Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2009 cvo 110 Ultra Woes  (Read 3877 times)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: 2009 cvo 110 Ultra Woes
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 11:33:52 AM »

Have you ever cut the domes down on the wiseco piston to accommodate the smaller cams (587)?  $$$$ haha
I have cut many wiseco domes. Depends on the top thickness and the influence on weight whether it is wise or not.

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »

Welp, disappointed again! Got the big bore kit from fedex and opened the piston box and looked at this!
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune
Ephesians 2:8

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 12:33:07 PM »

Look what I found in the latest box I opened!
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 08:51:21 PM »

Welp, the solid advice I received regarding the rod binding is in fact a FACT. I measured the runout and was feeling ok when it was half the maximum which I think is a joke. Mine read .0045, I was actually about to install my new pistons. Then I started rolling the crank around again just to feel the rods and on the 3rd revolution I felt some binding. I could move them back and forth and it would free up and seem normal. I then rolled it around 10 times on 3 different sets cause I was trying to talk myself out of going deeper. It would bind about every third revolution. So now I'm bummed out again but hey, it's not a job it's an adventure! After looking into the prices of aftermarket flywheels I'm like WOW another 1500? I'm thinking about sending mine out to dark horse for the ole true balance and weld for a third of the price. I hope. Any suggestions? Thanks again for the solid advice!!
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 12:31:10 AM »

Welp, the solid advice I received regarding the rod binding is in fact a FACT. I measured the runout and was feeling ok when it was half the maximum which I think is a joke. Mine read .0045, I was actually about to install my new pistons. Then I started rolling the crank around again just to feel the rods and on the 3rd revolution I felt some binding. I could move them back and forth and it would free up and seem normal. I then rolled it around 10 times on 3 different sets cause I was trying to talk myself out of going deeper. It would bind about every third revolution. So now I'm bummed out again but hey, it's not a job it's an adventure! After looking into the prices of aftermarket flywheels I'm like WOW another 1500? I'm thinking about sending mine out to dark horse for the ole true balance and weld for a third of the price. I hope. Any suggestions? Thanks again for the solid advice!!

The binding is the roller bearing in the rods are failing. We see a very large percentage of engines with these issues. Darkhorse is a great choice and they do great work. We use a shop in Oregon that does great work as well as the shipping is less from Ca.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 08:56:42 AM »

I guess it's a good thing you did check the flywheels. I did a 113 build on my 1014 CVO Limited a couple of years back. I could have sent my flywheels out BUT I opted on a set of S&S flywheels. Zippers did the heads and the cylinder work. I have S&S premium lifters and T-Man 600 SM cams. I am running a Thunder- Max tuner and a 58 mm throttle body and a D&D Fat Kat exhaust with the quite baffle. In this heavy bike this combo runs real good. Dyno numbers are also good. 133TQ and 129HP. Do your flywheels or buy new and ALSO make sure you do the Timken conversion on the left side case.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 10:04:38 AM »

Keep in mind S&S wheels are available and then the whole rebuild route is avoided. The stock rods can pinch again and by the time you get the H-beams (upcharge) and balance (upcharge) plus the normal service you are knocking on the cost of a new crank and sell this as a buildable core on Ebay to offset a few dollars. Better way to go IMHO and IME. Have a look at the youtube videos that show the difference between stock and the stronger S&S units.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »

Keep in mind S&S wheels are available and then the whole rebuild route is avoided. The stock rods can pinch again and by the time you get the H-beams (upcharge) and balance (upcharge) plus the normal service you are knocking on the cost of a new crank and sell this as a buildable core on Ebay to offset a few dollars. Better way to go IMHO and IME. Have a look at the youtube videos that show the difference between stock and the stronger S&S units.

Exactly. Not to mention the time you are saving.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 05:39:51 AM »

Finally got my crankcase apart. Started to pull the plug on the S&S but after talking to a tech at darkhorse I found out the pistons on the 117 kit have to be modified to accommodate the full width rod to work. Anyone else had to do that?
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »

Finally got my crankcase apart. Started to pull the plug on the S&S but after talking to a tech at darkhorse I found out the pistons on the 117 kit have to be modified to accommodate the full width rod to work. Anyone else had to do that?
Modifying the pistons to fit the full compliment rods is a very easy operation for anyone who knows how to or owns a mill. Also check with S&S, they may offer taper top rods on their flywheels.
John

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 06:14:27 PM »

As John says it is very easy and a quick change.

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 10:16:54 PM »

Heat cycles completed with a couple of backroad rides. going on a longer ride with the club in the morning!
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune

MCE

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 09:14:05 AM »

Welp, disappointed again! Got the big bore kit from fedex and opened the piston box and looked at this!

HD piston? That's horrible.

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 11:19:54 PM »

No,that was a 113 revolution performance big bore kit I sent back and purchased the harley 117 kit from dealer.
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune

MCE

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »

No,that was a 113 revolution performance big bore kit I sent back and purchased the harley 117 kit from dealer.

good call.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.