Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Man Looking for Food Coast to Coast Run  (Read 19882 times)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Man Looking for Food Coast to Coast Run
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:12 PM »

Grandpadoc (Lou and Terry), Bubba Love (Keith) and another old friend of ours are planning on going (ride) cross country this summer and needed an agenda. I have been watching Man v. Food on the Travel Channel and have found a few interesting places to stop. We are looking for the best regional food and routes along the way. If we can hook up I'll buy the first round.  :beerchug:   Doc

Man Looking For Food Coast to Coast Run

Wednesday  September 22       Lake Elsinore to Flagstaff, AZ                     467 miles
                                                                                     Salsa Brava, Flagstaff  :beerchug: with Amigo Jorge

Thurs-Friday   23-24                         Albuquerque, NM                            345 miles   :beerchug: with DesertHog
                                                                                                                           25th    stockyards Cafe, Amarillo, TX

Saturday           25                         Oklahoma City, OK                           564 miles
                                                                                           Cattleman's, OKC   :beerchug:  cobb    

Mean Pig, Cabot, AR  
Sunday             26                             Little Rock, AR                             348 miles
                                                                                                                                 Gus’s, Southaven, MS
Monday            27                              Memphis, TN                               140 miles    :2vrolijk_09:  with ultrafxr
                                                                                                                                  Rendezvous, Memphis

Tuesday           28                              Nashville, TN                               212 miles
                                                                                                                      :beerchug: with Jock

Wednesday      29-Oct 2                    Maggie Valley, NC                          272 miles
                                                                                                                      :beerchug: with CVO GTG  :bananarock: :apple:

Sunday             Oct 3                         Washington, DC                           519 miles
                                                                                           4th Geno’s and Pat’s   :beerchug: with Keats
                                                                                              Philadelphia, PA

Mon-Tues          4-5                            New York City                             229 miles

Katz’s Deli, NY
                                                                                                                          Louis’ Lunch, New Haven, CT

Wed-Thurs        6-7                             Salem, MA                                  237 miles

Albano’s Pizzeria Cicero, IL
                                                                                                                           Lewis' Restaurant & Grille, Boston

Friday                8                                Buffalo, NY                                468 miles  
                                                                                                                          8th  Anchor Bar, Buffalo  
                                                                                                         9th  Erie, PA :2vrolijk_09: with Georgehjr and hdbrad03            

Sat-Sun             9-10                           Cleveland, OH                            185 miles   10th :beerchug: with scotr

Mon-Tues         11-12                           Milwaukee, WI                            448 miles

Wednesday       13                                Omaha, NE                                 480 miles    :beerchug: with Supershooter

Thursday           14                               Cheyenne, WY                            508 miles
                                                                                                                       :2vrolijk_09: with Talon

Friday                 15                             Moab, UT                                   430 miles

Saturday            16                              Ely, NV                                      382 miles

Sunday              17                               Las Vegas, NV                            232 miles
                                                                                                                         Hash House a Go Go

Monday              18                              Lake Elsinore, CA                         269 miles  

_________

6825 total miles                                      

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:48:02 PM by grandpadoc »

HD Rider

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
Re: Man v. Food Coast to Coast Run
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:21:16 PM »

No particular food suggestions; just well wishes for a good and safe trip.  Enjoy the ride!
HD Rider

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:31:29 PM »

If I remember correctly you have a GPS other then a Garmin, but if you are able to load POI's that are compatable to those that can be used on Garmin's you may want to check out Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives POI's. If you are able to load them let me know and I'll send you the file or a link to get them. Another good resource is Roadfood.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »

Go on the "Diners, Drive Ins, And Dives" web site and I'll guarentee you'll fill the gaps.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:53:19 PM »

If I remember correctly you have a GPS other then a Garmin, but if you are able to load POI's that are compatable to those that can be used on Garmin's you may want to check out Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives POI's. If you are able to load them let me know and I'll send you the file or a link to get them. Another good resource is Roadfood.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Good suggestion, my gps will load Garmin stuff. This trip will probably cost me a lot of beer money but I'm looking forward eating and meeting some great folks along the way and Maggie Valley.  Doc

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »

No particular food suggestions; just well wishes for a good and safe trip.  Enjoy the ride!

Thanks, I'll take a lot of pics.  Doc 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »

Good suggestion, my gps will load Garmin stuff. This trip will probably cost me a lot of beer money but I'm looking forward eating and meeting some great folks along the way and Maggie Valley.  Doc
Here are two links for Triple D's (Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives) they both require you register (free) to get them...

Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives @ POI Factory

Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives @ ZumoForums

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 03:14:29 PM »

Go on the "Diners, Drive Ins, And Dives" web site and I'll guarentee you'll fill the gaps.

Thanks, You coming to the GTG in June ?  Largest buffet in SoCal and good lunch stops. Doc

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »

Anchor Bar In Buffalo is the birthplace of Buffalo wings. You can Google it for a map. Some good history there and worth the stop.

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 03:24:04 PM »

Thanks, You coming to the GTG in June ?  Largest buffet in SoCal and good lunch stops. Doc

Not sure yet, unfortunatley I'm not able to plan out that far when it comes to time off from work.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »

Not sure yet, unfortunatley I'm not able to plan out that far when it comes to time off from work.

You should reserve now and cancel later if you have to. Our block of rooms is filling up fast as is the rest of the hotel.  Doc

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 03:51:47 PM »

Anchor Bar In Buffalo is the birthplace of Buffalo wings. You can Google it for a map. Some good history there and worth the stop.

On the list, thanks for the tip. :2vrolijk_21:  Doc

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE in Spiced Rum
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 06:56:18 PM »

In Amarillo either the Big Texan or the Stockyards Cafe for chicken fried steak.  I grew up in the area and the Stockyards is worth going to for the food.  The Big Texan is OK, but being able to say you were there is worth more than the quality of the food.  In Oklahoma City you have to stop at Cattleman's.  That place will rustle you up a great steak.  If you want good fried chicken you can head up highway 81 west of OKC to Eischen's Chicken in Okarche.  It's probably 15-20 minutes north of I-40 about 15 minutes West of OKC.

On Rt 66 you can stop in the Rock Cafe just on the east side of Stroud, OK.  This restaurant was part of the Pixar movie Cars.  It burned down a couple years ago, but they rebuilt it better than ever.  If you decide to stop in OKC and we can make it work, I'll take you up on that beer at Cattleman's!

ETA: Definitely catch POPs east of OKC on Rt 66.  I've never eaten there, but if you are there on a weekend there will be a ton of bikes that have stopped in for a break and a soda.  They have literally hundreds of different types of soda.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:04:03 PM by dustingaunder »
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Clearview 8" Smoke Recurve
Nice and Simple!

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »

In Amarillo either the Big Texan or the Stockyards Cafe for chicken fried steak.  I grew up in the area and the Stockyards is worth going to for the food.  The Big Texan is OK, but being able to say you were there is worth more than the quality of the food.  In Oklahoma City you have to stop at Cattleman's.  That place will rustle you up a great steak.  If you want good fried chicken you can head up highway 81 west of OKC to Eischen's Chicken in Okarche.  It's probably 15-20 minutes north of I-40 about 15 minutes West of OKC.

On Rt 66 you can stop in the Rock Cafe just on the east side of Stroud, OK.  This restaurant was part of the Pixar movie Cars.  It burned down a couple years ago, but they rebuilt it better than ever.  If you decide to stop in OKC and we can make it work, I'll take you up on that beer at Cattleman's!

ETA: Definitely catch POPs east of OKC on Rt 66.  I've never eaten there, but if you are there on a weekend there will be a ton of bikes that have stopped in for a break and a soda.  They have literally hundreds of different types of soda.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to have to reroute a couple things to make to OKC at a decent hour. Looks like a 500+ day to make it for dinner. How are the roads from Albuquerque to OKC ?  We have 500+ mile butts.   Doc

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE in Spiced Rum
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »

Thanks for the info, I'm going to have to reroute a couple things to make to OKC at a decent hour. Looks like a 500+ day to make it for dinner. How are the roads from Albuquerque to OKC ?  We have 500+ mile butts.   Doc

Flat, strait, boring, and dull!  Through TX and NM I40 isn't bad.  It can be a little rough in OK.  Our roads are the laughing stock of the region.  Once you get out of the mountains this side of Albuquerque it gets really monotonous.  Nothing really to see between Albuquerque and Amarillo.  Then there is the largest cross in Groom East of Amarillo, but not much else to see until you get to OKC.  We had some family in Albuquerque for a few years and I hated that drive from OKC to Albuquerque every time we made it.  My grandparents still live in Amarillo.  I've driven from OKC to Amarillo probably 300 times in the last 11 or 12 years that we've lived in OK.

If you can't work it to get to OKC for dinner, Cattleman's also has an awesome breakfast.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:32:47 PM by dustingaunder »
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Clearview 8" Smoke Recurve
Nice and Simple!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 22 queries.