Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Test Rode the 2012 BMW K1600 GTL Yesterday........  (Read 53466 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Test Rode the 2012 BMW K1600 GTL Yesterday........
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »

I hear you . Planning to do the same this weekend. German engineering, awesome machines. This weekend rained to much . I will head to either the Orlando or Daytona dealer to try it out.

Neither of those dealers have one Darth. Just for what its worth, I wouldn't go to either of those based on my past experiences. Your luck may be different. The guys at Euro Cycles in Tampa (actually Odessa) were very accommodating without being pushy at all. Erin, the owner, was there all day and was helping push the bikes back in at the end of the day. He came over to my truck as we were leaving to head home and asked what I thought of the bike. I told him I placed a deposit on one and he said I wouldn't regret it, shook my hand and said he guaranteed it. My sales person was John Beach. The manager of the store even got involved AFTER the deposit to see if he had the other seat (taller) available on another bike for me to try out. He went out back for a while, returned and said there wasn't one but if he got one in with the next couple of months he'd let me know and I could come try it out and change my order (it takes 4-6 months to get my new one).

Maybe you know some folks at one or both of those other dealers, but if not, I think you will be very happy to check out the dealer I went to.

http://www.eurocyclesoftampabay.com/

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 11:20:50 AM »

I test rode one on my way to the MV GTG.

Pluses
+Impression - someone put a fairing and luggage on a race bike / damn this thing is powerful / I really like this bike
+Good low end power - she gets up and moves very nicely from a stop
+Great power @ 5000 rpm - felt like someone gave the bike a shove / did 110 on an on-ramp without realizing my speed
+Suspension - very solid ride with good comfort but this is based on a short test ride
+Handling - seems you could lean her over as far as you wanted with no issue
+Fit and finish - looks great, paint was very deep

Minuses
-Seat position - don't think I'd like my leg/foot position on long rides / no where to stretch out
-Controls / Shifting - Toes point down a lot to shift/brake  However, with time on the machine  :nixweiss:
-Handlebars - seemed too narrow / again time on the machine  :nixweiss:

I have to admit, since HD can't seem to get their QC issues in order, I will seriously look at this machine in a year or two. Several of us mentioned this fact to the Harley reps at MV GTG. They appeared non-pulsed by this. Unfortunate. I hope BMW address' some of the "touring comfort" issues in that time. Very nice machine.

FWIW

JW

Robmay - enjoy her, she's a great machine.

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 11:29:38 AM »

Neither of those dealers have one Darth. Just for what its worth, I wouldn't go to either of those based on my past experiences. Your luck may be different. The guys at Euro Cycles in Tampa (actually Odessa) were very accommodating without being pushy at all. Erin, the owner, was there all day and was helping push the bikes back in at the end of the day. He came over to my truck as we were leaving to head home and asked what I thought of the bike. I told him I placed a deposit on one and he said I wouldn't regret it, shook my hand and said he guaranteed it. My sales person was John Beach. The manager of the store even got involved AFTER the deposit to see if he had the other seat (taller) available on another bike for me to try out. He went out back for a while, returned and said there wasn't one but if he got one in with the next couple of months he'd let me know and I could come try it out and change my order (it takes 4-6 months to get my new one).

Maybe you know some folks at one or both of those other dealers, but if not, I think you will be very happy to check out the dealer I went to.

http://www.eurocyclesoftampabay.com/

Now that you mentioned it, the guy at the Daytona dealer (main street bridge) was kinda of an a*s once, and I believe both dealers are owned by the same guy. So I might go to the Tampa one , May I mention to them that we spoke? (well. kinda spoke )

Thanks

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »

Now that you mentioned it, the guy at the Daytona dealer (main street bridge) was kinda of an a*s once, and I believe both dealers are owned by the same guy. So I might go to the Tampa one , May I mention to them that we spoke? (well. kinda spoke )

Thanks

Absolutely. Rob May from Ocala.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »

I test rode one on my way to the MV GTG.

Pluses
+Impression - someone put a fairing and luggage on a race bike / damn this thing is powerful / I really like this bike
+Good low end power - she gets up and moves very nicely from a stop
+Great power @ 5000 rpm - felt like someone gave the bike a shove / did 110 on an on-ramp without realizing my speed
+Suspension - very solid ride with good comfort but this is based on a short test ride
+Handling - seems you could lean her over as far as you wanted with no issue
+Fit and finish - looks great, paint was very deep

Minuses
-Seat position - don't think I'd like my leg/foot position on long rides / no where to stretch out
-Controls / Shifting - Toes point down a lot to shift/brake  However, with time on the machine  :nixweiss:
-Handlebars - seemed too narrow / again time on the machine  :nixweiss:

I have to admit, since HD can't seem to get their QC issues in order, I will seriously look at this machine in a year or two. Several of us mentioned this fact to the Harley reps at MV GTG. They appeared non-pulsed by this. Unfortunate. I hope BMW address' some of the "touring comfort" issues in that time. Very nice machine.

FWIW

JW

Robmay - enjoy her, she's a great machine.

Yeah, their (most it seems, not all) attitudes are so "who cares?" anymore. Seems worse than ever to me in an economic time they should be going the other way.

That being said, it won't change because we just keep taking it ( and seems we always will). Money or lack thereof will be the only thing to change the perspective. I mean we have lots of folks on another thread discussing carrying gadgets to fuel their bikes properly. Someone else mentioned the 2012's had resolved this issue. If so what about the rest of us that spent $36,000-$40,000 for a MOTORCYCLE? Can't we get a fix for some of these issues?

This is why I went the way I did (even though I am keeping my CVO for now). I am sick and tired of being sick and tired of talking about the exact same things we have been talking about since I joined this site. It's like I tell my co-workers, "it's okay to make mistakes, as long as they are new ones......"

