Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Handlebar replacement  (Read 10631 times)

atlasfields

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2- In red of course!
Handlebar replacement
« on: April 28, 2008, 01:30:44 PM »

Here's the scoop...I've got an 08 and the stock handlebars are killing me.  I get a pain in between my shoulders that is mind boggling'ly painfull. 

I replaced the stock seat with a custom one from Danny Grey.  Thinking that since I a little lower and a little farther back, that's exsasperated the issue.

Anyone have thoughts on a handlebar replacement?  Or maybe I should a get of risers that would raise the bar a bit and raked them back a little?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely, in a pretty and well perserved body.
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming; "Wow... That was one hell of a ride!" ~ Unknown

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
Re: Handlebar replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 02:00:28 PM »

bar/riser r an expensive option   electric cables run through!   beware its not so easy to replace

atlasfields

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »

bar/riser r an expensive option   electric cables run through!   beware its not so easy to replace

True, you're right, it's not a cheap thing but it's worth not feeling like some took an axe to my traps.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely, in a pretty and well perserved body.
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming; "Wow... That was one hell of a ride!" ~ Unknown

atlasfields

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »

Bumping this back to the top.  Am I the only one looking to replace my stock handlebars?

Looking at the Gangster Apes from Carlini or some 14" incher's from brcustomcycles.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 12:38:21 PM »

I know what you refer to...it took time before my muscles got used to the new "stance"...I didn't change my bars because I really like the look of them on the bike. Any change in handlebars will require cable/hose changes as well. Keep in mind the internal wiring. You should do whatever you wish as it is YOUR bike, just make sure you get all the information before switching out. Best of luck!

Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

atlasfields

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:31:37 PM »

I know what you refer to...it took time before my muscles got used to the new "stance"...I didn't change my bars because I really like the look of them on the bike. Any change in handlebars will require cable/hose changes as well. Keep in mind the internal wiring. You should do whatever you wish as it is YOUR bike, just make sure you get all the information before switching out. Best of luck!

Flyndyna

After 9k mikes, I doubt I'm going to get use to them.

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:23:59 PM »

I considered replacing my handlebars as my hands were falling asleep. After checking into it, decided I didn't want the hassle. My husband turned the bars down a little and it helped some, but my hands will still fall asleep...not all the time, but often enough that it is irritating. I just shake them out a bit, and if it's real bad, then I will stop for a while. My Dr. says it's not the bike, but damage in my hands and she wants to operate. I told her that it is still riding season, and I wouldn't even consider it at this time!
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »

I put on an aftermarket seat with rider backrest...adjusted all the way forward plus a nut on the end of the adjuster bolt...pushed me forward enough that I'm comfortable...have ridden 400 miles couple times...now if someone would come out with a bigger windshield for our bike!
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

fxdsegrl

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE - Sold :(
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »

Here's what I did on my 07. I think the 08's have risers where the 07's dont. It wouldve been a lot more expensive for me to replace everything than bend them closer as shown in my pics. Now I ride in comfort  ;D

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=23530.0

droobert

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:37:48 PM »

I've got an '08 Street Bob and I am looking to change the handlebars.  My back hurts and my hands go to sleep.  It doesn't seem like there are too many options.  I'm not worried about the cost.  If anyone has done this, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks!

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 02:44:16 PM »

I've got an '08 Street Bob and I am looking to change the handlebars.  My back hurts and my hands go to sleep.  It doesn't seem like there are too many options.  I'm not worried about the cost.  If anyone has done this, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks!

Good afternoon droobert,

:welcome_005: on the CVO website  :2vrolijk_21:

It would be nice for the other members if you present you in the thread New member introduction with a pic of your bike  ;)   

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:19:43 PM by bisounours »
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:51:06 PM »

Jaffe has some apes and mini apes that are designed as replacement for OEM and internal wiring. Check their web site.

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 08:23:06 AM »

Thanks!

After you change your handle bars, Harley sells some nice gloves with gel pads in them that will help you keep your hands from going to sleep,.

:cowboy: Welcome from Texas :cowboy:                                                     :welcome_005:  :cherry:

atlasfields

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »

Jaffe has some apes and mini apes that are designed as replacement for OEM and internal wiring. Check their web site.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out.

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 09:02:27 PM »

I thought the bars that I saw were from paulyaffeoriginals but I went to the website and they don't seem to be there. Have to do a search through my mags and locate the advertisement. Will repost when I find them.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 24 queries.