Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Does any one have advice for Shaking mirrors?  (Read 18641 times)

Andrea O

Does any one have advice for Shaking mirrors?
« on: June 03, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »

Hi All

I have a 07 fxdse and the mirrors shake pretty bad... does anyone have a solution ? :pepper:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Does any one have advice for Shaking mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 05:32:29 PM »

Hi All

I have a 07 fxdse and the mirrors shake pretty bad... does anyone have a solution ? :pepper:
Andrea O,
Welcome to CVOHarley glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21: When you get a chance you should go to this board - New Member Introduction and start a thread to introduce yourself.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »

need for info. do you have stock bars and mirrors. do you have a smooth running engine.
do they move all the time are just when you are getting on the gas?????
SLASH

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 06:00:45 PM »

With my softail, one mirror would shake and then the other but I put that down to the counterbalancing of the TC88B motor.  Don't understand on the Dyna though, it's rubber mounted isn't it?

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 02:22:19 AM »

Andrea O welcome aboard  :2vrolijk_21:

:worthless:

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 02:45:23 AM »

Good morning Andrea O,

I send you the  :welcome_005:  from FRANCE.

Best regards

:vrolijk_26:  Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 11:18:55 AM »

Hi All

Hi Andrea.

I would tighten them up with a wrench until they stopped shaking.  If they are shaking when your engine is turned off, and you live in Cali (?), its most likely an earthquake.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Big Al

• If not now, when?
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2002 FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO3: 2024 RA1250SE
    • T. Allan Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 12:24:07 PM »

Hi All

You got a lot of welcomes (but not a lot of help).  When you say shaking I assume you mean while riding at speed and you take your hands off the bars and then they shake, right?

The only choice I know is a bar snake (a little extra weight on the ends of the bars) to help change the natural vibration frequency.  However- with heated grips or internal wiring this may not work...Anyone else tried?

Al
Big Al
1999 FLHTCU/I w. Hack (Kaz' ride)- Sold
2006 FLHTCUSE- Hit a deer- Written off
2013 Tri-glide- Sold
2012 BMW K1600GTL- Commuter
2016 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra Limited- Sold
2024 RA1250-SE- CVO Pan America

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »

Other things to check:
front motor mount
fuel injection program
Again, assuming it does this at idle
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Smurfsdad

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »

Andrea,
   I understand what you mean about the shake. When I left the dealer on my new FXDSE, riding on the interstate, I had to reach out and hold the left mirror while attempting to pass a vehicle ahead of me. That helped some. Without doing so, I could see nothing but a blur. The right mirror is bad too, but not quite as bad. My dealer suggested changing mirrors. They gave me my choice of any mirror in the HD catalogue. They are going to install them this week. They are also going to work on my fork lock that never worked. I requested that someone from the dealership take my bike out for a spin on the interstate after changing the mirrors to see how they work. I can't really believe that a mirror change will make a difference, but am willing to give it a try. It is VERY unsafe to go out in traffic with the shaking that is taking place now.

Smurfsdad
Smurfsdad

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »

start a thread to introduce yourself  :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »

Andrea,

Welcome!  While I don't have personal experience with the '07 SE Dyna, I have owned bikes with this same issue over the past 40 years and I fully understand your concern.  I did a little searching on the 'net and came up with a post from a different site regarding your issue that makes good sense:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"They are very much aware of the mirror vibration problem and are seeking a solution. It is caused by a combination of three factors - a very large stroked motor that shakes at lower RPM's - direct mount handle bars (no risers) - and slotted stem mirrors. They asked me to return my bike to my dealer and to have the dealer first insure nothing else was causing undue vibration (ie: wheel balance, motor bracket problem, etc) and if everything else was ok to then try different handle bar / mirror combinations to try and resolve the problem. They assured me that they would pay for finding a resolution to the problem. I'd suggest owners of the new FXDSE contact Harley Davidson Dyna Tech Department and discuss the problem with them. They will give you a Reference Number to give to your dealer with instructions for your dealer to contact them for detailed instructions on how to proceed.

