Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Santa  List  (Read 4604 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Santa  List
« on: November 25, 2005, 11:19:08 AM »

What's #1 on your Santa  List this year?  I know mine is a digital camera so I can post pictures on FLHRSEI.ORG.  Har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
Re: Santa  List
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 11:27:21 AM »

Well to start with, santa got a motorcycle so he can better understand my needs.

My wife found one of those blow up lighted santa's on a motocycle with the fan and the lights inside to put up in front of the house. It doesnt look like a harley but the neighbors wont know the diffence. I will try and post a pic after we get our decorations up.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 02:45:11 PM »

Well, just came in from outside....about 40 degrees in the afternoon....I'm adding a heated jacket and gloves to my Santa List (just in case he/she reads this)  HAR!   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 03:23:07 PM »

I would have said my 06 CUSE, but evidently Wille G. [smiley=bandana.gif] and Santa [smiley=santa3.gif] are not on the same page.  

So... I am going to shoot for a Garmin StreetPilot 2730 (available Dec-06).  The cool thing about it is that it gets XM Traffic and Weather (with a paid subscription), and can alter your route around either.  It also comes with XM Radio, and can plug in to an aux input jack or transmit to an unused FM station.  It looks small enough (I saw the 2720 in the store) to fit behind the wind deflector, but I am going to try to find a mounting kit for the handle bars.  It also automatically adjusts the display for sun glare and it also allows for multiple nav-points in a trip, so I can easily plug in some complex routes in the Texas Hill-country.  
No more stopping to read the map!  [smiley=lost.gif]

84 GoldWing GL1200i (mint... pretty much)
06 FLHTCUSE Black/Haze (on order)  ETA: Q2-2006

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »

Hey CUSE-TX, that sounds like a cool combo.  8-) Let us know when you get it and how much it set Santa back.  Har!  spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 07:13:45 AM »

I would have said my 06 CUSE, but evidently Wille G. [smiley=bandana.gif] and Santa [smiley=santa3.gif] are not on the same page.  

Cuse, remember to bug me about it later and I'll find you the part numbers and a picture for a handlebar mount.  I've got a 2620 that I carry on the bars and it works fine.  Tucks in behind the windscreen plenty well enough and still doesn't obstruct you instruments or hands.  Still stays easily accessible from the seat.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 07:18:28 AM »

Yeah TwoLane, I'll be interested in seeing that mount too.  I'm still toying w/ the idea of getting one of those Garmin units for the SEEG.  ......spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 11:14:34 AM »

Yeah TwoLane, I'll be interested in seeing that mount too.  I'm still toying w/ the idea of getting one of those Garmin units for the SEEG.  ......spyder

Yea, me too.  But these guys keep confusing me with all the options, on which one to get.  Help.......I'm so confused.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 11:32:40 AM »

Ok guys.  Just getting ready to head out again for the day.  Will try to remember this evening to look up those part numbers.  The mount I used for the Garmin 26XX wasn't the standard clamshell type you see more often.  It wasn't secure enough to satisfy me for use on the bike.  The one I got was just a few bucks more but works good and was worth the difference.  Will find it and let y'all know.

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 12:15:27 PM »

Cuse, remember to bug me about it later and I'll find you the part numbers and a picture for a handlebar mount.  I've got a 2620 that I carry on the bars and it works fine.  Tucks in behind the windscreen plenty well enough and still doesn't obstruct you instruments or hands.  Still stays easily accessible from the seat.

Found it!  This is a great site for accessories.  Click on the GPS tab near the top.  They currently have the 2720 and under there, you can find the mounts and other accessories.  The 2720 is basically the same modle without the XM stuff.  

http://www.cycoactive.com/

It looks like it is going to retail for about $1200.   :o
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2730/  available this December  

I had to think hard about having XM on the CUSE and the GPS, but I am going to go with XM on the GPS, because it can plug in to the aux input, or transmit to an unused FM station.  That way I can use it anywhere.  It is also an MP3 player!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 01:40:50 PM by WynBrks »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 01:05:52 PM »

It looks like it is going to retail for about $1200.   :o
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2730/  available this December  