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »

Congrats mi amigo Rob...I hope to see you next weekend in Daytona...

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 12:29:54 PM »

Congrats mi amigo Rob...I hope to see you next weekend in Daytona...

Thanks Jorge. I may not make it this year....again.. :-\

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 12:30:39 PM »

Good read THANKS, keep it coming when you get more miles and trips on bike-ak

We'll do Ak! Will probably be Spring next year before I get it.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »

Congrats on the new ride Rob! I pray for many safe miles of enjoyment! Again, congratulations and God Bless buddy! :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks a lot JR!! I appreciate it...

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »

They are great machines. Have a friend who has one and his oil pump went out before Panama City BW last weekend and they had him a new 1600 demo to use. What still amazes me is the price of that bike loaded up to that of a HD. I could buy 2 for the cost but not the American heritage and the lifestyle. Good luck you have the best of both worlds now.

Mr. May, it's a beautiful bike.
Get the Akrapovic slip on's and enjoy the sound, the power and the ride!

;)

SBB
Wow Rob,,   you don't mess around... i thought you were thinking about it, but I didn't think that you'd pull the trigger so fast.  I'm happy for you guys,,   enjoy the ride, I am sure it will be different. :2vrolijk_21:
Congratulations on your purchase, Rob... 

Nothing wrong with having a stable of rides!   :2vrolijk_21:
Congrats on the Beemer Rob!!   They are great machines and fun to ride.  The only reason I don't have another one is because the seating position is too crowded for me.  I haven't sat on the 1600 GTL yet, but I'd like to see if it still has a cramped, for me, riding position.

:devil:

Thank you very much everyone!! Very much appreciated!  :2vrolijk_21:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »

Thanks for sharing the experience Rob and I look forward to reading more from you on this bike as you rack up more miles...

All the Best

Thanks Dick, hope to see yo guys soon!

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »

Congrats on the new bike.  I have intentionally stayed away from test riding those bikes for fear I may like them.  Can't afford another one and not wanting to give up what I have. 
*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »

I have had a phone call and some PM's about this so I thought I would start a thread. I know there is some curiosity if nothing else out there....  :drink:

This is copied from a PM I sent to Terry.....

The bike is a lot different than what I am used to. However, that being said by the time I got done with the test ride I was digging it. Loads of torque. I loved the fact that I could stay on 4th or 5th gear in town and go from less than 2k RPM's to 5k without down or up shifting. The seat was comfortable to me but Annette said her backrest was poking her in the back. So much so she had me sit on the back when we got back to the dealer. Sure enough it was. I am pretty certain that I can have that fixed at a local upholstery shop. Just needs to be flattened out with some more padding or gel. It had a "cup" in the middle so two spots hit your back and nothing in the middle.

Heat. I felt some heat on my left ankle. However, I wore low profile tennis shoes and not my normal riding boots. I did this on purpose as I wasn't sure what to expect in the foot peg/shifting spacing. When I moved my foot towards the outside of the left peg it immediately went away. Cool. NO OTHER HEAT ANYWHERE!! Yahoosie!! The salesman even started it up and let it idle while he was going thru all of the bells and whistles before we left. After the bike was running for about 5 minutes, I told my buddy "we wouldn't be able to be standing here right now if this was MY bike." Lol.

Wind. It was EXTREMELY windy yesterday down in Tampa. My wife said she was catching a lot of cross wind. However, I was good tucked in the drivers seat. No push or sway to the bike at all that I was aware of. I like the electronic adjustable windshield on this bike. Just a thumb switch away and I can go from looking a few inches over (I'm 5' 10") to looking thru the shield about 5 inches below. Didn't bother me at all looking thru it either.

Driving Modes. There were three driving modes. Rain, Normal and Dynamic. I started off in the rain mode as suggested by the salesman. And as he told me, I felt a little uncoordinated between the clutch and throttle in that mode. It limits the torque and HP to keep you from spinning out. Kinda a ABS for the throttle if you will. There is also a setting to shut it all off (as in a car) and have full TQ and HP. Once I was in normal and Dynamic modes I was shifting more comfortably. Again, way different than our bikes, but nothing a few hours behind the shield couldn't fix completely.

Suspension. Here's where it gets fun. You have three modes of suspension. Comfort, Normal and Sport. Each you can tell a difference. Keep in mind you can do all of this from the drivers seat, WHILE riding down the road at any speed. Then it takes it a bit further. You can also adjust for one rider, tow riders or two riders with luggage. Wild.

Dual heated seats, heated grips, Bluetooth capable although you have to purchase a specific helmet from them that has it all installed by them and they are about $1100.00 a piece. I will do a lot more studying on that. However the buttons are integrated into the side of the helmet. Power, volume up and volume down. While listening to music via the radio or iPod setup (not included but wired) and you talk to one another it switches to intercom automatically. When a call comes in it will answer automatically answer after 5 seconds if you do not give it a command or it follows your command on the Zumo 660 (which isn't included in the price of the bike).

To be continued......

I should have called you!  Judy and I were in Tampa this weekend visiting our daughter!

The wind was bad Saturday.  We rode back to Augusta yesterday in rain and wind from Tampa to Jesup GA!
 :nervous:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
    • Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »

Great review - much appreciated. I'm also contemplating the BMW. Question: What did Annette decide on as the pros and cons? Did she prefer the BMW? It doesn't have rear speakers, was that something to ponder?

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

masiman

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 10:54:19 PM »

I wish there was a dealer in central MS.    I want one Rob.    Anyone out there interested in a five month old cvo ultra classic with just 8400 miles?   Masi 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.