Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Anyone familiar with the old TR6 Triumph bikes?  (Read 3583 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Anyone familiar with the old TR6 Triumph bikes?
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »

My brother in law and his dad bought this at an auction today.  It's a 58.  Neither of them ride (or ride much) and it will live in my shop so I'm stoked they got it!  Anyone who knows how to spell S t e v e M c Q u e e n knows that these bikes are cool.  

Back in the late 70s I had one or one and a half or so of these bikes.  Went through things pretty quickly then and honestly don't remember much about it other than that it behaved like any other Brit bike I had early on.  You had to carry tools and not be afraid to use them.

Anyone here know more about them?  Particular problem areas or necessary changes for reliability?

This one sputters and tries to start but won't run.  Was told it hadn't been run in "two or three years."  Of course that could as easily be eight or ten as these things go.

At least in the engine pic he sent I don't see a coil so it might be old enough to be a mag bike.  In either case going to look for an electronic conversion kit for the ignition.  They want to get it running so (hopefully) a fun winter project will be here soon!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:23:10 PM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Anyone familiar with the old TR6 Triumph bikes?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »

Blurry cell phone pic.  But, hey, it's red!  After it gets running someone I know is going to ride this little bitch (and in his head he'll be Steve McQueen!).

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »

No idea on the TR6.............................But it's a sweet winter project........................I'll be looking forward to your progress reports though. Good luck Don.......................Fuzz
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 09:51:59 PM »

Nice!   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »

Duel stright pipes I like it already.   :2vrolijk_21:  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:00:15 PM by bubba »
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »

:-* :-* :-* :) :2vrolijk_21: :drink:(kinda like my ole single carbed BSA.  Lots of weak points, but lotsa 'soul' too.  :coolblue: har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 11:25:51 PM »

CVO-itis has weird tentacles.  Years ago would have been satisfied just to keep something like this running without having to keep a cup beneath it for recycling.  Now have discovered belt drive conversion kits and brake upgrades and many other things.   And it's not even my bike!!

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

• CVO1: FLHXSESG2
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 12:51:18 AM »

I have a '69 TR6 that I have pretty much rebuilt, had similar problems to what you are saying with the electrical system, you will find the coils tight up against the frame tucked up under the tank, there is a main earthing terminal behind the battery under the seat, check this out first that it is not corroding & you have a good earth. A lot of people put Boyer electronic ignitions on which are pretty straightforward to fit. Also check connections at the rectifier at the front of the bike. Unfortunately don't get to ride mine that much after getting the CVO.  :cucumber:

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
    • Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 01:39:23 AM »

As we all know, this is the recycle age where ol' styles get reinvented with a modern twist. Your  question came hot on the heels of an article I read:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/642/11384/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Triumph-T100-Steve-McQueen-Edition.aspx

Supposed to be only 1100 of them available. Good luck on the restoration - I envy your project.

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 01:43:43 AM »

I have a '69 TR6 that I have pretty much rebuilt, had similar problems to what you are saying with the electrical system, you will find the coils tight up against the frame tucked up under the tank, there is a main earthing terminal behind the battery under the seat, check this out first that it is not corroding & you have a good earth. A lot of people put Boyer electronic ignitions on which are pretty straightforward to fit. Also check connections at the rectifier at the front of the bike. Unfortunately don't get to ride mine that much after getting the CVO.  :cucumber:

Thank you Paul.  Only an hour ago ran in to a couple of articles on the Boyer electronic ignition system.  One of them even had a Youtube link to to my ear sounded someone from the north doing the install.

Tracking down and cleaning up the grounds and other primary connections will be a first chore.  Thanks for the heads up on important locations.  Bike is supposed to be brought here tomorrow morning.  Hope it's not a mouse eaten mess in person.

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 01:42:36 PM »

Thank you Paul.  Only an hour ago ran in to a couple of articles on the Boyer electronic ignition system.  One of them even had a Youtube link to to my ear sounded someone from the north doing the install.