Amazon.com had a deal on the 2720 a couple weeks ago for around $738 (or something like that).  I think they're available now, but I think the 2730 you still have to wait awhile for.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 04:27:50 PM »

There are also quite a few ebay sellers offering the different Garmins...at even cheaper than Amazon or Best Buy prices.  Not so much cheaper that it would be suspiciously cheap. :o  Har!  spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 08:11:46 PM »

Ok, here's the mount hardware I use on the 2620.  Should be good for the 26XX and 27XX series Garmin units.  Looked at several before getting these pieces and talked to an engineer and a tech at both RAM mount and Garmin.  Both were comfortable that the fancier (and considerably more expensive) rubber isolated mount system often recommended for the hard drive based Garmin units was unnecessary for a rubber mounted bike.  For a snow mobile or a rigid, yes.  For our bikes not a big deal.  Several long trips with anything from 12 hour days with the GPS unit continuously running or trips over really rough roads have proved it to be an safe mount system (at least so far).  I've also got some software that I can use to check the hard drive in the Garmin unit for surface errors.  Have plugged it in to my computer and checked it a couple of times.  After a fair bit of weather and rough road abuse it still reports 100% error free.  So the mount in conjunction with our rubber mounted engines really seems to work ok.

There is also a clamshell type cradle unit to attach to the GPS unit itself that is far more common than the one selected below.  The GPS unit just snaps inside of it and it's like $10 cheaper.  I watched a 2610 come loose from one of those in a bass boat once.  So for a few bucks more this one actually locks down on the GPS unit and has a locking screw you tighten up to make sure the lock stays locked.  It also comes with a little keyring torx tool to carry with you to release the screw should you ever need to.  Seemed well worth the small difference and it works great in practice.  

The following two links from GPS city show everything one might need for a simple, easy and effective motorcycle installation.  With these parts you've got u-bolts for either standard OD handlebars or larger ones like the Wild1 bars.  The only thing I did to alter the stock pieces at all is put a couple of thicknesses of heat shrink tube on the u-bolt to avoid any metal to metal contact anywhere against the handlebar.  I only put the u-bolt mount on the bike when I'm going on a trip that I'll use the GPS for.  Rest of time I take the U-bolt based mount off (2 minutes with a 7/16" deep socket).  After several on and offs and lots of hours on the handlebar there's not a mark on the bar.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-streetpilot-26xx-motorcycle-cradle-and-cable/sp26cradlepow.htm

http://www.gpscity.com/shipswith-npi-large-steel-rail-base-with-round-plate/ramb101-231l.htm

The first link up there includes the motorcycle cradle and a power cord that you could use either for a hard wired install or a removeable install.  I personally don't use the audio component of the cable; but it's there if you want it.  I cut it to length to reach from the GPS unit to the cig lighter plug and put a connector on it for the lighter plug.  So the whole thing (minus the u-bolt mount) comes on or off the bike in 90 seconds without any wires draping in front of you or permanently tied to bars coming from a hardwired mount inside the fairing.  

A really good and easy to use plug end if you choose to do it this way comes from radio shack.  It's fused right in the plug housing itself.  The fuse is easily serviceable.  It's got a boot to make it good in wet weather.  It's got a little pilot light so you know if the connection is good or the fuse has blown.  And it connects to the wires you'll take to it with spring loaded clamps so it is super easy to make the connection (but it still holds tight and works great).  That they are cheap is just icing on the cake.

I use this plug for any cord I make up to go to a lighter connection or anytime one needs replaced.  Radio Shack's links don't always stay static.  If the link is busted later the part number at Radio Shack is 270-1509.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062263&cp
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 12:38:31 AM by twolanerider »

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 12:16:14 AM »

Ok, here's the mount hardware I use on the 2620.  Should be good for the 26XX and 27XX series Garmin units.  Looked at several before getting these pieces and talked to an engineer and a tech at both RAM mount and Garmin.

TwoLane,

That's excellent info, thanks!

This is one of the great things that make this site invaluable.  It is likely that some of us would have gone out and pruchased the first mount we came across, and ended up with trouble.  Thanks to your time and effort and a place like this, we can share the info, and we are all the better off for it.

Thanks again for the details!

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 09:01:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.