At this point in time, HD does not want to do a full fledged recall as they dont think the problem is with 100% of the FXDSE's, but to instead handle the problems on a one on one basis until they can find out what is causing the excessive mirror vibration issue.
"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has been an issue on many different Japanese bikes over the years, enough so that the aftermarket has designed dampers that install between the mirror stem and the handlebar bracket to alleviate the shake.  Unfortunately, those I am aware of have 10mm threads that only work with Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki etc.  If I come across any designed for a Harley I'll post the info later.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 07:30:31 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 04:16:43 PM »

I have the same shaking mirror problem....I'm going to try a rubber washer on the top and bottom of the  mirror mount this week...I hope it calms it down...I'll keep you posted...I know I can't see anything during the day, much less at night with the shake I get !!  ???

fxdsegrl

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE - Sold :(
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »

I have the same problem with my bike.  The mirrors are pretty much useless, I don't like being in the lead because I can't see what is happening behind me  :o  I've just taken my bike in for its first service and they are going to see what they can do about the mirrors.  Like one person said call Harley to complain, they will do something.  It's not safe like they are.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 04:42:18 PM »

... "They are very much aware of the mirror vibration problem and are seeking a solution. ....
I'd suggest owners of the new FXDSE contact Harley Davidson Dyna Tech Department and discuss the problem with them. They will give you a Reference Number to give to your dealer with instructions for your dealer to contact them for detailed instructions on how to proceed.

At this point in time, HD does not want to do a full fledged recall as they dont think the problem is with 100% of the FXDSE's, but to instead handle the problems on a one on one basis until they can find out what is causing the excessive mirror vibration issue.
"...

I think the advice Jerry just gave you is the best advice.  Contact the HD Tech Department, let them find out how far spread the issue is and stick to that "It Is Not SAFE!" topic.  Lets hope they come up with a fast solution to this problem. 

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 05:31:04 PM »

OK so it gets worst when we speed up. The motor or the engine mount is the problem.
sorry nothing you can do there but balance the motor are change the engine mounts if there is one thats has better dampening.
I just do not think new mirrors are the answer but good luck with that, hope it helps.

been there and done that

SLASH

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 07:25:30 PM »

OK so it gets worst when we speed up. The motor or the engine mount is the problem.
sorry nothing you can do there but balance the motor are change the engine mounts if there is one thats has better dampening.
I just do not think new mirrors are the answer but good luck with that, hope it helps.

been there and done that

Actually, it probably has more to do with the mounting of the handlebars than the design of the mirror.  Correct me if I'm out in left field, but if I remember the bike I looked at in the showroom a couple months back, the bars are mounted directly to the upper triple tree without the rubber mounted risers like those on a regular Dyna. That will definitely transmit more vibration to the bars, and therefore to the mirrors. The ultimate "fix" will probably involve rubber mounting the bars and/or adding a damper to the mirrors.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 09:07:14 AM »

ok, folks, here's the deal....we own one, and noticed from the first mile to mile 1050 that the mirrors shake.  We have called HD, have talked to the dealer, and even replaced the motor mounts....nothing is working.  For those that don't own one, or have not ridden one, you wouldn't understand.  Its not the typical "Harley vibration"....its bad enough that your hands will go numb after 20 miles of this.  When in idle, the whole front end shakes bad enough that you think its going to fall over. 

Now, above 2800rpms, it will clear up.  When I ride behind my husband, I can't see him in his mirrors, and I have ridden this bike as well......bout killed me!!  This is UNSAFE.  Why isn't HD doing anything?  What happens when the motor locks up (which I have heard has happened) and he is killed?  Or causes a major wreck? 

Yeah, I sound like at outraged b1tch, and I am....when you pay $27,000 for a bike, you expect it to ride right, not be junk. 
If you don't take that risk, how will you ever know?

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 10:24:55 PM »

there are only two ways to make a vibration go away.
get as far away as you can from the cause or fix what making you shake.
Sounds like to me its the motor. You may not be able to fix this problem
so ask your dealer for a vrod they are the smoothest riding bike I have ever
been on.

and yes they will go fast

good luck sorry for your trouble
SLASH

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 08:46:57 AM »

hehe.....well, I guess you're right, if you don't like what you've got, get rid of it.  The best bike the hubby ever owned was an FXR3, and he is working on getting rid of the SE and getting the FXR3 back. 