Tracking down and cleaning up the grounds and other primary connections will be a first chore.  Thanks for the heads up on important locations.  Bike is supposed to be brought here tomorrow morning.  Hope it's not a mouse eaten mess in person.
That guy is good, forget his name but he is from the North East, got some very good you tube links on all sorts of old triumph related things, well worth a look. Also look at the following http://www.triumphrat.net/ it is a US based site but loads of info, when I was doing my resto I got lots of help & advice.

Good luck with it, Paul.  :cucumber:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 02:45:43 PM »

That guy is good, forget his name but he is from the North East, got some very good you tube links on all sorts of old triumph related things, well worth a look. Also look at the following http://www.triumphrat.net/ it is a US based site but loads of info, when I was doing my resto I got lots of help & advice.

Thanks again Paul.  That's a site I'd not yet discovered.  Did discover more links from that same guy doing the Boyer install.  Amusing and helpful at the same time.  Could drink beer and watch and listen to him work.  Actually, come to think of it, that's what I did :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »

Oh yeah, it's here now too.  Brother in law and his dad dropped it off this morning.  It's a well ridden old bike that doesn't give the first impression of being any worse than just well used though.  Not all beat up.

Last tag on it dates to 1984.  So no telling how long since it's actually been run.  Tires dry rotted but they hold air for a couple hours.  Bike came with a couple new tires.  No reason to put them on yet though.  Cool red and black striped seat.  Cracked through down each side but eventually it'll have to get recovered in its original pattern.  It's a cool seat.  No broken brake or other cables (though the front brake cable is frayed). 

All the brakes at least function.  Though my left foot would have have a hell of a time remembering where that rear brake is while it was yelling at my right foot to "shift you idiot, shift!"  Harness isn't mouse eaten but someone has been in to it before.  So it will get some TLC and careful reconnaisance before being trusted too far. 

Unfortunately it looks like it was stopped being ridden when someone couldn't get it running a bunch of years ago.  Found a note in it saying had changed points then mag and "a few other things" but still can't get it to run.  It'll fire and spit a bit.  But that's all.  Given the time since anything has moved well on it will have to count on starting at the tank and carb and working downhill until it's all been refreshed.  Then will try to kick it over again and see what happens.

Brother in law is more patient than I.  Me, I'd already have a parts order done.  First thing he's ordering is a Triumph t-shirt.  Then he'll get around to parts "sometime later."  It's going to such having this thing here to mess with at someone else's desire :huepfenlol2: .

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »

Twolane, if you haven't checked in with Gatornapper yet, he's a big time Triumph resto guy. Check his intro thread here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=63103.0;all

And his Triumph restoration thread here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/131945-72-bonnie-from-finding-to-buying-to-fixing-up-to-riding.html

Think he would be another good resource for you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »

Thank you Mark.  Hadn't seen that.  There are so many of them I almost never read the intro posts so had no clue that gent was Triumph guru he so obviously is. 

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »

If it is the guy I'm thinking of he is called Lunmad from the peak district area. He's got some great videos on YouTube.  :cucumber:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 07:14:25 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
Good luck with the project.  My first ride was a '63 TR6,  which was the first year for the "unit construction"......(which means the engine and trans are all one unit and not separate).   First of all,  for (electrics on a Triumph),  you're talkin'  LUCAS.   Lucas electronics are infamous for problems of various sorts.

Mine had a battery and worked fairly well,  a buddy had a '57 model with a (mag) and you didn't want to try and start it if there was any rain storm within 50 miles of where you were.........

It was my favorite bike ever.   I'd get another one if I could find one at the right price.

From memory.......I can tell ya that a unit construction motor weighs 129 pounds and the stock rear sprocket had 46 teeth.......and my 60 tooth "overlay" sprocket made it pretty good for enduros and hill climbs. :drink:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »

Good luck with the project.  My first ride was a '63 TR6,  which was the first year for the "unit construction"......(which means the engine and trans are all one unit and not separate).   First of all,  for (electrics on a Triumph),  you're talkin'  LUCAS.   Lucas electronics are infamous for problems of various sorts.

Mine had a battery and worked fairly well,  a buddy had a '57 model with a (mag) and you didn't want to try and start it if there was any rain storm within 50 miles of where you were.........

It was my favorite bike ever.   I'd get another one if I could find one at the right price.

