Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson Announces Second Quarter Results  (Read 7482 times)

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
Harley-Davidson Announces Second Quarter Results
« on: July 26, 2018, 05:42:22 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/24/pr-newswire-harley-davidson-announces-second-quarter-results.html

Just had a chance to read the 2nd Qtr results, interesting:

Strategy to Build Riders Globally
On July 30th, Harley-Davidson will share plans to accelerate its strategy to build the next generation of riders globally. Leveraging core strengths in the business, brand and dealer network, the company intends to invest in opportunities that inspire increased ridership sooner and deliver sustainable growth for the future. Harley-Davidson's strategy supports the company's 2027 objectives to: build 2 million new riders in the U.S., grow its international business to 50 percent of annual volume, launch 100 new high impact motorcycles and do so profitably and sustainably.

Harley-Davidson's accelerated strategy will deliver:

New products –Keep current riders engaged and inspire a new generation of Harley-Davidson riders
Broader access – Meet customers where they are and how they want to engage with a multi-channel retail experience
Stronger dealers – Drive a performance framework to improve our dealer financial strength and the Harley-Davidson customer experience

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Harley-Davidson Announces Second Quarter Results
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/24/pr-newswire-harley-davidson-announces-second-quarter-results.html

On July 30th, Harley-Davidson will share plans to accelerate its strategy to build the next generation of riders globally. Leveraging core strengths in the business, brand and dealer network, the company intends to invest in opportunities that inspire increased ridership sooner and deliver sustainable growth for the future. Harley-Davidson's strategy supports the company's 2027 objectives to: build 2 million new riders in the U.S., grow its international business to 50 percent of annual volume, launch 100 new high impact motorcycles and do so profitably and sustainably.

New products –Keep current riders engaged and inspire a new generation of Harley-Davidson riders
Broader access – Meet customers where they are and how they want to engage with a multi-channel retail experience
Stronger dealers – Drive a performance framework to improve our dealer financial strength and the Harley-Davidson customer experience

What does that mean?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 06:24:24 PM »

What does that mean?

You know what that means Mark.  Take a Sportster, bump it in to a robot on the assembly line and accidentally raise the angle of the front fender, call it the Sportster Aero !   Voila, one new model.

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 07:10:25 PM »

You know what that means Mark.  Take a Sportster, bump it in to a robot on the assembly line and accidentally raise the angle of the front fender, call it the Sportster Aero !   Voila, one new model.

I think you have been talking to the pool boy again, yup......   :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »

This is a joke, right??? Seriously they can't really believe they can get 2 million more riders when their sales are currently declining. :nixweiss:

They better get something stronger than the "Kool-Aid" they have been using to achieve that goal. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 08:16:58 PM »

That article reminds me of something......

A better strategy for HD would be to endeavor to persevere. Also, if they are at any event, they should write an article afterwards saying that a good time was had by all and that the experiences proved to be mutually beneficial.  Of course diversification among HD's consolidated brand strengths will lead to better synergies that will expand exponentially to capture a more favorably positioned market share of the targeted riding audience with compounded integrated partnerships.   Leading the way to the new and better corporate structured consumer experience by innovation and responsiveness to the ever changing dynamics of the marketplace, with eyes set to the knowledge of the future , ears listening to the wisdom of the past, and a firm hand on the tiller of a strategically challenging course.

Or in other words, succinctly -  $5 word salad corporate BS.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:09:30 PM »

That article reminds me of something......

A better strategy for HD would be to endeavor to persevere. Also, if they are at any event, they should write an article afterwards saying that a good time was had by all and that the experiences proved to be mutually beneficial.  Of course diversification among HD's consolidated brand strengths will lead to better synergies that will expand exponentially to capture a more favorably positioned market share of the targeted riding audience with compounded integrated partnerships.   Leading the way to the new and better corporate structured consumer experience by innovation and responsiveness to the ever changing dynamics of the marketplace, with eyes set to the knowledge of the future , ears listening to the wisdom of the past, and a firm hand on the tiller of a strategically challenging course.

Or in other words, succinctly -  $5 word salad corporate BS.

