Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: A ride up The Devel......the original US 666  (Read 4578 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
A ride up The Devel......the original US 666
« on: April 18, 2020, 07:40:02 PM »

Don and I left the Tucson area early Thurs. morning and met at a gas station to go ride The Devil.  Got it's name because it is a hell of a motorcycle road with many 10, 15 and 20 mile per hour curves and a number of switchbacks as it climbs up over 9,000' elevation because it was originally US 666.  However, it's now US 191 from Morenci, Arizona to Alpine, Arizona. 

And this route goes right through one of the largest mines in Arizona.  Arizona is known for it's copper mines all over southern Arizona however, this one is also a gold mine.  The road travels through the middle of the mine with operations on both sides of the road right up to the fence so it's visable up close and personal.

Our first little break was at the Rex Allen Museum in Wilcox, Ariz.  It was closed but we just took a quick snack break.....

We rode further east on I-10 to US 191 north to the little town of Safford for a gas stop...

Gassed up, were headed to Three Way, Arizona.  Not much here.....a little store on the corner where we were able to grab a snack for lunch.  A couple of gas pumps across the road and a yard shed for the office.....we weren't even sure it was open until we saw the young lady come out of the shed.  But it's clear that we're headed to the mountains......

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:13:02 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: A ride up The Devel......the original US 666
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:40:41 PM »

Soon we pass through Clifton, Ariz. where you will definately want to top off your tank!   Then we ride north right through the MCI Copper & Gold mine....following this route US 191 north, as it winds through the mine I actually thought we must have missed a turn and were on a mine road, instead.  But we perservered.  We went through several tunnels in the mine area, totally surrounded by mine equipment and mine company trucks.....it felt surreal on our two Harleys as we continued on.

To show perspective of size......se the man that just walked out of the shed towards the four tires laying on the ground.....look close!

NOTE:   There are a couple of 1 ton Ford F-350 trucks in this photo, clustered together.

This close up photo of the same shot shows those two 1 ton pickup trucks...

We leave Morenci and the mine and head north on The Devil.  A lot of switch backs, 10, 15 and 20 mile an hour curves all the way up out of the open pit mine and up to the top of the mountain.  Even after we were out of the mine itself, these mountains have a lot of these curves and swithbacks.

We rode through Alpine to Springerville for gas before riding to our Best Western hotel in Eagar, Arizona for the night.  A supermarket next door and Trailriders Restaurant & Bar in the same parking lot.  It was interesting since it was take out only.  Had to call in our order and then walk next door to the bar door of the restaurant and wait our turn in the line of cars pulling up to the bar door.

Oh yes.....and another interesting tip if you're going to do a road trip like this during the coronavirus lockdown......take a roll of toilet paper with you.  Stores and fast food and other restaurants the restrooms are all locked up.  The pit toilets in the national forests and rest areas are open!  Take your own toilet paper if you have to sit down...because somebody stole it all!   :huepfenlol2:

The next morning we take Hwy 260 out of Eagar to Hwy 261 South.  I'm thinking this is about where we were up in the 9,000' range.....above the tree line......check the altimiter app on my cell phone at this location.  Yep 9,056'.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 07:41:34 PM »

At the intersection of Hwys 261 and 273 is Crescent Lake and now at 9,111' elevation. 

And just three miles away is Big Lake.....

Heading north on Hwy 273 back to 260 West.....riding through yet another heavy pine forest and mesquite....as we drop back down in elevation

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 07:42:04 PM »

Going south on Hwy 73 at Hon-Dah, we rode through the Apache Indian Reservations of Whiteriver and Fort Apache (the real one, not the Hollywood one!) and out Hwy 73 back out to US 60 West.  From this junction to the city of Globe, Arizona is an exciting motorcycle ride by itself!

NOTE:  See the hole in the rock on this curve?  My guess is that it was an old miner's shaft before this highway was first built back in the 50's (according to the dedication plaque that was at this stop).

Crossing the Salt River on Hwy. 60 above Glove, Ariz....

Our lunch stop before we head on back to Tucson.  This place was filled to capacity and had a drive through line all the way around.  The outside tables were also closed so we had to eat on our bikes!  This Sonic Drive-in is actually in Miami, Az. which is right next to Globe, Ariz.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 07:49:34 PM »

This ride was a little over 600 miles and two days in temps down as low as 38F and as high as 85F.  A great ride and great weather for it!

West Coast GTG   

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 11:21:13 PM »

JCZ

This road is also known as The Coronado Trail.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 01:14:08 AM »

Thanks for sharing your ride and awesome pictures!!!! I have never ridden anywhere out West on a bike, time to start planning something...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 05:31:31 AM »

Thanks for the ride report and taking us along the way!