From memory.......I can tell ya that a unit construction motor weighs 129 pounds and the stock rear sprocket had 46 teeth.......and my 60 tooth "overlay" sprocket made it pretty good for enduros and hill climbs. :drink:

Love Lucas electrics.  Have fought those battles before.  Haven't discovered yet if there's a large aftermarket repro market for parts for these things.  Have seen some bits and pieces but had to go ride the Road Glide all afternoon.  So the Brit bike had to sit in the corner next to the same brother in laws old early 60s Yamaha.  The Triumph will be at least be reborn.  The little Yamaha is dead meat.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 09:08:27 PM »

Surely you've got some better pics by now?! :nixweiss:

RidinRuby

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »

X2  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »

Ok, got to find some shoes.  Back in a minute or several.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 12:28:27 AM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 12:29:02 AM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 12:29:41 AM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 12:30:31 AM »

Bits in there not all recognized yet.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 12:31:50 AM »

Other bits that are still UFO.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 12:32:41 AM »

I dig the saddle.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 12:36:03 AM »

Ok, that's it.  No matter what other problems it may have the chain is so loose that Phaedrus would be very unhappy.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »

you're talkin'  LUCAS.   Lucas electronics are infamous for problems of various sorts.

Lucas--also known as "Prince of Darkness." ;)
If you want peace, prepare for war.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 07:59:08 AM »

:cherry:
Most Harley seats have a (pocket) to hold your azz.   Seats like those that come stock on a Triumph like this one do (not) have a pocket and are fairly level.  Do NOT attempt to Armor All that damn seat.   But of course,  if you do.............then do NOT attempt to show off by popping a wheelie.  The lack of a seat pocket plus Armor All and a "wheelie" do not mix well and you can/will part company with the bike pretty quick. :oops:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »

Looks like a sweet project! Time & money, if you have more of one, you nan get by with less of the other. Looking forward to thr resto.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »

i use to mess around with classic british bikes, nothing this early. looks like its all there. :2vrolijk_21:

when Triumph starting importing bikes to the USA again in 95 i sought out a daytona 1200 and purchased it. what a fine machine that was.

good find

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »

Thought you'd like to see my finished TR6  :cucumber:

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »

And another  :cucumber:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »

Ok, that's it.  No matter what other problems it may have the chain is so loose that Phaedrus would be very unhappy.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Nice project bike, Don.  As a kid, I think we all lusted after a Triumph at some point in time...at least those of us who are getting "long in the tooth".

The only bike I ever rode for a while that had the shifter/brake reversed was an old Matchless.  Only takes a few rides to reprogram the brain a bit.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »

It's since my very early 20s that I last had a Triumph (actually a Triumph and a half as well as I can remember it).  The crossed feet thing was the first thing I remembered on seeing this beastie.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »

Thought you'd like to see my finished TR6  :cucumber:

Thanks Paul.  Sent those pics to my brother in law to give him a goal and something to lust after.

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »

Thanks Paul.  Sent those pics to my brother in law to give him a goal and something to lust after.
Have changed it since the photo so will post up some pics later, same paint scheme but have done it like the US version of the TR6, changed the rear tail light, put stainless steel mudguards (fenders) & finally straight through TT pipes, I love it, but still get the occasional negative comment from the purists out there. Did not realise at first that yours is a pre-unit construction, they fetch more money over here.  :cucumber:

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 02:51:36 PM »

That's a great looking bike! 

I owned and maintained a 69 BSA Thunderbolt in the mid 70s, that had a the Layland ingition system and single SU Carb. 

I'd check the coil first, before tearing into any internal parts. 

Can't wait to see your finished product!  :2vrolijk_21:

Cheers,
Ken
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 04:39:15 PM »

Another 1

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »

This might be of interest:   k.d. lang's TR6 is up for auction at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles at the "Classic California: Collectors' Motorcycles, Motorcars, and Related Memorabilia,"  November 12, 2011.  It was restored for lang six years ago by Triumph expert Dean Collins of TT Cycles in the style of the C-model 650s favored by off-road riders "back in the day."  Work included a complete engine overhaul starting with a rebalanced crankshaft, ported and polished cylinder heads, Megacycle camshafts and a 750cc big-bore kit.  A single Mikuni carb was fitted for ease of starting and a reliable idle.  A custom set of flat-black high pipes adds to the off-road look, as do a set of trials universal tires.

