Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Thought I would try something different.  (Read 30810 times)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
Re: Thought I would try something different.
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2014, 12:20:16 PM »

This is the real wheel after stripping all the anodizing off with oven cleaner, quick wet sanding and then polishing ...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:22:02 PM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2014, 12:27:52 PM »

Another, keep in mind this has been collecting dust for a few years. I just gave it a wipe for the pic so the finish has probably died a little from when I first did it.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2014, 01:15:41 PM »

Here is a 1800 Wheel that has been painstakingly polished.  Take them off and go to a large truck stop and get the guys that polish the wheels on big rigs to do them if you don't want to do them yourself.  When I had my tool shop I used to chuck them up in a lathe and polish them.  My Fatboy wheels where so shiny everyone thought they where chromed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:18:35 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2014, 01:29:45 PM »

Here is a 1800 Wheel that has been painstakingly polished.  Take them off and go to a large truck stop and get the guys that polish the wheels on big rigs to do them if you don't want to do them yourself.  When I had my tool shop I used to chuck them up in a lathe and polish them.  My Fatboy wheels where so shiny everyone thought they where chromed.

:2vrolijk_21: Sweet! That's what everyone thought about mine too, some didn't believe I just polished them. I won't lie, it takes some time and effort but well worth it. The nice thing is once you get them to that stage it's easy to keep them that way with a little Nevr-Dull once in a while.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2014, 08:52:48 PM »

The more I think about it the more I think how nice that reverse gear has to be.  I suppose you don't miss what you don't have but I have put myself into situations that a reverse gear would be great for an old guy like me with a bad back, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that one.  Since you live so close are you prepping your Wing for a possible assault on the  Yellow -Wolf record on the Dragon. As far as I know his bike was stock with the exception of the Traxxion package and different tires.  Last fall I picked up a clean used 2012 FJR in Cobalt Blue with a heated Corbin seat, heated grips and raised bars.  I don't know how long I will keep it but when I take it out I'm continually looking for a 6th gear?  It's just something different.   I'm sure this is no surprise to you but when folks come over the first thing they say is how much they like the blue!   

Should we be checking YouTube for something like Blue Wing smashes the old time record set by Yellow Wolf! 

Enjoy the addition to your stable.   

Ray

Let me tell you a story on the history of my Wing. Nancy and I were very lucky to stay with a couple of site members for the Harley 110th this past year in Milwaukee. The site member and his best friend both had Screamin Eagles BUT, they both also had Goldwings. They both love their Screamin Eagles but also enjoy their Wings. The six of us had a blast but I never told them I was also checking out their Wings when I had a chance.
Now fast forward a few months later and Nancy and I had ridden to our place in Maggie Valley on the 11.5 SEUC. The plan is till the house is complete the driveway will be gravel. I have people working on the property a bunch and they had rutted up the stone in the driveway. So as we pulled onto the property I pulled to a place kind of uphill knowing I could then back up and head out when it was time. Only problem, I pulled into a maybe two inch deep rut. I couldn't back it up, Nancy had to get off and push the back bike. Later that evening as I rehashed the "can't back up" event I realized if I had reverse their would have never been as issue. Hmmmm maybe Richard and Mike were right about those Wings. So I started looking seriously for a older but in good shape Wing. About two months later I brought home the blue Wing.
So after a few mods, a lot of clean up and a few miles getting use to it, we rode to Eagles Nest. I pulled right up next to the camper in an area that was low. The front wheel was in a big dip. The SEUC would have been stuck. Engage reverse on the Wing and it backed right out.
Life was and is good.
The Harley's are keepers, the Wing is fun and different but maybe the bottom line is I just love to ride.

About Yellow Wolf, he lives close in the Valley and his riding skills are what legends are made out of.
I have a lot of respect for him and his riding abilities.

SBB

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:38:36 PM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2014, 05:46:32 PM »

Thanks for the history,  just reaffirms the convenience of that reverse gear.  Thanks for sharing, makes perfect sense to try something different. 

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2014, 06:48:18 PM »

Well Chip, anytime you want to take a long trip you'll possibly see some other advantages of Mr. Blue. Like you said we love our CVO's but we also love our Wings too! I just feel very blessed to be able to have both and enjoy both. No bike is perfect and if I had more money I'd have a lot more. I just picked the 2 best at the time.

Richard (tazmun)

The "TAZMUN"
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.