:2vrolijk_21:

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 07:30:25 AM »

Looks like a great ride, thanks for sharing!!
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 07:40:00 AM »

Great pics, great ride, would be a good one to ride & have it on the list.  :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 09:34:43 AM »

Thanks for the trip report, JC. We rode the Devil’s Highway three years ago and stayed in Alpine, AZ. Love that place!

Next time you are out that way, check out the Very Large Array, the world’s largest radio telescope, near Socorro, NM.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 09:42:26 AM »

Loved the photos!

Lived in Flagstaff, Arizona for 30 years ... Now more homesick than ever!!

Cheers,
(Quietly suffering in) Smoketown

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »

Awesome pics & write-up.  Thanks for posting!
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 01:57:11 PM »

Jealous! But thanks for posting!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »

Thanks for sharing your ride and awesome pictures!!!! I have never ridden anywhere out West on a bike, time to start planning something...

You're kind of new here so you may not have seen my ride reports.  If you get ready to ride anywhere in the west, let me know where you want to go and what you want to see/do and I'll lay out a route for you.  In the mean time, here's a few of my photo ride reports to entice you.......................................

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=77699.0

West Coast GTG   

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 04:56:53 PM »

JCZ, great pics. when Tony & I did our 9k+ trip we came from Chandler,Az thru Globe & into White River Reservation as well. Loved twisting into the canyons. My wife's family adopted a full-blooded Apache girl from there back in the late 60's. so, they have a connection to the area. we actually stopped in the village & bought some things for them. grat ride pics, to drum up memories.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »

JC, thanks for the ride report.  Looks like another area to put on "the list".  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 10:02:24 PM »

JC, thanks for the ride report.  Looks like another area to put on "the list".  :2vrolijk_21:

Blair let me know when you two are ready to head down this way.  Don & Carole live in Tucson now and Babe and I live in Sahuarita, Ariz (about twenty miles south of Tucson).   And you may remember during the redwood GTG we rode over to Tom's house in Shelter Cove (a three story house that he'd just bought and wasn't finished yet).  He and a lady that he had met there in Shelter Cove now live in Green Valley, about six miles from Babe and I.  None of it was planned, we just kind of all ended up in the same area.  Come on down......let's ride.  But not in the middle of summer!

West Coast GTG   

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 10:27:28 PM »

I hear you on the not in summer. As we get older our tolerance for riding in the heat gets less and less.  Did Death Valley years back at 115ish and that was enough for me. And that wasn't even the heat of summer  :o  Yes do remember Tom from the Redwoods GTG. Shelter Cove to Arizona is quite the change in weather.  Do they even have fog in Arizona  :P  We'll definitely let you know if/when we head down that way. Say hi to Babe and to Don and Carole.  (hi Don if you are reading this).

B.
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 09:59:06 AM »

I hear you on the not in summer. As we get older our tolerance for riding in the heat gets less and less.  Did Death Valley years back at 115ish and that was enough for me. And that wasn't even the heat of summer  :o  Yes do remember Tom from the Redwoods GTG. Shelter Cove to Arizona is quite the change in weather.  Do they even have fog in Arizona  :P  We'll definitely let you know if/when we head down that way. Say hi to Babe and to Don and Carole.  (hi Don if you are reading this).

B.

No, no fog over here.  And I went through that heat thing the past five-eight years.  Each year it seemed like I was able to tolerate heat less and less.  We got here in Oct. and had a few 90F days least year and it didn't bother me like 80F would in California.  Maybe there is something to that "it's dry heat" claim.  It got up to 85F the other day when Don and I were on this ride and no issues.  I mean none.....not even just a feeeling of "man it's hot".  I can see now why everybody from California retires in Arizona. 

West Coast GTG   

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 08:29:57 PM »

Thanks for the pics JC. Dang that a good looking Yellow bike
Most great stores start with a bad decision

2ROWDY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2020, 03:31:14 PM »

I rode the Devil's hwy last summer. The White mountains are beautiful. I want to do it again. Yes, the mine is amazing to see at Morenci.
2005 FLHTCSE2, RINEHART TRUE DUALS, FUEL MOTO AC/DC AIR CLEANER, DYNOJET POWER VISION FROM FUEL MOTO.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 06:47:29 AM »

We rode Springerville to Morenci two Years ago on one of our western trips.  We just loved the ride, it was four couples.  We all agreed the ride would be better going Morenci to Springerville.  So last summer on our trip to Southern Utah our planned route was going to take us up it.  Sadly when we got there 191 as closed just north of the mine for road repairs.  We will be back.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 22 queries.