Auction Estimate: US $20,000 - $24,000

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 02:20:18 PM »

k.d.

Sawyer Brown

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »

The bike here is definitely an old Brit bike.  Hasn't been licensed nor probably run in 25 years.  Nothing done to it here other than roll it down the ramp of a pickup truck and put the bike inside.  And already had to work on it :huepfenlol2: !

Yes, it leaked :drink: .

Had a fuel smell in the shop when walking in earlier.  Thought "uh oh, where's that coming from?"  Then had next thought of "oh yeah, there's an old Triumph in here."

Mystery solved.

No doubt someone poured some fuel in at its auction site.  Turns out the main petcock was leaking and the reserve was broken off (closed).  Drained the fuel and removed both taps.  All good for now.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »

Not sure what the ethanol will do the the Trumpets innerds.  :confused5: :nervous:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »

Not sure what the ethanol will do the the Trumpets innerds.  :confused5: :nervous:  spyder

Nor I.  But if there's much of an aftermarket for these things it seems likely fuel taps better than the old originals won't be uncommon.  Will keep my finger crossed.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2011, 03:53:58 PM »

Had a 1955 T110 tiger 650. Rebuilt the motor 2 times. bike ran great! You need to check the Brush's in the magneto. File or sand the points a little set the timing to 39 degrees before top dead center. If mag is set and working should start easy. Other things are you getting fuel? Throw that amal in the trash and get a mikuni conversion. Now if you really want to talk nitty triumph you can call me. I have gasket sets, pullers, wentworth wrench's and sockets I would like to get rid of. I would enjoy sharing my knowledge with you. Pm me for my cell number if you want. Good luck!  :2vrolijk_21:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »

Had a 1955 T110 tiger 650. Rebuilt the motor 2 times. bike ran great! You need to check the Brush's in the magneto. File or sand the points a little set the timing to 39 degrees before top dead center. If mag is set and working should start easy. Other things are you getting fuel? Throw that amal in the trash and get a mikuni conversion. Now if you really want to talk nitty triumph you can call me. I have gasket sets, pullers, wentworth wrench's and sockets I would like to get rid of. I would enjoy sharing my knowledge with you. Pm me for my cell number if you want. Good luck!  :2vrolijk_21:

Will do.  Thanks.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »

Will do.  Thanks.

There you go, Don...sounds like this will be a nice project on those cold winter days when it's raining and just generally yucky outside.  That would be a fun bike to take down old fireroads and such when it's up and running.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2011, 05:43:30 PM »

There you go, Don...sounds like this will be a nice project on those cold winter days when it's raining and just generally yucky outside.  That would be a fun bike to take down old fireroads and such when it's up and running.

I've had the same thought TC.  Brother in law's father will never ride it.  Brother in law most likely rarely ever will.  So someone will have to keep it run in.  Nice little mechanical resto without worrying a lot about most cosmetics and it'll be a toy that someone else will have paid most of the parts cost on.  They don't understand that asking me to work on is not an imposition but is instead just a chance for more therapy.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 09:01:48 PM »

Here is a 500CC that a buddy has as well as a 650CC too.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:09:07 PM by moscooter »

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »

Lucas--also known as "Prince of Darkness." ;)

Didn’t Lucas make the original three position headlight switch?  Dim, flicker and off! :D

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2011, 10:07:45 PM »

Didn't Lucas make the original three position headlight switch?  Dim, flicker and off! :D

Why do Brits drink warm beer?

(Because they use Lucas refrigerators....   :) )
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2011, 10:13:18 PM »

Why do Brits drink warm beer?

