CVO Technical > Drive Train

Whining Noise from Primary

<< < (3/4) > >>

dweiss22:
Jerry, thanks for the insight.  But my goodness man your starting to make me a little nervous thinking about the IPB.  Sounds like a big pain in the ass job....  Anyway, would be surprised if it does turn out to be something more than the tensioner as the bike only has about 4500 miles on it.  Its a 2014 so no warranty to lean on.  Looks like I'll be cracking it open soon...  Stay tuned..

As a side note, I've only had the bike about 2.5 months and started noticing the whining over the last few weeks...not sure if that helps the diagnosis any..

Thanks again everyone for the replies...

Joel:
This may have nothing to do with yours.
I had a 2012 CVO StreetGlide and the transmission started whining at about 1500 miles and at about 1600 the dealer tore it down and found a bent main shaft with a ding on one end most likely caused by being dropped during assembly,
the bearings were darkened do to heat.
They replaced the cassette [ transmission guts ] and no more noise.   

dweiss22:
 Thanks Joel. I don’t think it’s that far back, it sounds like it’s much further in front of the motor mainly coming from the primary. It’s sounding more and more as if it could be the tensioner so I’m going to check that out and report back.

Thanks for your input though.

Phantom309:
What did you find? The new covers don't have access to adjust without removing the whole cover, but .... You can still check the chain tension through the derby/clutch cover with a sturdy screwdriver and flashlight. I do this everytime I change the oil while I'm in there & mine has been fine.

dweiss22:
Phantom309, thanks for reaching out and checking in.  My apologies for getting back to you so late.  Unfortunately, the bike is put away for the winter and I am planning on installing a chrome inner primary cover when it come is later this month so I will have to put you off a little longer before I have my answer.  Stay tuned....

:drummer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version