CVO Technical > Drive Train

Whining Noise from Primary

<< < (2/4) > >>

Rooster:
If your bike is under warranty still let them check and fix. The standard one on the cvo is auto tensioner. It can be changed to another aftermarket such as Hayden. Some have had issues with Hayden. I have one in my old 96 WG as well as my 07 CVO and love them. Usually yes you can install a manual one you just have to inspect and adjust 5-10000 miles.

ultrarider123:

--- Quote from: Rooster on August 07, 2019, 09:33:17 AM ---If your bike is under warranty still let them check and fix. The standard one on the cvo is auto tensioner. It can be changed to another aftermarket such as Hayden. Some have had issues with Hayden. I have one in my old 96 WG as well as my 07 CVO and love them. Usually yes you can install a manual one you just have to inspect and adjust 5-10000 miles.

--- End quote ---

And since there is no longer a separate inspection/adjustment "window" on these newfangled primary covers, you have to remove the entire primary cover each 5 to 10K miles to inspect/adjust.... >:(

dweiss22:
Yea, that's wonderful news....

Can the stock auto adjuster be "readjusted" essentially reset or will it just continue to go back to being too tight as I suspect it is now...??

Rooster:

--- Quote from: Haird on August 07, 2019, 09:45:58 AM ---And since there is no longer a separate inspection/adjustment "window" on these newfangled primary covers, you have to remove the entire primary cover each 5 to 10K miles to inspect/adjust.... >:(

--- End quote ---
Oh yes forgot about that Haird. Yes I was bummed to see it gone on my 07. The old WG has the removeable inspection cover and the 07 just a indented spot where they used to be. The stock tensioner is going to do what it does, I don't think there is any way to put it in one spot and expect it to stay there. Unless someone knows a new trick.

grc:

If it turns out to be an overly tight primary chain due to the auto adjuster, trying to adjust the auto adjuster will likely be a waste of time.  This doesn't seem to be a major issue on late model bikes like it was in the first few years of the auto adjusters, but nothing made by man is perfect and you could have gotten a bad one.  You could replace it with another auto adjuster and hope you get one of the good ones, or you could go with various aftermarket adjusters.  Those aren't necessarily guaranteed solutions either, as various adjusters like the Screamin' Eagle manual adjuster or the Baker manual adjuster have been reported by users to be noisier than the auto adjusters. 

Don't just assume this is a primary chain and adjuster noise.  Once you have the primary cover off you can verify if the primary chain tension is too tight.  If it isn't, you need to look at other items like the IPB I mentioned previously.

Jerry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version