Thanx for taking the time to respond... 8)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:59 AM »

I can understand that it is the motor in this case.

I have had and currently have a DWG and I made the mistake (IMO) of doing a big bore on the last one.  Really messed up the smoothness (Again IMO).

The big motor of the SE along with the light weight of the non-bagger doesn't give a lot of dampening to the entire package.

Sounds like it's a problem that the MOCO is working on, given our other issues that have eventually been resolved with complaints/pressure from owners, I can not stress enough that the calls to the MOCO hotline are most important.

Experience tells us that if you aren't a squeaky wheel, you won't get any/much help from the tech department at the MOCO.

Let them know it is a REAL issue.  And let them know it often.

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 09:07:19 PM »

A friend had the same problem on his 07 FXDSE and went to our local dealer and complained.  Said it was a safety issue so they swapped out the mirrors to a different type and apparently the problem went away. 

I know, I know   :worthless:

I'll get a picture and see if I can't get a part number.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:09:56 PM by BT »
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 10:24:12 PM »

that's intersecting why would replacing fix the shake
that would mean the wind was the problem.
and I think the shake is at low speed also right
but maybe it will help
SLASH

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 10:32:04 PM »

that's intersecting why would replacing fix the shake
that would mean the wind was the problem.
and I think the shake is at low speed also right
but maybe it will help

I went to the dealer yesterday getting some supplies and was looking at these mirrors on one of the dyna cvo's on the showroom floor. The mirror stem seems like a tuning fork the way it's constructed with the thin frame having a large hogged out hole in the center. I tapped the mirror stem with my finger on top and it seemed to me like it would carry a resonance of vibration from somewhere else.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »

sure fire fix for shaky mirrors - turn off the bike ;D
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

cdog

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »

THERE MAY BE A FIX.

It's not the motor or the mirrors.   It's the front engine mount.  It needs shims.  This has worked on older models, and some newer models.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58306   The fix.  $10.

FWIW, my 07 CVO Dyna shakes a lot, but its only at low rpms, and not terrible.  The mirrors do get blurry, but I'm usually looking ahead....Worst shaking is from 1,800 - 2,800 rpms.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 11:57:24 AM by cdog »
2007 CVO Dyna FXDSE, Rinehart Exhaust, PCIII.

Andrea O

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »

Wow !!! Thanks for the great response.... BTW if RPMS are above 3000 the mirrors smooth out.........

Smurfsdad

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 10:50:03 PM »

Well I can't believe it, but the dealer replaced my stock FXDSE mirrors with a different style and I couldn't be happier. My dealer is an hour away from home and I asked the service manager to take my bike out on the interstate and check the mirrors before calling me to tell me it's done. Didn't want to leave the dealership with the same problem. I didn't think that just replacing the mirrors could fix the problem but I was happily mistaken.

Smurfsdad
Smurfsdad

fxdsegrl

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE - Sold :(
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2007, 02:58:20 PM »

I just had my first service done on the bike and my dealer replaced the mirrors at his cost.  Harley Canada says they don't know of any problems with the mirrors   :-\  The stock mirrors have the slotted stem on them and you can actually move them if you try to pinch the piece together.  The dealer thought if we had a solid stem it would help...  And it did!!  The new mirrors are 100% better, I can see clearly in the mirrors now.  The mirrors they replaced mine with are are 'Bullet Mirrors' part number 91657-02.  They still look good on the bike and you can actually see :)

Andrea O

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »

Hi guys...

Update I called HD (waited 60 minutes)  and they did give me a reference # to take to the Dealership to get new mirrors... I am going to try the bullet mirrors.  Will let you know how it goes.

Andrea O

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 09:44:24 PM »

hip hip hooray!!! I got the new mirrors and now i can see the peolple behind me!!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 10:46:05 PM »

Hi All

They say it eases up once you stop drinking  :nixweiss:

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 05:06:47 AM »

I've tried to be so good on this topic and just knew it wouldn't last. Glad your got mirrors that work for you.

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2007, 08:40:56 AM »

HD gave us a reference number as well for a new set of mirrors....those will be next.  We purchased a new set of ISO grips, and pegs, and that seemed to help some as far as the vibration in the hands (going numb from the "buzz").  Mirrors are on the list, as well as a new seat. 

