Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: motor turns over but will not start  (Read 7038 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

motor turns over but will not start
« on: May 04, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »

I do hope someone has some idea on this kind of fault. I had the battery out of the bike (I don't have power were I keep it) I have to charge it at home. the last time it was run was 3 weeks ago when ever I've put the battery back in it has all ways fired up no problem. The only thing I did different this time I moved the bike out side the garage about 15 ft. gave it a bath and polish put the battery in  hooked it up but this time it would not fire. :nixweiss:

Question, by moving it with the battery out would this in some way stop it/activate security?  It's the only thing I did different from all the other times. Will it still turn over if the ignition fuse is blown?  I did see on the odometer the engine icon had come on. What could this be indicating ?

07 Ultra classic
 Any in put would be much appreciated hopping to sort this out don't want to get towed to the stealership

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: motor turns over but will not start
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:15:38 PM »

if your bike is turning over, it isn't the security.

i'd start by checking all your fuses.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 11:41:17 PM »

fuses, fuel pump sometimes gets unplugged removing battery.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 05:29:07 AM »

When cleaning sometimes the neutral switch on top of the transmission will get bumped and become unplugged.  It's on top of the tranny near the tranny top cover.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 11:57:09 AM »

Thanks for the input I'll be checking all the suggestions out tomorrow. I got till Thursday to sort it out come Friday it will have to be a tow job :(

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »

Well had no joy getting her to fire up. Having it picked up tomorrow (Friday) and taken to a HD shop that I found about 3 to 4 mile away. Some old timer HD boys work the shop. Will post what the out come is. Thanks again for the input :2vrolijk_21:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 09:21:58 AM »

Update as of today,...The shop says the fuel pump not working and no spark they want my spare fob to eliminate a fob fault also checking fuses that's all Intel I've got on it at this time.

Q. I don't  know, if the fob it's self is faulty would that shut of fuel and spark? I did a test on the fob battery it read 3.11DCv I thought fob only immobilized the alarm or dose it do more?

Would any one have any thought on this? I'm sure the shop will sort it out, but I've not used this shop be for and it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to have a little knowledge on it when I go see them.

Thank you for any input. PS. This is my first brake down :(

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »

The place to start is to check the stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) that are indicated by that check engine light coming on and staying on.  Those codes will not necessarily tell exactly where the fault lies, but they will give a starting point for proper diagnosis.  Otherwise, I can't think of anything specific to add to the previous posts.  Since the bike cranks, and it didn't set off the alarm, I wouldn't think it's a security system problem but you never know.  2007 was the first year for the new-to-Harley buttonless fob security system, and there were more than a few teething pains just like with every other new-to-Harley system they've ever released.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 12:19:34 PM »

You should be able to rule out any possible issue with the fob by entering your security code and seeing if it will start.  But in my personal experiences with both my '07 and my '12 if the security system does not recognize the fob the engine will not crank.  I guess anything is possible but since your's does crank I would think it something other than the security system.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:21:38 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 01:56:49 PM »

Thanks Jerry Thanks ultra I'll look in to those points.

The check engine light dose come on and stays on

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 12:37:49 AM »

I was told that if the computer does not sense adequate rpm on cranking, that it will not fire.  Must be a magnetic pickup sensing the revs??  Just a guess

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »

Fault corrected, burnt out relay burnt coil wire and a number of fault codes 

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »

When cleaning sometimes the neutral switch on top of the transmission will get bumped and become unplugged.  It's on top of the tranny near the tranny top cover.

This happened to me last year. I am a clean freak. So when cleaning I separated that switch. As all my friends arrived for a day ride my bike would not start. After an hour of trouble shooting  a friend of mine just happened to check that plug and it started....Embarrassing..lol

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 21 queries.