Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: how to apply touch up paint  (Read 11729 times)

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
how to apply touch up paint
« on: March 06, 2007, 09:00:44 PM »

I posted this in the general discussion section and then saw this detail your bike page.

Just curious if anyone has a goof proof way of using the HD touch up paint.
It's to cover up a small scratch about as wide as the thin end of a toothpick and about 1 ince long.
Its on a 20 SE Purple RK on the front fender.  I just dont want to make it look worse or obviously covered up.
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: how to apply touch up paint
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 09:22:17 PM »

hdrider, I went ahead and yanked the duplicate post in the general section since this is probably the more appropriate location.

I'll be looking forward to the replies you get since I have a rock chip in my fairing that I've put off doing anything to, since like you, I don't want to make it look worse than it already does.  That's easy to do when using touch up paint!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 09:30:15 PM »

Check out this post - Touch Up Paint or?? for a method of applying touch up paint.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:59:29 PM »

I posted this in the general discussion section and then saw this detail your bike page.

Just curious if anyone has a goof proof way of using the HD touch up paint.
It's to cover up a small scratch about as wide as the thin end of a toothpick and about 1 ince long.
Its on a 20 SE Purple RK on the front fender.  I just dont want to make it look worse or obviously covered up.

I saw d00d posted the link to Garz's method, it looks very good.  But, since I had typed this out I'll leave it here.  It is virtually the same method.

I will begin by figuring you have the correct paint.

A painter with the correct expensive brush would be able to flow the paint in very effectively.  With cars (Porsches included) we have a touch up service that air brushes in color for the type of scratch you describe, I imagine you can find one of the guys in your area through a car dealer, preferably a high end car dealer that would be more particular than a used car lot for example.

Outside help aside, if I am personally filling a scratch on my ride or a customer's I have found the best way to flow paint into a scratch or rock chip is with a paper match.  Burnish the scratch, a pencil eraser will work, then tear the match from the book and use the torn end as a brush.  It will accept a small amount of paint, hold it with your thumb and forefinger and when placed near the scratch, barely touching, it will flow the paint into it with the slightest of movement of your fingers.

If you use too much paint or get excess outside the scratch wipe it off with a clean finger, keep some thinner near to clean your finger.  Let it dry thoroughly (overnight or longer), repeat as necessary until filled and then you can rub it with some compound.  Be patient, the paint has to dry between applications.

My guess is with the purple however it won't match all that well leaving a dark, filled in scratch.  That is why I would try to find the airbrusher locally.  They aren't terribly expensive and do a great job.  You may even find a bodyshop that would do it if there isn't a service available in your area.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 10:59:38 PM »

hdrider, I went ahead and yanked the duplicate post in the general section since this is probably the more appropriate location.

I'll be looking forward to the replies you get since I have a rock chip in my fairing that I've put off doing anything to, since like you, I don't want to make it look worse than it already does.  That's easy to do when using touch up paint!

You just got one?  How the hell did you avoid all the other bits going down the road. 

I counted the divots in the red bikes fairing last Friday night.  Large and small I stopped at 23!  Some right in the gold or orange stripes too (no touch up bottles for those colors).  Most of the touch up jobs are decent on it but when you got divots on top of divots in a couple of places it begins to look pretty raggety. 

And you just got one....  That ain't right man  :huepfenlol2: .

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:40:25 PM »

Seriously, I have only one major one in the fairing.  I do have a few more in the lowers, but just one ugly SOB in the top part of the fairing that I got on the way back from Memphis last June when a gravel truck passed me going the other way in a construction zone. :sauer005:  I purposely stay far, far back from traffic just to avoid as many confrontations with pebbles, rocks, etc. as I can . . . . 'cause they always seem to win. :nixweiss:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 08:48:46 PM »

Seriously, I have only one major one in the fairing.  I do have a few more in the lowers, but just one ugly SOB in the top part of the fairing that I got on the way back from Memphis last June when a gravel truck passed me going the other way in a construction zone. :sauer005:  I purposely stay far, far back from traffic just to avoid as many confrontations with pebbles, rocks, etc. as I can . . . . 'cause they always seem to win. :nixweiss:

So very true!  :(

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 09:43:28 PM »

Red must just be a magnetic color for boulders then.  I've gotten back after runs in the countryside when I couldn't remember being behind a car anywhere outside of town and still found new divots.  The two most recent ones were the worst too.  Right in the middle of orange stripe.  So just a big dark spot in the middle of the bright color and no sure match without just going hit and miss for touch up.