Glad they worked out for everyone...there may be hope yet!!   :orange:

myfxdse07

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2007, 09:08:10 PM »

Great news, Can someone pls post the number to call to get a ref #.  I p\u my ride tomorrow after having a PcIII EX installed and dyno'ed  (I'll post my numbers tom) May be I can take care of the mirrors at the same time... BTW does anyone know what the current stock mirrors are worth?
Tks

Andrea O

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2007, 09:30:39 PM »

The stock mirrors are currently sold for $149.  The Bullet mirrors are $229.

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 07:59:42 AM »

We called HD customer service (off of the website) and pushed the issue.  I think if enough people call, something bigger will get done.

myfxdse07

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 04:00:48 PM »

Ok Got a ref # but rep says it's still up to dealer to authorize mirror replacment.
I'llcall my dealer to see what gives...

Andrea O

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 08:29:07 AM »

Here are the new mirrors... not quite as attractive

however, it is nice to see what is behind you ;D

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2007, 10:11:38 AM »

I went to the dealer yesterday getting some supplies and was looking at these mirrors on one of the dyna cvo's on the showroom floor. The mirror stem seems like a tuning fork the way it's constructed with the thin frame having a large hogged out hole in the center. I tapped the mirror stem with my finger on top and it seemed to me like it would carry a resonance of vibration from somewhere else.
Hey Reo, you may have identified a large part of the problem, right there.  That's why people have so many problems with those little sissy bars breaking, etc.....they act like a pronged tuning-fork to intensify the viberation from the motor.  So......a 'mirror change' may just help.  On my ole softtail, the mirrors viberation is bad enought that I can see if a car is behind me, just can't tell what kind or if it's a cop car.  :oops: har!   :drink:spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2007, 10:15:07 AM »

well thats a first for me, mirrors were causing the problem.
Glad its not shaking anymore.
SLASH

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2007, 11:24:38 AM »

Hey Reo, you may have identified a large part of the problem, right there.  That's why people have so many problems with those little sissy bars breaking, etc.....they act like a pronged tuning-fork to intensify the viberation from the motor.  So......a 'mirror change' may just help.  On my ole softtail, the mirrors viberation is bad enought that I can see if a car is behind me, just can't tell what kind or if it's a cop car.  :oops: har!   :drink:spyder

Thanks for the credit Spyder, I had the bullet mirrors on my seeg and I have the buckshots on my sefb and the mirrors are somewhat larger than the profile mirrors but have a more supportive stem. The structure of the stem on the profile mirrors for the se-dyna seems to me to be a structural problem as I eluded to in my earlier post.

When I was a Kenworth I went to a day seminar where they were addressing shaking and frequency vibrations caused by the lightning components used in the trucks today. Now while at Peterbilt I still see the same kind of problems from time to time. We have actually seen frequency noise and vibrations transfered thru frame rails because of the lightening, you wouldn't believe some of the fixes we get involved in.

I'm just happy all you guys with the se-dynas are getting it fixed.

Screaming Tuna

• CVO1: 2007 Screaming Eagle Dyna FXDSE
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Just replaced my stock "Profile Slotted Stem" mirrors with the HD "Buckshot" (PN 92096-05) mirrors and vibration problem solved , PLUS the Buckshot mirrors look great!

Even though the Buckshot's cost more, my dealer made the change at no cost to me.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 01:02:33 PM »

good deal, Screaming Tuna, and what a great Dealer!  :) har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2007, 08:05:41 AM »

Its sad that no one at moco saw this mirror problem during the shakedown of these bikes in prototype form. No doubt they are aware of the oversite now but its very good news that they are authorizing the trade-up to the more costly bullet or buckshot mirrors. Gives me a new appreciation today to them at moco for taking care of their customers by spending some extra cash to fix a problem on a bike where the  customers had spent extra cash on the cvo line.

Roy.....

soulfly

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King Anniversary FLHRSE5 #165
    • CVO2: (2007 CVO Dyna Twilight Blue Ice Blue Pearl/Granite)
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2007, 09:27:58 AM »

I too have the same problem with no solution.  I like the mirrors so much, I have done nothing.
THE MORE SERIOUSLY I TOOK THINGS, THE HARDER THE RULES BECAME.

myfxdse07

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »

I got mine swapped out on sat. They installed they Buckshot mirrors... Now I can ride with confidence in knowing it's not a police car behind me, HA!

