Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hangliders on Mt. Julian  (Read 2521 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Hangliders on Mt. Julian
« on: May 02, 2016, 11:36:31 PM »

With Babe on the east coast for a few weeks...I had to stick around to keep an eye on the critters.  But Miguel and I did get out for a few hours yesterday.

We started out with a ride up to Ramona for breakfast at the Ramona Cafe.  Then we rode on up to Julian.  Julian is a little mountain town that's famous for their apple pie.   Besides being a big tourist hot spot, it's also a motorcycle rider's destination.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Hangliders on Mt. Julian
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:37:21 PM »

Somebody even rolled in, in a McLaren .  If you don't know what a McLaren is, take a look here.....   http://cars.mclaren.com/   McLarens can quickly  run in to the millions of $$$$

We rolled from Julian.  Heading south, we turned on to Sunrise Hwy. and headed towards Mt. Laguna.  Mt. Laguna is the highest elevation closest to San Diego, just north of I-8.  We stopped at one of those "View Point" for this shot.  I think it was about here when I said to Miguel "I have to start carrying my Nikon again".

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:38:31 PM »

We rolled on down Sunrise Hwy. and passed a little road that seemed to be a dead-end.  As we passed the hill and I looked over to see where the road went I saw a couple cars and trucks and three hangliders.  Uh-ohhhhh we've got to turn around for this.  I've always wanted to see this from their ground zero, as they launch.  We did....first hand and up close!

Nice guys, all three of them.  And they all three answered our obligatory 101 dumb questions (you know, for their sport.....like the 101 dumb questions we get asked at gas stations, etc.).  The older guy, John, was the instructor and the last to launch.  For Miguel and I both, our lead question is how do you learn to do that.  I mean it's not like you get a "do over".  You get an "oh chit" moment on one of those things it'll probably be your last one.  And they say we're crazy for riding motorcycles.......... :nixweiss:

John, the instructor on the left here.....instructing one of his students....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 11:39:08 PM »

Miguel is also educating me on selfies and "checking in" on FB.  Yep, I crossed over to the dark side a couple of weeks ago.  Only took Andy ten years to talk me in to this...... :huepfenlol2:

John demonstrating....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:40:11 PM »

GET ON YOUR MARK....

GET SET....

GO!!!!!

A huge updraft once they're off the mountain.  All three guys just kept climbing and climbing.  One of them to the point where he was so high it was actually hard to see him any longer.  But in this pic, top, dead center you'll see one of them just starting to climb.....

This pic he's in the clouds just above and to the right of the peak.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 11:41:01 PM »

Here's Miguel and our other new friends that hung out with us to watch these hang gliders launch.  Now to get my azz back down on the ground! :o

Even though it was only a few hours, we had a great ride and a great time and learned a few things about hangliding.  But I don't think I'm quite ready to try it myself.  By the way, for those thrill seekers.....they do have hangliding rides where they go tandem like parachuting.  Just google it for your area.

West Coast GTG   

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 04:09:47 AM »

JC,  At least there's no traffic up there trying to hit you.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

fredfoot

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 Street Glide CVO
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 04:51:22 AM »

Wow . what an awesome ride.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:24:37 AM »

Really nice image group JC - well done!  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 25 queries.