Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: S and S oil sump fix ?  (Read 7652 times)

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
Re: S and S oil sump fix ?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 06:49:02 AM »

My questions would be.
1. Why again are we paying to fix these bikes!  LOL
2. I have seen several bikes after new crank specks (yes they where twin cams) including one of my own have problems with gear drives since crank tolerances where to high.
Anyone know what they are with the M8. If they are high, it seems the gear drive and lack of movement would cause problems.

Not bad mouthing S&S here, love there stuff. Have had many gear drives on 2004 and under, but again, have seen some real problems after those years unless you addressed the crank.

I sold my 2017 due to this sumping issue. Pissed me off, $40,000 and still needs fixed.  I am over it at this point.

Just some thoughts

Big Dave
Dave I'm curious, iffing you sold all your bikes, what are you currently riding, Indian ?
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 08:12:24 PM »

I think it’s sort of funny. If you look at prodrag, Hardtail, fuel Moto, T-man, or star racing none of them are having any engines come back with sumping issues. I think the factory, and the factory techs, are indexing the oil pump incorrectly. When I installed a 475 cam in an 18 road glide I had no issues when I followed the S&S instructions, but when I followed the service manual it was actually missing a step and I had slight binding.
Could you elaborate on that missing step.  I ordered a torgue cam for my 114 and was curious about the missing step.  Thanks Chris
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 01:01:24 AM »

Could you elaborate on that missing step.  I ordered a torgue cam for my 114 and was curious about the missing step.  Thanks Chris

Step 11 on the S&S instructions is missing from the manual.  “Check for binding”.   The service manual tells you to do the initial torque on screws one and two, for the oil pump, then rotate the crankshaft one revolution and then final torque of everything. I was able to duplicate the binding, twice, by following the manual.  Now the S&S instructions won’t tell you what to do if you discover binding neither will the service manual.   The easy fix was to have my wife rotate the back tire with the bike and sixth gear while I torqued down the oil pump completely.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:03:16 AM by cmashark »
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »

Thanks for the info!
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 02:00:46 PM »

If you find binding it’s one of the following:   If it’s binding it will most likely lock up - don’t force it

Mis-alignment by you
Torqued wrong
Too much runout on the crank
A manufacturing defect

Follow the guide and specs and it should work out  fine.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 07:38:07 AM »

Dave I'm curious, iffing you sold all your bikes, what are you currently riding, Indian ?
That is a fair question.
I purchased a 2015 streetglide from the auction. It was a theft recovery. Only needed a battery. Purchased it for $9,500.00 Now I do not feel bad putting money into it. No more new Harley's for me, that I have to fix anyway!!!!!!.
Then I test drove a BMW Grand American and 1600GTL. Purchased the 1600GTL, Best money I ever spent. Power, handling, and all the goodies for way less mony. And the best part, I do not need to spend any money to make it right!!!!
lol  Still like my Harley, but this BMW is hard to beat.

CJ CYCLE

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE CVO ROAD GLIDE
    • CJ CYCLE
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 07:47:13 PM »

I installed the S&S oil pump and cam plate set up when I installed a cam last week.  Too much snow here to ride yet, but I'm not going to wait until or if I have SUMPING problems.  The kit is around $700 and will give you peace of mind.  You can get the kit at my e-Bay store.  I have a Make Offer, so make me an offer and we will get you set up. 

https://www.ebay.com/str/cjcycle
CHOPS

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »

Anyone had excess oil outa the head breathers, since fitting the S&S pump & plate?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 24 queries.