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 09:35:17 AM »

If you look on HD.com....the new FXDSE2 has  new mirrors, and they make the point that they are "solid stem" mirrors.....just an FYI.  We are going to try to get our dealer to swap them.

soulfly

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2007, 05:22:12 PM »

I just heard back from harley.  they WILL NOT replace my mirrors, they want to fix it.  So I stated, how?  They do not know!

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2007, 05:25:37 PM »

I just heard back from harley.  they WILL NOT replace my mirrors, they want to fix it.  So I stated, how?  They do not know!
I hope you were not expecting them to do the right thing, were you?

soulfly

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2007, 07:43:08 PM »

SOKOOLJ - funny, made my day!

wizgee

• Vendor

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE - Silver Rush / Midnight Black - GONE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHRSE5 - Crushed Sapphire / Cold Fusion
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2007, 03:12:03 AM »

Went to the dealer on Monday, after being there twice last week, and bitched about the mirrors for about the fourth time.  :soapbox: The service manager called HD tech and got a reference #. HD tech told the dealer to replace the mirrors with any style that I wanted. I told them that I wanted the buckshot mirrors, but, they didn't have any in stock.  :oops: Hopefully, they will be in soon.
It doesn't seem like just swapping out the style of mirrors would help, but I tried a pair of stock Sportster mirrors that I had laying around, and NO MORE COFFEE NERVES.  :2vrolijk_21:
Now, if I could just get rid of the deceleration popping coming out of the pipes, I'd be a truly happy camper.

chadpaydo

• LYTNUP!

• CVO1: 2007 SE DYNA
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2007, 09:32:03 AM »

Do you still have the issues with your hands going numb or have you solved the problem. 

Chad

ok, folks, here's the deal....we own one, and noticed from the first mile to mile 1050 that the mirrors shake.  We have called HD, have talked to the dealer, and even replaced the motor mounts....nothing is working.  For those that don't own one, or have not ridden one, you wouldn't understand.  Its not the typical "Harley vibration"....its bad enough that your hands will go numb after 20 miles of this.  When in idle, the whole front end shakes bad enough that you think its going to fall over. 

Now, above 2800rpms, it will clear up.  When I ride behind my husband, I can't see him in his mirrors, and I have ridden this bike as well......bout killed me!!  This is UNSAFE.  Why isn't HD doing anything?  What happens when the motor locks up (which I have heard has happened) and he is killed?  Or causes a major wreck? 

Yeah, I sound like at outraged b1tch, and I am....when you pay $27,000 for a bike, you expect it to ride right, not be junk. 

Screamin Dyna

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2007, 03:43:19 PM »

If you like the stock mirrors like I do I think the solution is finally here.  The 08 FXDSE has the same mirrors as ours but they have a solid stem (funny how Harley recognizes the problem but has to be forced to help us out).  Any way that is what I will be doing, I am waiting on the dealer to get a part number for the solid stem mirrors and having him order them ASAP
I Love this Bike!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2007, 08:47:12 PM »

Sell it, buy a beemer....Take em off...Glad to hear they fixed them...I had an iron head over built sporty that shoook so bad they fell off, never missed em...Just foolin...Good luck, shiny side up

Mike

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2007, 08:56:54 PM »

yep, some are 'balanced' better than others.....sometimes it's just 'that' motor.  I had a EVO that viberated really bad from day one.  Couldn't see out of the mirrors and the pegs would almost vib. your feet off.  As Miker said: love it or leave it.  :-\ har!  :huepfenjump3: spyder

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2007, 12:33:23 PM »

Holy vibrating reflector shields! I had no idea I was one of thousands with these issues. I have been intermittently shaking one arm, then the other to get feeling back in my hands & just figured it was due to accident related injuries (wrists). And, the darned mirrors shaking so bad I couldn't see behind me...bugger that! After doing some mods, adding rubber spacers to the bottom of my mirrors, tuning, ect. the mirror problem went away. I refuse to change handlebars as they look incredible on the bike, so I guess I'll try the "snake" trick & see how it works. Anyone else had luck with this repair or any other?

