excitement on my path to wellness.  I'm sure there are lots of triggers that temp you all to have just one smoke or that extra drink, but being tuff and determined is the key. 

I've been at my target now for over 6 months, but would like to get the blood pressure, cholesterol and A1C lower.  At this point it's got to be exercise.  I'm just not yet motivated enough to just go into the basement and get my Bowflex Ultimate gym setup and start doing high reps of rowing and other flexibility exercises and work up from there.  I get short of breath now very easy and I know it's from being a big fat couch potato.  As John Pinette says in his Say Na Na comedy routine, "the doctor told me to go to the gym and exercise.  Once you get used to it it will drive you even more to workout. I don't think so!  I have will power, I can quit this exercise stuff anytime I want."  I would highly recommend anyone into comedy to look John Pinette up on YouTube and watch the I say Na Na routine.  You will be rolling off the sofa, he's really funny.  A lot of his routine is about his weight and his journey to lose weight, so I really found it hilarious.

Again I digress and just rambling on and on and on and on, just slap me!!!

GREAT JOB GUYS!!!  :orange:  :orange:  :orange:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2015, 10:19:13 AM »

Congrats to all you guys/gals that have realized and taken care of getting/making yourself healthy. Many of you know a few years I went thru a total hip replacement and since then I have had some (serious) health issues that made me get serious about my weight and health. I've had bouts of being overweight, dieting, gaining it back (+), along with at times being on high blood pressure medicine. With the recent health concerns I experienced I decided that if I were to live to a ripe old age I needed to take charge of my health, loose weight and get as healthy as I could/can.

I now exercise 6 days (sometimes 7)/week. I do cardio everyday and weights along w/the cardio 3 days a week. My cardio consists of elliptical and recumbent bike... on the days I do all cardio I do one hour on the elliptical and thirty-five minutes on the bike.... days I do weights I do forty-five minutes on elliptical and thirty-five minutes on the bike. Once a week (on Saturday) I do one hour on the elliptical and one hour on the bike (burn 1,700+ calories). When I started this regime I found an app called "MyFitnesPal" (can be found in the play store [android], and app store [ipad]).. with this app you set up your profile (age, weight, goal weight, etc.) and daily you enter the exercises you do and food you eat. Doing this I found that the things I had been eating daily the calorie count was enough for several days for what I was eating in one day. What is really nice is the app has a bar code reader that you can scan in the foods you eat along with a search function (that has a large database) to find the nutritional info of that item. Another plus for this app is the more your exercise (calories burned) are added as additional calories you can intake that day (if you choose too).

With all that said I have lost 60+ lbs by exercising and being conscious of what and how much I eat daily. I'm feeling better than I have in years and by me getting my body in better condition the procedures and treatments I had w/my last health concern I was able to endure them w/little to none side effects/issues.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2015, 10:21:52 AM »

Damn SDCVO! I am proud as hell for you and I don't even know you :) Congrats and a job well done for you and everybody else.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »

Fired00d, sounds like you have control now...  That's great.

My knees used to hurt when I would go out on the road working.  My job a lot of times has me on my hands and knees to get from one side our machine to the other.  One plant I had to crawl under an 18" conduit about 24 times a day.  I started to hurt and then by a few days it was normal for me to do it.  The lost weight makes a BIG difference as to how the body handles different things.

Kudos all around!!!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »

With all that said I have lost 60+ lbs by exercising and being conscious of what and how much I eat daily. I'm feeling better than I have in years and by me getting my body in better condition the procedures and treatments I had w/my last health concern I was able to endure them w/little to none side effects/issues.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Does your thong still fit? 

All kidding aside, good job on the fitness!!!  Pretty impressive.
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »

I bet it DOES fit now, lol.  Anyway, great job and happy for you. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2015, 06:01:26 PM »

Jimmy I can "rock it" now. :bananarock:... and I don't have to send a search party to retrieve it when it is time to take it off. ;) :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: Thanks.
I bet it DOES fit now, lol.  Anyway, great job and happy for you.
Thanks... as was stated in a previous post it took a lifestyle change (dieting is like riding a roller coaster or being a yo yo)... I tell people now that I exercise to eat... I try to pay the calories forward and eat healthy with an occasional "splurge".

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2015, 11:33:19 PM »

It is easier to diet when you have others dieting with you and cheering you on.

Mike
[/quote]
No doubt about that! Misery loves company
Alan

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2015, 11:44:08 PM »

All this talk of getting healthy makes me think of this issue :

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 24 queries.