Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Help with a new company name  (Read 3775 times)

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
Re: Help with a new company name
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2012, 11:04:22 PM »

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2012, 07:57:02 AM »

Another thing I did some testing on is carbon monoxide levels. I have only used a Goldwing with stock exhaust, a Harley dresser with Rhineharts and one with a D&D borzilla. What we found was that when not moving the levels were higher than while going down the road. The exhaust forms a vortex, kinda like a jet engines exhaust swirling behind it. The levels while going 55mph were higher 5 feet behind the trailer than while inside it.

Wind buffeting was tested with the windows open and closed. I found that with 2 of the air openings....it has 2 windows, 1 roof vent, and the rear door can be held slightly open....but with 2 of the 4 open the buffeting is not present. It is present with only 1 open.

We also found that some dogs just lay down while moving, but there are some that just won't lay down even while riding in a car or truck.

What about heat Brian ? Did you test for interior temps ? Also the thing I mentioned with water ? When dogs get stressed they'll drink a lot. I agree on the laying down thing. It is one or the other. Zeus drops within 100yds of the vehicle moving. His legs are just so long that he gets tossed around a lot so it's easier for him to lie down. Of course he can still see out the window with his head up. A smaller dog wouldn't be able to. Anyway, I think the trailer is incredibly well thought out and from what we can see in the photos very well constructed. I am sure you'll sell a ton of them I wasn't trying to be a naysayer, just offering an opinion as you seemed to be seeking input from us. Perhaps as you grow the company you'll offer options like a fan, water dispenser, bedding, interior lighting. Maybe a window (fixed) in the front so the dog can see where he's going and one in the back for the reverse etc. I'd line any window with solar reflecting silver window sheeting.

Good Luck Brian

B B

hogasm

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »

What about heat Brian ? Did you test for interior temps ? Also the thing I mentioned with water ? When dogs get stressed they'll drink a lot. I agree on the laying down thing. It is one or the other. Zeus drops within 100yds of the vehicle moving. His legs are just so long that he gets tossed around a lot so it's easier for him to lie down. Of course he can still see out the window with his head up. A smaller dog wouldn't be able to. Anyway, I think the trailer is incredibly well thought out and from what we can see in the photos very well constructed. I am sure you'll sell a ton of them I wasn't trying to be a naysayer, just offering an opinion as you seemed to be seeking input from us. Perhaps as you grow the company you'll offer options like a fan, water dispenser, bedding, interior lighting. Maybe a window (fixed) in the front so the dog can see where he's going and one in the back for the reverse etc. I'd line any window with solar reflecting silver window sheeting.

Good Luck Brian

B B

Look at reply 33

hogasm

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 05:36:32 PM »

If I was a dog I'd be pissed I couldn't stick my head out the window. Gotta be able to do that.

Just ask for a window large enough for it to get it's head out of. I would recommend a set of doggles for any dog that hangs it's head out of any window....car, truck, etc...their eyes will dry out quickly without protection.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2012, 03:02:10 AM »

Curious if these will have a sealed lower compartment as well? It would be cool to be able to pack more stuff in the bottom (lower the CG) and then the pups up top in their own sealed section. Wouldn't work for bigger dogs but for a beagle and jack russell it might work. Or they'll just be so pissed that they chew on things. I'm thinking Vista Cruiser with a roof scoop and maybe removable (or secured) clear side panels. Hmmm, might even put in some kind of a speaker system or intercom. A bit extreme I guess but it would be difficult to hear them while wearing helmets. But it would allow us to listen for loud rumbling noises that would make them deaf. I like the Carbon monoxide monitor idea as well. Might need to get turned down muffler tips to keep the exhaust lower and out of the envelope. Just rambling on.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »

We are the one's JC mentioned that have the "Wags" dog trailer. Our dog Ruthie has traveled about 20K miles in the trailer. After watching Brian's build earlier, I have to commend him on pursuing this passion  :2vrolijk_21: Although Brian has addressed some concerns here, I will share our experiences and thoughts. Before taking Ruthie, Melanie (sgchick) rode in the trailer for a bit to check for exhaust and noise levels and all seemed fine. My mistake was in letting her out.  ;D I like the idea of a CO detector though. I have an inexpensive wireless indoor/outdoor thermomiter to check for trailer temps from my dash. Movement and airflow are essential in hot weather for lower trailer temps as well as CO buildup at anytime. Our windows are tinted to reduce solar heat and screened to prevent Ruthie from sticking her head out. We do have a solar fan to help in moderate traffic but if we are in heavy traffic in higher temps, we pull over in a shaded area or re route to keep some air flow in the trailer. We also have a cooler which essentially is a cooler filled with ice with a lid fan and port to help cool things down. Mounted on the trailer tongue close to the box is an additional cooler that we use to store dog food, water etc.. Someone even sells a wireless camera and dash screen to view your pets while traveling. We drew the line there though.
Ruthie has been through snow and rain storms but we avoid riding in excessive heat. Common sense must prevail when trailering pets. Speed and driving habits, CO levels, temps, road conditions, etc. should all be taken into account. It's  a lot of fun with all the attention and new folks we meet though, weather parked or on the road.
Best wishes to Brian on his new venture and I'm sure that with his love for dogs and attention to detail he will do well.
My vote for a name would be   "K9 KOACHES" or "K9 KRUISERS"