(Because they use Lucas refrigerators....   :) )

Because it also makes them goofy! :D

kansaskim47

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 10:16:45 PM »

;D ;D
I have a 1968 TR6 that a buddy left me with 30 years ago. Completly original with the exception of the Bates megaphone exhaust and the maltese cross tail light.  Had it running just after he left it but whatever Lucas used besides electricity went away.  Had no money at the time, so it just sat in dry storage.  Still free, but has no compression.  I'm looking forward to a good retirement project.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2011, 11:38:12 PM »

Didn’t Lucas make the original three position headlight switch?  Dim, flicker and off! :D

On this bike there's a fourth option.  Spin!

yeap, all the way around  :huepfenlol2:

Did get one piece of good news somewhat unexpectedly this evening though.  Found out earlier the magnetos for these are almost obscenely expensive.  Curiosity got the best of me so pulled the mag and tested it at ambient and after a 150 degree heat soak.  Looks like the bike has a good mag.  Whodathunkit...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »

Here is a 500CC that a buddy has as well as a 650CC too.

Seeing the pics of these gorgeous bikes is harardous.  The intent here from the brother in law is a nice basic mechanical restoration.  You guys are going to have me chasing cosmetics too.  And that'll be on my dime.  So stop it!   :nervous:

hogasm

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »

Seeing the pics of these gorgeous bikes is harardous.  The intent here from the brother in law is a nice basic mechanical restoration.  You guys are going to have me chasing cosmetics too.  And that'll be on my dime.  So stop it!   :nervous:

Stop fretting about those dimes and pull out some of those green backs that are buried in your back yard :coolblue:

I am going to a buddies farm this weekend. He is the Pres of the Japanese Vintage Motorcycle Association. Believe it or not he has quite a few Triumphs in his stable....of about 250 bikes. He is going to teach me the proper way to powder coat parts for originality.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »

Twolane those mags are pretty solid in my opinion. You can clean up the armature and put some new brushes in it and should be fine. If the armature has slop in it there are paper shims that can be added on the ends around the bearings. Pay close attention to the finalic (fiber material) gear/ advance unit.  If it is decaying or missing teeth you will want to replace it. Not a cheap part. When you set the timing I always used a zig zag rolling paper in the points. With crank set at 39 degrees before top dead center, turn the advance unit slowly open. Hold tension on the paper while turning the advance unit. When you hit wide open the paper should just be released. I would also set valves. Intake .002 and exhaust .003. Turn the motor over until rocker arm in at top position for each valve and then turn Thur again and recheck each valve until they are correct. These are the basics and will get you going. I would take that carb. off and soak it in some zep. or strong chemical and check jets for obstruction.
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »

And you just happened to have the Zig Zag papers on hand at the time... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: ::) ;)

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2011, 10:55:47 AM »

Twolane those mags are pretty solid in my opinion. You can clean up the armature and put some new brushes in it and should be fine. If the armature has slop in it there are paper shims that can be added on the ends around the bearings. Pay close attention to the finalic (fiber material) gear/ advance unit.  If it is decaying or missing teeth you will want to replace it. Not a cheap part. When you set the timing I always used a zig zag rolling paper in the points. With crank set at 39 degrees before top dead center, turn the advance unit slowly open. Hold tension on the paper while turning the advance unit. When you hit wide open the paper should just be released. I would also set valves. Intake .002 and exhaust .003. Turn the motor over until rocker arm in at top position for each valve and then turn Thur again and recheck each valve until they are correct. These are the basics and will get you going. I would take that carb. off and soak it in some zep. or strong chemical and check jets for obstruction.

Thanks again.  Have worked with mags a few times over the years but anyone's greater familiarity is always appreciated.  And it's been a very long time...

Until you mentioned it just now I'd not thought of it.  But now that you did mention I don't remember seeing an advance control to this mag on the bike.  Shouldn't there be a second control cable that looks like the choke control lever?  Or am I thinking of a different old Brit bike?

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2011, 02:02:10 PM »

No cable. The only advance is the mechanical weight type on the drive gear. You have to pull the right side cover and that gear is on a tapper shaft. I used a piece of oil hose 5/16"? on a bolt thru a degree wheel and stick it right on the end of the crank. You will have to pull the plugs and watch the pistons for top dead center. Break that gear loose so you can turn it. Getting it on and hitting that exact timing mark can be a little tricky but its doable. One thing about that mag is if you got fuel it will run. I had great reliability with the mag. Now the 6v postive ground generator is a whole other story! By the way you can use a 6v ford votage regulator which is way cheaper and more reiliable than that lucas nightmare! Good luck keeping the oil out of the generator.

2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 21 queries.