If you were speaking this, I'd be able to quote Mr. Taggart and say "Mr. Iski, you use your mouth purdier than a $20 whore" 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:11:01 PM by Haird »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 09:58:20 PM »

They still don't understand that BS plus hanging out on social media with the kiddies doesn't fix the real issues.  Their products are over-priced and lower quality when compared to the competition.  Boomers gave them a free pass on those issues, the younger generations haven't shown the same tendency.  I notice in their corporate BS announcement they mention everything except fixing all the quality and reliability issues.  They obviously still don't get it.  Perhaps the Chinese will give them a free pass on those issues, at least for a short time.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 10:13:06 PM »

If HD wants to compete globally then need a fuel efficient bike or a fuel alternative (perhaps). It's hard to beat a 90cc or 125cc engine for fuel efficiency.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 01:27:46 AM »

The bad news is always buried in the middle of the announcement.  Here it is:  "U.S. retail sales were down 6.4 percent. Worldwide retail sales decreased 3.6 percent."

How they glossed over the bad: "Our results in the second quarter reflect business performance that is in line with our expectations."

The end result:  HD says they have multiple ways they're going to make everything beautiful again, using the brand name and the dealer network (good f'n luck there!) to create millions of new riders (who are going to spend huge piles of cash they don't have, on machines they don't want).

Talk about rose-colored glasses.   :nervous:

If you want peace, prepare for war.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 03:12:33 AM »

If you were speaking this, I'd be able to quote Mr. Taggart and say "Mr. Iski, you use your mouth purdier than a $20 whore"

;D

Hedley Lamarr: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Taggart: Gosh darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

Mongo only pawn in game of life.

mark

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 08:13:18 AM »

Before I retired, every year my employer would come up with some new B.S. and require each region, division, etc, to come up with next year's strategic goals, field management plan, blah, blah, blah.  Basically, managers would get their best word-smiths to write some non-specific, vague - but eloquent, report like what HD just released. 

The thought was to dazzle 'em with catchy words and phrases, sound like you had a "new" plan, and no one would be the wiser that you intended to do the samething as you did the previous year.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »

Before I retired, every year my employer would come up with some new B.S. and require each region, division, etc, to come up with next year's strategic goals, field management plan, blah, blah, blah.  Basically, managers would get their best word-smiths to write some non-specific, vague - but eloquent, report like what HD just released. 

The thought was to dazzle 'em with catchy words and phrases, sound like you had a "new" plan, and no one would be the wiser that you intended to do the samething as you did the previous year.

Yeah, I wrote stuff like that for more than one company I used to work for. Mission statements, "company vision",  "our pledge to our customers".  Got a kick out of it sometimes, if I could make it meaningless enough and still get it approved.  The dumber    stupider   most useless   idiot managers were the best, because they seemed to really like that stuff.  Towards the end of my career was less funny to me, because the younger mgrs. tended to believe it.  In years past a seasoned guy would call your bluff on utter BS word salad.

Harley answers to stockholders, and collectively they are treated as useful idiots (for years) apparently by HD's wordage.  As customers, we live it far too often.

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 12:40:54 PM »

Reminds me of a business review that I was asked to prepare once for my boss, who was presenting to the new president of the company. We went through several revisions in the weeks preceding with one final change the night prior. On the day of, I held all printed copies until the meeting with the president. Once everyone was seated in the room, I walked around the table to hand-out the presentation. We were big on mission statements and tag lines which are intended to summarize our strategy for the year, almost to a point of arrogance sometimes.

So on my boss' copy, I had altered the tag line to read something to the effect of, "In 19xx, we will suck less!!" Needless to say, he about crapped his pants. We had a good laugh afterwards, but he did insist that I NEVER do that to him again.

Back to the H-D earnings release. For those counting, this is the 16th consecutive quarter of declines in heavy motorcycle sales. Even Indian Motorcycle is starting to see it hit their sales volumes. We need to do a better job of recruiting our children and grandchildren into motorcycling!
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

ultrarider123

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »

Reminds me of a business review that I was asked to prepare once for my boss, who was presenting to the new president of the company. We went through several revisions in the weeks preceding with one final change the night prior. On the day of, I held all printed copies until the meeting with the president. Once everyone was seated in the room, I walked around the table to hand-out the presentation. We were big on mission statements and tag lines which are intended to summarize our strategy for the year, almost to a point of arrogance sometimes.

So on my boss' copy, I had altered the tag line to read something to the effect of, "In 19xx, we will suck less!!" Needless to say, he about crapped his pants. We had a good laugh afterwards, but he did insist that I NEVER do that to him again.

Back to the H-D earnings release. For those counting, this is the 16th consecutive quarter of declines in heavy motorcycle sales. Even Indian Motorcycle is starting to see it hit their sales volumes. We need to do a better job of recruiting our children and grandchildren into motorcycling!

I'm working on that with the grandkids....got one that's ready to head to California after his first ride with his papaw...he loves it.... :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 24 queries.