Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Test Rode the 2012 BMW K1600 GTL Yesterday........  (Read 53462 times)

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Test Rode the 2012 BMW K1600 GTL Yesterday........
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 12:41:17 AM »

I hear ya Masi. I'll be a broken record as I think I mentioned this before. We test rode a 1600 and it was awesome but for us old fat folk it just didn't fit us right. Thought I had some photos on this computer but not finding them. We rode the GTL that morning and then went to the HD shop that evening. First time on a HD in 20 yrs and something clicked and a few days later big blue followed me home. Since I just dream about riding these days, the GTL is coming back into my mind. Hard to think of the CVO as just a trophy bike and not put many miles on it but the thought has come to mind now and then. All depends on what happens next work wise in Afghanistan. If I loose my job then I'll probably have to sell my bagger. I know I won't find the same payscale back home and selling 3 bikes off to keep one is about my only other option. Do-able I reckon but sure to be a bigger cash loss than just taking the hit on big blue. Just mind speak....
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 08:45:35 AM »

what color one piece riding suit did you order? :P

j/k, hope it fulfills all yer needs and wants in a bike.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 08:48:02 AM »

TN

Don't think any one bike could ever do that. We all make compromises when we buy a bike. Guys with bigger stables have a greater chance of having all their wants and needs met but I have yet to see any one bike that would meet all my wants and needs. Same with cars and other toys.

I've test ridden the BMW twice and it is a hell of a machine! You have to respect them for what they have designed and built. They chose different design and mechanical standards to chase but they did a great job with the ones they settled on. I would have one in my garage if I could afford it but would not be without a Harley.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:51:08 AM by Buy early »

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »

Don't think any one bike could ever do that. We all make compromises when we buy a bike. Guys with bigger stables have a greater chance of having all their wants and needs met but I have yet to see any one bike that would meet all my wants and needs. Same with cars and other toys.

I've test ridden the BMW twice and it is a hell of a machine! You have to respect them for what they have designed and built. They chose different design and mechanical standards to chase but they did a great job with the ones they settled on. I would have one in my garage if I could afford it but would not be without a Harley.

roger that, at one time i had 5 bikes in the barn. down to two road glides now, times are tough. 8)

Ride On

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

LincolnUSA

• LincolnUSA
  • Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac B X-Pipe, 2.0" Baffles, TTS Mastertune
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 09:04:56 AM »

How much for one of those BMWs?

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 09:18:52 AM »

How much for one of those BMWs?

GTL  about $23,000
GT    about $20,000

That's base price, w/o premium package etc, etc. the GTL could go up to 26-27.

That is if you can get it. No idea if the dealer are gauging because of the short supply.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:20:40 AM by darth davidson »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 10:57:44 AM »

About the same as a comparably equipped 'Wing.  This bike will pull some 'Wing riders off their bikes and on to this one once the supply side catches up with the demand.  2 more years, I think.

Hell of a lot nicer bike than a 'Wing, IMO.  The 2012 'Wing is nothing new...same old, same old.  Honda will have to do some changes to maintain their market.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 12:09:58 PM »

About the same as a comparably equipped 'Wing.  This bike will pull some 'Wing riders off their bikes and on to this one once the supply side catches up with the demand.  2 more years, I think.

Hell of a lot nicer bike than a 'Wing, IMO.  The 2012 'Wing is nothing new...same old, same old.  Honda will have to do some changes to maintain their market.
X2. Honda has not change anything even to their car models!!!! That's why their sales are so low!

BMW is the Ultimate Riding Machine. Still love my SERGU, however this is a complete different beast.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »

I really like the BMW too like many above. I just wish they named the model something else besides GTL........
Too much reality TV in my family I guess? Reminds me of Jersey Shore folk talking about their GTL (Gym , Tanning and Laundry)  :huepfenlol2:

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »

Plan to do a test ride myself, was going to buy a 2012 HD SE Ultra,  :confused5:  but think I am going to hold off.....

The BMW does sound interesting....think we"ll still be invited to Maggie Valley!!!  :nixweiss:  LOL  :nixweiss:

napalm
napalm

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »

Plan to do a test ride myself, was going to buy a 2012 HD SE Ultra,  :confused5:  but think I am going to hold off.....

The BMW does sound interesting....think we"ll still be invited to Maggie Valley!!!  [/color] :nixweiss:  LOL  :nixweiss:

napalm

Sounds like we may need to change the name to MV 2012 BMW Gathering!
 ;D

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »

roger that, at one time i had 5 bikes in the barn. down to two road glides now, times are tough. 8)

Ride On

TN

You spent half of yo'rn money on liquor, womens and song, and pi$$ed off the other half.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »

Great review - much appreciated. I'm also contemplating the BMW. Question: What did Annette decide on as the pros and cons? Did she prefer the BMW? It doesn't have rear speakers, was that something to ponder?

Thanks. The only 2 "concerns" she had was she wanted the foot pegs higher and the back rest her wrong. Both should be easy fixes. She doesn't listen to music on the one we have now so no problem with the missing rear speakers.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »

TN

Blue...of course!  :drink:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »

For sure B.E. I'm just looking forward to something a little different. The biggest difference (I hope) will be buying a bike that I don't have to spend another 5k on to get right....(well...I'm not sure "right" is the right word) and just ride it like it is for a while. Maybe longer.... :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.