Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Test Rode the 2012 BMW K1600 GTL Yesterday........  (Read 53471 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Test Rode the 2012 BMW K1600 GTL Yesterday........
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »

I have had a phone call and some PM's about this so I thought I would start a thread. I know there is some curiosity if nothing else out there....  :drink:

This is copied from a PM I sent to Terry.....

The bike is a lot different than what I am used to. However, that being said by the time I got done with the test ride I was digging it. Loads of torque. I loved the fact that I could stay on 4th or 5th gear in town and go from less than 2k RPM's to 5k without down or up shifting. The seat was comfortable to me but Annette said her backrest was poking her in the back. So much so she had me sit on the back when we got back to the dealer. Sure enough it was. I am pretty certain that I can have that fixed at a local upholstery shop. Just needs to be flattened out with some more padding or gel. It had a "cup" in the middle so two spots hit your back and nothing in the middle.

Heat. I felt some heat on my left ankle. However, I wore low profile tennis shoes and not my normal riding boots. I did this on purpose as I wasn't sure what to expect in the foot peg/shifting spacing. When I moved my foot towards the outside of the left peg it immediately went away. Cool. NO OTHER HEAT ANYWHERE!! Yahoosie!! The salesman even started it up and let it idle while he was going thru all of the bells and whistles before we left. After the bike was running for about 5 minutes, I told my buddy "we wouldn't be able to be standing here right now if this was MY bike." Lol.

Wind. It was EXTREMELY windy yesterday down in Tampa. My wife said she was catching a lot of cross wind. However, I was good tucked in the drivers seat. No push or sway to the bike at all that I was aware of. I like the electronic adjustable windshield on this bike. Just a thumb switch away and I can go from looking a few inches over (I'm 5' 10") to looking thru the shield about 5 inches below. Didn't bother me at all looking thru it either.

Driving Modes. There were three driving modes. Rain, Normal and Dynamic. I started off in the rain mode as suggested by the salesman. And as he told me, I felt a little uncoordinated between the clutch and throttle in that mode. It limits the torque and HP to keep you from spinning out. Kinda a ABS for the throttle if you will. There is also a setting to shut it all off (as in a car) and have full TQ and HP. Once I was in normal and Dynamic modes I was shifting more comfortably. Again, way different than our bikes, but nothing a few hours behind the shield couldn't fix completely.

Suspension. Here's where it gets fun. You have three modes of suspension. Comfort, Normal and Sport. Each you can tell a difference. Keep in mind you can do all of this from the drivers seat, WHILE riding down the road at any speed. Then it takes it a bit further. You can also adjust for one rider, tow riders or two riders with luggage. Wild.

Dual heated seats, heated grips, Bluetooth capable although you have to purchase a specific helmet from them that has it all installed by them and they are about $1100.00 a piece. I will do a lot more studying on that. However the buttons are integrated into the side of the helmet. Power, volume up and volume down. While listening to music via the radio or iPod setup (not included but wired) and you talk to one another it switches to intercom automatically. When a call comes in it will answer automatically answer after 5 seconds if you do not give it a command or it follows your command on the Zumo 660 (which isn't included in the price of the bike).

To be continued......

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Test Rode the 2012 BMW K1600 GTL Yesterday........
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:35:35 PM »

Part 2 of 2.....

The bars are further back than other Beemers, the rider footrests are further forward but again, different from the floorboards of our bike. Annette said she would like her's higher. There are two seat options. The lower seat, which happens to be the exact same height as ours (29.5") at a taller one for the rider at about 3 inches taller. I ordered mine with the lower seat that I demoed with but may order the taller one for a spare after I put a few thousand miles on it if i feel the need. They are $590.00 from the dealer brand new.

The saddle bags are detachable as well as the trunk. The saddle bags are simple. Put the key in, turn it to unlock and a built in handle pops into the carry position. At this point you simply lift up and the bag is in your hand. To reinstall, no key if it is unlocked. Just place it back in place and push the carry handle back down into its flat/locked position. Done. The trunk has a wire to undo which is plug and play. It's the wire for the interior light I believe. I will travel to work and back and by myself without the trunk. Pop it on when Annette and I will travel somewhere as she will need it for a backrest. I haven't researched whether there is a backrest accessory to use without the trunk. If so, I will get it for short trips or dinner runs.

