Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Are we all old "Old Folks"???  (Read 14080 times)

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
Re: Are we all old "Old Folks"???
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 08:28:41 PM »

this section is not for me! I think! now lets see! what were we talking about. :nixweiss:

Tractor Bubba

• Full CVO Member
  • Life's Short - Eat your dessert first!
    • GA

• CVO1: '19 FLHTK Ultra Limited - Silver Flux/Black Fuse
    • CVO2: '14 FLHRSE Road King - Tribal Orange/Galactic Black
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 08:50:56 PM »

Gonna turn 56 this weekend...been riding since about 12, I suppose. I had a number of Yamaha scoots in my younger years - starting with a 100cc '68.  Took a few years off while raising the boys.  On my 3rd Harley now, but my 1st CVO. Never had anything but singles & twins, tho. I, like many I think, went over to the Motor Company when "the bug bit me again" in my mid 40's (43)...and I could more comfortably afford the Brand as well as the mandatory "Harley Tax" that goes with these bikes that carry the Bar & Shield.  I was drawn by:  the Mystique, the Legend, the History, the Look, the Aura...maybe the Hype. But, whatever the B.S. - I've truly loved the bike(s) and all the people I've met because of them.
Ride safe! Tractor Bubba
2019 FLFRTK
2014 FLHRSE6

Bobgratton1969

• Vive l'acadie!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 01:32:42 PM »

Well I am fairly old, I think hehehe. I mean I will be 46 in two weeks and I got my firt Harley at 43. It wasn't by choice. Two beautiful boys from two different chicks who loved the child pension money a lot, made it hard for me to buy my baby before that. But man do I ever enjoy it now!  :pineapple:

Stéphane

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 03:08:07 PM »

Well I turned 56 in April. I have had 5 new Harley's, the most recent one is my 2012 CVO in the Avatar. My first one I got brand new when I was 9 years old...yes my father bought it for me, it was a HD65 trail bike, yellow and I had tears in my eyes when I climbed on her, every since then I have had two wheels most of the time, when I was younger and raising kids I rode the Jap bikes, KZ750 and so on, my first new Harley that I bought on my own was a 95 wide glide and I bought it overseas in Germany, I actually went to the German Harley Dealer to pick it up, put 40,000 miles on that EVO overseas...That was an experience, talk about good roads! And them Germans can throw a Rally.

I personally think nowadays the younger people have more of an opportunity then we did but priorities still seem to get in the way especially with young kids and a family....Me, well I have six years till retirement for good, I already retired from the US Army 15 years ago and will be dropping my papers in for my DOD retirement in 2021 after that its ride all over the country and take my time, still have about 12 states I need to see and still trying to do that now.

In the time being its exercise and try to eat as healthy as I can, your only as old as you feel and believe it or not as I am sure some of us know, it benefits you to stay in shape to ride, especially if its hard!

Be safe, Bob

Ride2cusa

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »

My god - I'm the oldest so far at 71.  Now I really do feel old!

Been riding since high school (a long time ago).

Got my first Harley (low rider) in 1989; had a number since then.  Bought a 2013 Electra Glide CVO right after my 2013 Electa Glide Limited got totaled when I was hit from behind by a guy in a car not paying attention.  Four broken ribs and a broken wing patch for my vest and I'm riding again.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »

Yes it does have a lot to do with your position in life. $'s, family, work, wife, health, ect. But I think for most on this forumn it's about the wind in our faces on a bike we love to ride.  :nixweiss:

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 10:14:33 PM »

My god - I'm the oldest so far at 71.  Now I really do feel old!

Been riding since high school (a long time ago).

Got my first Harley (low rider) in 1989; had a number since then.  Bought a 2013 Electra Glide CVO right after my 2013 Electa Glide Limited got totaled when I was hit from behind by a guy in a car not paying attention.  Four broken ribs and a broken wing patch for my vest and I'm riding again.

71 congrats......that's good I ride with a guy that's 74 and he rides a chopper, an Texas Iron horse...you know one of those companies who go out of business after a couple years. he rides fast also and rides to Sturgis on the bike, rode with him several times to Sturgis and once to key West FL.