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2012, 11:55:49 AM »

Going to start up another company. this one will also be associated with motorcycles, well actually a trailer for your animal. I built one trailer for my dog Jade after using her crate just bolted too a flat bed. I received so much grief for towing her around like that so I built her a custom one.

I thought it would be cute to build one like a cattle trailer that we use on the farm hauling cows and pigs. I should have pulled a mold off the first one but decided to build each one individually, that way each one would be different and unique.

So what I am asking is to help with a name for this new company.
When are you going to choose a name for your company? Anxious here!

hogasm

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »

When are you going to choose a name for your company? Anxious here!

Lots of great ideas tossed around on here. This weekend we went to a family reunion in Richmond Va and Miketee's son-in-law came up with The Puppy Porter. I thought about producing a regular trailer and call it The "Porter" and the dog trailer the "Puppy Porter"

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2012, 05:40:19 PM »

Lots of great ideas tossed around on here. This weekend we went to a family reunion in Richmond Va and Miketee's son-in-law came up with The Puppy Porter. I thought about producing a regular trailer and call it The "Porter" and the dog trailer the "Puppy Porter"
Was this under the influance of white lightning.  I like the new name  :2vrolijk_21:

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »

We've traveled a lot with ours in a port-a-pet tied to the top of the different trailers we've had.  They make a cooling pad that you freeze the night before and put it under a bed or blanket/towel to help keep the temps down.  It seems to work well.  We've also taken the vacuum bags sealed with water and frozen them.  Put several in a pillowcase, then wrapped in a blanket will doo essnetially the same thing.  Works in OK and Tx in higher heat levels.

One thing I'd suggest, though it will really throw a minkey wrench into your design- air suspension.  It's amazing how rough riding springs (or torsion) is when it's relatively unloaded.  Our first trailer was an older steel spring design.  Very basic that did an outstanding job of being a trailer.  But, when we put our pooch on top, it eventually became obvious that it wasn't the best for her.  The ride was just too rough.  This became VERY evident when we decided to upgrade to a CSC Escapade air suspension trailer.  Prior to this, she would always be hanging around, knowing she was going, but not really trying to go with us.  Once we got the Escapade, she would be sitting at the back of the trailer as soon as it came out of the garage, waiting to be put in her "house".  Very obvious she could tell the difference between the trailers.  While much more expensive, I wouldn't consider a trailer without air ride if I was going to use it for one of my animals.  Even though there was very little difference to me driving the tow vehicle, there was a huge difference to the animal in the trailer.

You've got a neat looking rig there.  Ours always drew lots of attention when ever she was with us.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 09:51:19 PM »

Bark "O" Lounger

bed inside should resemble a recliner in genuine naugahyde  ... ;D
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »

I really like it, would be fun to have one  :2vrolijk_21:

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »

I like the idea of a CO detector though.

My wife and I are thinking about one of your Trailers take the youngest of our two Goldens with us on some road trips. It would be nice to take both but simply no room and our older Retreiver hates anything to do with vehicles anyway. Our two big concerns were CO Gas and Heat,,, I like your idea on the cooler and curioous how well it works in say 95 degree day? It's pretty difficult to encounter anything cooler during the summer months and there is no way I would put my pet in an enclosedto  box above 85 degrees without some good cool ventalization.  I found a few remote CO detectors on a Google Search that may help to alert a MC driver of excessive CO in the trailer,  somthing I would insist on having...  JC passed your contact info to me and if my wife and I can agree/decide on a few of our concerns, I'll be calling you  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:23:05 AM by cvobiker »

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »

This is not what we have but I would bet that hogasm could retrofit it onto one of his upcoming trailers  :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.swampy.net/12vcombo.html

hogasm

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »

This is not what we have but I would bet that hogasm could retrofit it onto one of his upcoming trailers  :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.swampy.net/12vcombo.html

When I built the first one I planned on building a cooler into the nose of the trailer. It was not going to be removable. I was going to install a heater core in the bottom of the cooler and pipe air through the core into the trailer. The ice in the cooler would cool the air in the core. I procrastinated long enough that last 4th of July it was 105 outside. Jade's coat was only 72 degrees, checked with a inferred thermometer. That trip nixed that idea, but it is still on the drawing board.
Still anyone should use common sense as to when to travel in the heat with any animal.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 24 queries.