Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Back Surgery  (Read 7942 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: Back Surgery
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 09:02:07 AM »

Thanks guys, glad I rechecked my post. I am going to talk to my Chiropractor and GP regarding the Pain Doctor and shot routine. I have Anthem Blue Cross I doubt they will cover it, but I will try and coax them.( It took them 6 months to get me a refund, which I was promised for a shingles vaccine shot) Just so I am clear the Pain Clinic figures out exactly where the source of  pain is coming from then they inject a steroid and cortison shots? I would go for that since my back is starting to get worse. It was fine for about a year or so after my surgery, but I don't want to go thru that again. Thanks again for all the input and advice.CAHDBIKER

Me too!   :2vrolijk_21:

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »

Thanks guys, glad I rechecked my post. I am going to talk to my Chiropractor and GP regarding the Pain Doctor and shot routine. I have Anthem Blue Cross I doubt they will cover it, but I will try and coax them.( It took them 6 months to get me a refund, which I was promised for a shingles vaccine shot) Just so I am clear the Pain Clinic figures out exactly where the source of  pain is coming from then they inject a steroid and cortison shots? I would go for that since my back is starting to get worse. It was fine for about a year or so after my surgery, but I don't want to go thru that again. Thanks again for all the input and advice.CAHDBIKER

I don't know if all pain doctors work the same way, but that's how it worked for me...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 10:28:40 AM »

I don't know if all pain doctors work the same way, but that's how it worked for me...   :2vrolijk_21:
And for me.

I've got the medical term for what they did, at home.  If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll look for the paperwork tonight.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 10:45:26 AM »

Have you ever tried this? That jump/kick and "I'm over 72 and I feel greeeeat" makes me bust a gut every time! :huepfenlol2:

All joking aside I can't personally tell you if it really works or not, but anything is worth a try versus surgery. I'm fortunate that I don't have any pains or pill addictions, but I have a few buddies with back pain/troubles .... 2 of them addicted to pain meds and truck drivers such as myself, both scared of surgery ... The 3rd a bodyman his whole life, also scared of surgery but not addicted to pills and cringes just talking about needles. Long story short, he tried one of these and said it helped, not a cure-all, but did help. Avoid the pain meds if you can stand it, watching the 2 addicted to them is ugly to watch.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:53:54 AM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 10:53:33 AM »

Interesting.  After my pain doc did the injections he suggested that I get one of these inversion tables....."get a good one" but no brand recommended.  He did tell me that they're not going to help everybody but for those with degenerative disc disease, arthritis of the spine, etc. that the decompression by inversion could help.

I actually did a google search for inversion table reviews to find out which tables are highly recommended and which are not recommended....waste of money.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 11:01:33 AM »

Well JC, you know what they say about reviews and the internet. Just like every bike is different in a way, so is back pain/troubles. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that problem personally, but it did help one of my buddies that tried it. If it has a money-back guarantee, what could it hurt to try? You just never know unless you're beyond an inversion table.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 03:15:06 AM »

You might be surprised--the cortisone shots cost a few hundred dollars, vs tens of thousands for surgery; also, treatment is supposed to start with the simplest and cheapest procedures (most conservative, such as shots and physical therapy).  If those work, fine; if not, move on to more complex and risky procedures.  Back surgery is complex, risky, expensive, and works less than 50% of the time.

BTW:  Cortisone is a type of steroid (a cortico-steroid, which is different from body-building steroids).  Also:  depending on the location, cause of problem, and other factors, the doc may be able to use lidocaine (a numbing agent) before or during the injection of cortisone to make it more comfortable.  Ask 'em if they can.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »

Hi Everybody, thanks for all the help on this back issue of mine. I went to my Doctor and he has given me muscle relaxers (three times  a day) and a cortisone pill to take once a day. I could feel the difference with 24 hours. I would say about a 40-50% improvement. I am suppose to call him  in two weeks for a follow up. I think I will end up getting the shots eventually because yesterday  afternoon I was feeling almost perfect , then of course came the Thursday night billiards match with my friend and I stretched  a muscle dropping the six ball in the corner pocket so my back is a little tight on the left side and is just now seems to be loosening up again. Thanks again for all the help. It came in handy when talking to my Doctor. CAHDBIKER

You might be surprised--the cortisone shots cost a few hundred dollars, vs tens of thousands for surgery; also, treatment is supposed to start with the simplest and cheapest procedures (most conservative, such as shots and physical therapy).  If those work, fine; if not, move on to more complex and risky procedures.  Back surgery is complex, risky, expensive, and works less than 50% of the time.

BTW:  Cortisone is a type of steroid (a cortico-steroid, which is different from body-building steroids).  Also:  depending on the location, cause of problem, and other factors, the doc may be able to use lidocaine (a numbing agent) before or during the injection of cortisone to make it more comfortable.  Ask 'em if they can.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

mark

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 06:03:40 PM »

My only comment would be to go to a reputable pain mgmt clinic and not one of the pill mills that popped up in a strip shopping center.  Those are nothing but narcotics shops posing as medical offices. 

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 09:33:02 PM »

I have had back surgery twice, 87 for ruptured disc and 99 for total failure between L5 & 6. Both times I put it off until I was unable to walk and or urinate. Both times I was up and walking with hours of the surgery. Not sure why I waited so long either time. In 87 I went back to work 7 days later and did good, In 99 (twelve years older) I was off for 6 weeks. IMHO if I had to do it over I would have surgery again, only quicker. My life was crap for months before the surgery, I tried injections, inversion, therapy and pain med's. Surgery was the only thing that worked.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.