You keep it up Ride2. I also got my broken wings...2010 pick-up truck pulled out in front of me 2 miles from my damn house, he had a trailer and was turning in a blind S curve, I had no were to go on the 2005 Ultra Classic, brought the bike around me an pushed myself off, was wearing a vest and a HD T-shirt a few seconds and yrds later I had road rash, twisted angle and broken wrist....not the throttle one...LOL now I have a metal plate in my wrist...that hurt!....was $600.00 short of totaling it.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 01:31:45 AM »

Well, It's official. I'm not cool any more...LOL. Earlier this evening I was riding around town on my bike, listening to some Lynyrd Skynyrd :bananarock:   ;D, At a red light two 18-23? year old kids say this to me. "Hey Old Dude...really cool motor cycle, but your music sux"... I almost fell off my bike laughing.

I remember when I thought 54 was old. HECK!!! I am just now getting warmed up. If I am not in front of a mirror, I forget I am not 24...hahaha.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 05:16:29 AM »

I'm only 49 but after working a 68 day shutdown at syncrude ....I
Feel way older! But, now I plan to do take the rest of the summer off to
Ride and golf
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 07:17:38 AM »

Turned 68 this year. 1st Harley was a '65 chopped pan basket case I traded a 49 Chevy for(why did I let it go). Wanted to go faster, bought a KZ900 in '72. HD from then on, last 3 CVO's. '13 SERK most likely my last purchase.

And BTW, 03Lightningrocks........there are 2 truths in this world......HD & Lynyrd Skynyrd
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:27:24 AM by 2k »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 09:50:06 AM »

I play a little classical guitar and at my office one a a young boy asked me to play some old stuff. I gave him a tune from Luys de Narvaez circa 1700's. He starred blankly at me as I asked how old of music was he wanting? He said with all seriousness, "something from the 90's.  :D This all happened about ten years ago so he thought 15 year old music was thee old stuff.

We are way old guys and that includes you dudes in your forties.Not you Jesse. ;)

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 12:59:34 PM »

My heart exactly 2K. I wonder what the youngsters think when I am singing along with my "old dude music"? Maybe I need to switch to a full face helmet... :nixweiss:.

Even now Dr.D, my first thought was 90's? That was not so long ago.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »

Only 47 hehe!  But I'm extremely high mileage.  Heart attack at 35 caused me to rethink and readjust some things but some of the damage is done.  But I've always said growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.  And I sure ain't growing up anytime soon.  :coolblue:

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »

and... growing old beats the heck out of the alternative. 8)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 09:39:07 AM »

I'll be 66 in October.  I've been riding since my dad taught me how to braze when I was 13.  He helped me make my first mini bike and the rest as they say is history...

I'm still in good shape for the condition I'm in.  I was pushing 290# over a year ago and was told by my doctor that I was type 2 diabetic.  She didn't have me checking blood or anything like that because my A1C was not that high, 7.5.  But suggested exercise and a healthier diet.  I blew that off and the next 90 day blood work was still the same, go figure.  I did that two more times until she laid down the law to me and I took her more seriously.

Over the next 6 months I lost over 50# and my A1C came down to 6.4 which is pre-diabetic.  All my wife and I did was to cut down on things and we've cut out a LOT of carbs.  We do very little pasta, no bread to speak of and not spuds.  We still do pizza, but instead of maybe once a week we do it once a month.  So we've also added lots of salads to our evening meals too.  My wife lost 40# by default.  She cheats more than I do.  :)

I've still not started to exercise any other than normal riding the Harley, working a bit in the garage and mowing the yard.  I bought a Bowflex Ultimate Gym about 4 years ago of Craigslist for $100 and not used it yet.  I keep saying I NEED to get off my fat butt and start, but never do.

So my plan is to work until 70 and then retire.  My wife is still cleaning houses and is always complaining about aches and pains, but still does it.  Her work schedule is very loose and that's what she likes about it.

Right now I'm looking at a two week work schedule in Henderson NV.  I'll be working at one of our customer's plant supporting our equipment while they do their thing with their blow molder.  I'll stay the weekend and fly the wife out for about 4 days and we'll have the weekend in Vegas.  The last time I was there for a week I went to Counts Kustoms and did his museum little tour.  It was okay, but nothing to write home about.

So anyway, 70 and out.  That should give me some more riding time.

Just a question for the retired guys here; do you work part time to keep busy and have a little extra income?  I see myself taking about the first 3 months off, I'll be retiring the end of 2019, so that Jan, Feb, and Mar will probably be in a warmer climate and then I'll be thinking about getting a part time job for play money and to keep active.  I could consult back to my company, but I don't want to keep doing this, it sucks the big one, so why consult????????

Sorry for rambling guys.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 24 queries.