Going to use that 3M film that Roger recommended on the new fairing.  It's got to help.  My front fender is remarkably unscathed; especially given how much bad acne the fairing has kept.  So I may put the film protectant on it too.

But having done this for lots and lots of fairing touch ups:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 09:45:15 PM »

It was time to just give up and do this.

The only other good option was a complete repaint.  But a painter wanted only $100 less to do that than this could be had for.  He also wanted a month's time.  This was ordered Saturday and got here today.  That was worth the $100 difference.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 09:54:46 PM »

Surprised they sold you that without turning in your rock-chipped one. :nixweiss:

I'd love to have an extra set of lowers for mine.  If you hear of any B/B stuff sitting around somewhere, give me a shout!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 10:00:27 PM »

Surprised they sold you that without turning in your rock-chipped one. :nixweiss:

I'd love to have an extra set of lowers for mine.  If you hear of any B/B stuff sitting around somewhere, give me a shout!

Never even a mention of VIN restriction.  Which parts were and were not was always hit and miss anyway.  But I didn't bring it up simply avoid rousing any sleeping bears.  Of course it might also be that the dealership had had it setting on a shelf for 18 months when the guy it was originally ordered bailed on them.  So they were just happy to get rid of it.  The one sure thing is now that with a spare a winter project during the next seasons snow flies will be to get the old one repaired and maybe even work up a bit of art in it.  Have one stock and one decorative.  But damn it'll be nice to have one on the bike that's not ugly again.

For your lowers it's worth a shot to try what I did for this one.  Just called the local dealer and asked if they had it in stock.  Then, as of course they didn't, asked them for phone numbers of any dealers reporting stock.  They gave me five.  One was phantom inventory.  Two were actually for someone but still showing in current inventory.  And two were parts that had been ordered and never picked up.  This place was willing to be cheaper so it's the one I got.

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 08:45:27 AM »

Well I tried it this weekend. I used an eraser to clean up the area.
Took a toothpick and kind of shredded it like a mini paint brush.
Filled in the area of the scratch and it looked caked on. So I took a rag and wiped it off.
After wipeing it off it looks like the white scratch is now a purple scratch and barely noticable.
Works for me.
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 09:18:07 AM »

Well I tried it this weekend. I used an eraser to clean up the area.
Took a toothpick and kind of shredded it like a mini paint brush.
Filled in the area of the scratch and it looked caked on. So I took a rag and wiped it off.
After wipeing it off it looks like the white scratch is now a purple scratch and barely noticable.
Works for me.

Thought that might be the case, it's hard to (impossible) to get the thin look of sprayed on paint, glad that it hides the scratch or at least doesn't draw one's attention to it. :2vrolijk_21:

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 09:37:29 PM »

Another option is to go to a local car dealer and ask who they use to do their touch up work. Most dealers have some who travels to different shops and does little touch ups on the cars.  Most do a really great job, tricks of the trade make a difference.

Scooter   :coolblue:
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
2003 Neosho trailer painted to match bike
1999 Blue Ness custom ( SOLD )
1997 Black & Champagne Wide Glide (The Wife's)
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

Flying Ace

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA#10357

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTKSE
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 08:46:27 PM »

How about a clear coat chip?  I got one on my front fender first week I had it.  Only about  1/16".

Match method or are there other methods you guys recommend for clear coat?
CVO Limited

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 08:56:32 PM »

How about a clear coat chip?  I got one on my front fender first week I had it.  Only about  1/16".

Match method or are there other methods you guys recommend for clear coat?

Either way it is nice it didn't get to the color.  Just work with it and over several applications you can fill it in. 

Just make sure it dries hard before you mess with it in the buffing arena.

Flying Ace

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA#10357

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTKSE
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
CVO Limited
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 24 queries.