One neat feature is the valve stems on the wheels. It is installed into the base of the "spoke" so that it faces straight out toward the side rather than straight up toward the center of the wheel. This obviously makes it extremely accessible.

The only negatives I have seen on the BMW forum are a pull to the left that some seem to get. Although it appears to be the vast minority, it can be a major nuisance it seems but should be repaired by the dealer. Seems the fix is fairly new (as it should be since this version of the bike is only in its second year of production). Some also complain of a buffeting. Again the vast minority. I had ZERO of that as others (lots) state as well. I assume it has to do with your personal physical stature.

All in all I really enjoyed it and can see racking up a ton of COMFORTABLE miles on this bike. I placed my deposit yesterday after the ride and a long lunch to mull it over. Ordered the blue which is almost a black in person (in overcast skies anyway). I will hang on to my CVO for as long as I can afford both which I hope is until I am ready to release one or the other as they are different animals. I still love my RG, but I am seriously tired of spending tons of money for an inferior machine. But more than that, the attitude that MOCO seems to have towards customer service. I'm done (I hope) with hearing "that's normal, they all do that."....    :huepfenlol2:

Rob

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »

Good read THANKS, keep it coming when you get more miles and trips on bike-ak
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »

That's a nice photo of the bike...really like that deep blue.  I'd love one of those in my basement.  I'm taking donations... :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »

Congrats on the new ride Rob! I pray for many safe miles of enjoyment! Again, congratulations and God Bless buddy! :2vrolijk_21:

PMG1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »

They are great machines. Have a friend who has one and his oil pump went out before Panama City BW last weekend and they had him a new 1600 demo to use. What still amazes me is the price of that bike loaded up to that of a HD. I could buy 2 for the cost but not the American heritage and the lifestyle. Good luck you have the best of both worlds now.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »

Thanks for sharing the experience Rob and I look forward to reading more from you on this bike as you rack up more miles...

All the Best

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »

Rob, I was able to test ride a GTL myself last Sat. My buddy and I were out riding and decided to stop by the local Bemmer dealer to visit about a GS 1200 Adventure. After leaning on the GTL and talking about the 1200 I made comment about the GTL and the salesman said that this GTL was a demo and he was supposed to be getting some miles on the bike and wondered if I'd like to ride it. I said Heck ya and off I went. I couldn't believe the difference in performance and handling between my Ultra and the GTL. There is no comparison, but they are two totally different machines. I think I was still smiling when I went to bed that night. I'll be anxious to hear how well you like it after 10000 miles. We may own a GTL in in the future too.
Supershooter

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 08:29:36 PM »

Congrats and good luck with it.....can't wait to hear how you like it for long days in the saddle. Many miles of smiles :bananarock:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »

Mr. May, it's a beautiful bike.
Get the Akrapovic slip on's and enjoy the sound, the power and the ride!

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 10:39:54 PM »

Wow Rob,,   you don't mess around... i thought you were thinking about it, but I didn't think that you'd pull the trigger so fast.  I'm happy for you guys,,   enjoy the ride, I am sure it will be different. :2vrolijk_21:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 10:52:38 PM »

Congratulations on your purchase, Rob... 

Nothing wrong with having a stable of rides!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 10:56:34 PM »

Congrats on the Beemer Rob!!   They are great machines and fun to ride.  The only reason I don't have another one is because the seating position is too crowded for me.  I haven't sat on the 1600 GTL yet, but I'd like to see if it still has a cramped, for me, riding position.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »

And the motor is quiet, NO rattle or knocks at all.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »

All in all I really enjoyed it and can see racking up a ton of COMFORTABLE miles on this bike. I placed my deposit yesterday after the ride and a long lunch to mull it over. Ordered the blue which is almost a black in person (in overcast skies anyway). I will hang on to my CVO for as long as I can afford both which I hope is until I am ready to release one or the other as they are different animals. I still love my RG, but I am seriously tired of spending tons of money for an inferior machine. But more than that, the attitude that MOCO seems to have towards customer service. I'm done (I hope) with hearing "that's normal, they all do that."....    :huepfenlol2:

Rob

I hear you . Planning to do the same this weekend. German engineering, awesome machines. This weekend rained to much . I will head to either the Orlando or Daytona dealer to try it out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.