Ride it like you stole it...
Mitch
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

HDbeerman

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2007, 01:10:36 PM »

Holy vibrating reflector shields! I had no idea I was one of thousands with these issues. I have been intermittently shaking one arm, then the other to get feeling back in my hands & just figured it was due to accident related injuries (wrists). And, the darned mirrors shaking so bad I couldn't see behind me...bugger that! After doing some mods, adding rubber spacers to the bottom of my mirrors, tuning, etc. the mirror problem went away. I refuse to change handlebars as they look incredible on the bike, so I guess I'll try the "snake" trick & see how it works. Anyone else had luck with this repair or any other?

Ride it like you stole it...
Mitch

While I was waiting for pipes to come in I played with altering the stock baffles, even ran a few miles with them out. There is a huge amount of vibration cased by the stock exhaust and the mounting of. With no baffles the vibration is greatly improved but I would not recommend running your bike that way. Once my Vance & Hines 2-1 big radius came in and was in stalled the vibration is almost gone and I haven't even had it tuned yet.

Bottom line, before you freak out and start changing bars and mirrors I would get your new exhaust, you know you're going to do it so go for it sooner then later.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2007, 12:39:45 PM »

HDbeerman,

so true, it is a world of difference with all the simple mods in place. I still get some mirror vibration at certain rpm's, but it is definitely something I can live with. Y'all have a great fall...this is my favorite time of year to ride, so much cooler, so fewer insects.

jackeagle1

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2007, 12:17:26 PM »

Hi Andrea,  I am a new member so it looks like this reply is a bit late.  I had the same problem with the shaking mirrors.  I received no help from my dealer and no help from Harley.  There comment to my letter was, "We are not in the business of helping owners customize their ride.  I fixed my problem with the low cost mirror, not the expensive buckshot type.  My mirrors are a solid beam, forged so it is flattened with a curved depression through the length of the beam and the mirror is tear drop shape similar to the original.  Part number 91315-04 Kit, Mirror, Skull and cost $99.95.  They work great.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »

Hi Andrea,  I am a new member so it looks like this reply is a bit late.  I had the same problem with the shaking mirrors.  I received no help from my dealer and no help from Harley.  There comment to my letter was, "We are not in the business of helping owners customize their ride.  I fixed my problem with the low cost mirror, not the expensive buckshot type.  My mirrors are a solid beam, forged so it is flattened with a curved depression through the length of the beam and the mirror is tear drop shape similar to the original.  Part number 91315-04 Kit, Mirror, Skull and cost $99.95.  They work great.

I wonder how HD would respond to a return letter asking them if they are in the business of providing useless mirrors which potentially might cause the owner/operator of their flagship bike to have an accident because he/she cannot see what's behind them?

I have heard of others getting the mirrors of their choice, authorized by the MOCO, or eaten by their dealer.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »

HDbeerman nailed it. Exhaust changes reduce the vibration considerably. Anyone with this issue should consider aftermarket exhaust before spending money on mirrors. Plus it just sounds so much better...

sjhallmn

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE
    • CVO2: '08 Screamin Eagle Road King
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2007, 06:13:43 PM »

First post to the board but have been reading it for several months.  Called MOCO and after 45 minutes on hold finally talked to someone.  Said I had to go to dealer to make sure it wasn't an engine problem.  Went to two dealers and they said the engine vibration was normal but that they had heard the problems with the mirrors.  Dealer called in the problem to the CVO Dyna expert and got approval for new mirrors.  Put the '08 mirrors (with filled in slot) on and the problem was gone.  Bottom line - the slotted mirrors they put on in '07 act as a tuning fork and vibrate so badly that you can't see a thing but when replaced with the same mirror from '08 the problem is gone.  It definately is a safety issue that is easily fixed with the proper mirror.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2007, 06:16:55 PM »

