Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting a little confused....  (Read 1873 times)

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
Getting a little confused....
« on: September 28, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »

I'm thinking about replacing my lifters and perhaps the compensator on my 2015 110 street glide and since on here and other forums I hear horror stories about them failing around 25k, well I'm at 25K. 
So in doing my research on what to buy and direction to I'm getting different stories from dealers shops and private mechanics.  My dealership tells me the lifters in mine are a heavy duty Scream'n Eagle but a couple of private shops tell me thats not so and another told me it is so.  Anybody no the truth or have advice on who's correct on this and has anyone replace the Compensator and why and did you use the Baker version or something other than Harley?   TX's Soapster

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: Getting a little confused....
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:53:14 PM »

I think you definitely want to do the lifters, I did mine at 18k and was still under warranty, but if they took out the motor, I didn’t want to be without the bike this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 05:54:57 PM »

SE or not swap those lifters out.  When they let go it isn't pretty.

Most guys do fine with the latest SE compensator, but that will make noise for awhile before failure.

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 06:00:50 PM »

The lifters in your bike are SE lifters and they may be better than the 99c lifters used in 110 engines prior to 2013 but they can and do still fail. Unfortunately my buddy and CVO Harley member wmustang experienced this at 26K miles while at the MV GTG earlier this month. My advice to you would be to change them out right away with S&S lifters and check or replace them every 20000 miles. When a lifter fails it can be catastrophic, taking out the entire engine so a piddly couple hundred bucks to save 6500 is cheap insurance.

The compensator in your bike is also another maintenance item but the failure of the comp is usually a slow process and unlike the lifters is not likely to cause a catastrophic failure. They will make noise, cause starter kick back, etc in a progression giving you plenty of warning along the way.
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 06:29:25 PM »

The lifters in your bike are SE lifters and they may be better than the 99c lifters used in 110 engines prior to 2013 but they can and do still fail. Unfortunately my buddy and CVO Harley member wmustang experienced this at 26K miles while at the MV GTG earlier this month. My advice to you would be to change them out right away with S&S lifters and check or replace them every 20000 miles. When a lifter fails it can be catastrophic, taking out the entire engine so a piddly couple hundred bucks to save 6500 is cheap insurance.

The compensator in your bike is also another maintenance item but the failure of the comp is usually a slow process and unlike the lifters is not likely to cause a catastrophic failure. They will make noise, cause starter kick back, etc in a progression giving you plenty of warning along the way.
Did he get the motor repaired yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »

The long block is still on its way I reckon. The adjuster approved a long block the Tuesday following MV and Asheville HD ordered it....
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 06:22:01 AM »

Changed my lifters at 18k  to S&S high performance didn't want to chance it .there has been a number of lifter failures

It's also a good thing to upgrade the cam inner bearings as it apart  to fully complimented bearings as the HD bearings are a known week link. The HD bearing has been known to break up being another possible  catasrophic engine failure
The pic you can see the difference between the HD bearing on the right and the fully complimented bearing on the left. They give full bearing load on the cam shaft end.

Your compensator this link explains it best

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 07:43:59 AM »

go with S&S lifters,cheap insurance (like said,do the inner bearings too)

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 08:48:34 AM »

Love this forum and thanks to all for the advice looks like lifters and inner bearings it'll be!

MCE

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 09:27:41 PM »

Love this forum and thanks to all for the advice looks like lifters and inner bearings it'll be!

You can get the bearings from any bearing supply house. I found a box of them on ebay a few
years ago. S&S lifters, or Johnson Hylift are really good.

Once you get that stuff replaced, you'll have piece of mind and reliable service for many miles.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.