First post to the board but have been reading it for several months.  Called MOCO and after 45 minutes on hold finally talked to someone.  Said I had to go to dealer to make sure it wasn't an engine problem.  Went to two dealers and they said the engine vibration was normal but that they had heard the problems with the mirrors.  Dealer called in the problem to the CVO Dyna expert and got approval for new mirrors.  Put the '08 mirrors (with filled in slot) on and the problem was gone.  Bottom line - the slotted mirrors they put on in '07 act as a tuning fork and vibrate so badly that you can't see a thing but when replaced with the same mirror from '08 the problem is gone.  It definately is a safety issue that is easily fixed with the proper mirror.
Hey SJ.......great 1st post!  Glad you got it fixed w/o costing you anymore than aggrevation.  Hopefully your post will help others in the same regard.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  :drink: spyder

soulfly

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »

I had the same problem with my 07 FXDSE.  I liked the style of the mirros so much, I dealt with it.  Then I was @ harley dropping off my bike for the winter and I saw the 08.  It had the same style mirrors with a solid stem.  I then proceeded to file my complaint with the dealership.  I really received good feedback from the last discussion we had on this, so I went for the warranty vs. buying new ones.  I squeezed $ out of MoCo.  I do not know the outcome yet....but spring is coming!!

I did see a very unique way off dealing with it (red 07 that was 4 sale on ebay).  The person drilled holes in the center of the stem & put a bolt & nut there to control the vib.  Not a bad idea, but I did not like it. (Unless the bolt was attached to a cup holder!!)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:39:10 PM by soulfly »

Andrea O

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »

Soulfly

Funny I saw that listing the other day and noticed the bolts too.  I wonder how many people have traded in their bikes thinking they could not drive it becouse of the mirriors.  I have the bullet mirrors they work well.  However I think I am going to switch to the 08 fxdse2 mirriors soon.

I also missed out on the $50 windshield that was listed

Andrea

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »

Anyone still having vibration issues after tuning and exhaust? Mine really is alot better with these mods in place. I still have the stock mirrors and do not have a problem with visibility. Perhaps it is just that my head is vibrating at the same rate as the mirrors, but I doubt it...

magnum

• CVO1: cvo
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »

shakn mirrors; if ya have an H-D they all have some vibs but i chose to change out mirrors and add a rubber spacer on handle bar mount .took almost all shakn away
magnum done it

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2008, 06:14:51 AM »

A shaky bike!! ;) ;D

dhudson

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2008, 11:00:56 PM »

Just wanted to thank Andrea for starting this post.  My mirrors were also shakin' real bad, so when I dropped my bike at the dealer for the 1000k check I mentioned the mirrors and the dealer called HD tech and they authorized them to put the solid stem FXDSE 08' mirrors on mine,so that shows they no they have a problem with the 07' mirrors.  Pretty cool they are standing behind this problem.  Thanks for everyones input on this one.
07' FXDSE
D&D FAT CAT
Diamond Cut Heads
Woods Cams
Heads By Steve at Chesapeake Harley
122hp 125tq

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »

Just wanted to thank Andrea for starting this post.  My mirrors were also shakin' real bad, so when I dropped my bike at the dealer for the 1000k check I mentioned the mirrors and the dealer called HD tech and they authorized them to put the solid stem FXDSE 08' mirrors on mine,so that shows they no they have a problem with the 07' mirrors.  Pretty cool they are standing behind this problem.  Thanks for everyones input on this one.
good deal~  and sometimes they do the right thing ~  har!  :) spyder

dhudson

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »

Just wanted to see if I could attach a picture of my bike. This pic was taken with the original mirrors.  Dave
07' FXDSE
D&D FAT CAT
Diamond Cut Heads
Woods Cams
Heads By Steve at Chesapeake Harley
122hp 125tq

maddawg46

• I have Rice Rockets too
  • Horsepower sells cars; Torque wins races
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2008, 02:18:53 PM »

My '07 did the same.  The problem is the hollowed out stem design.  It acts as a tuning fork and amplifies the vibration.  Harley knows about the problem.  They Will replace the mirrors free of charge with ones of your choice at the dealer.  Tell the service manager at the shop to call Harley and they will give him the OK.  I picked the "fish tail" ones, since they are similar to the ones that were stock.  A miracle!!  Clear as a bell at all RPMs.
2007 FXDSE Blue
2005 Yamaha FJR
1997 Suzuki Bandit
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 24 queries.